How you use AC at night?

scubascuba3

24 all night on the lowest mode. The new Panasonic inverter is whisper quiet and keeps us comfy all night. I use a very light comforter. My woman uses an Arctic comforter. 

Life is too short to not be comfortable when sleeping. And there are maybe 20 nights a year these days, when the AC is not needed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, topt said:

Even that may struggle........ 

Unfortunately the Daikin calculator that I used before seems to have gone but found this after searching for a bit -

https://pattaya-property.net/what-size-air-conditioning-unit-do-i-need/

Best of luck :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the aircon size table topt, and will let you know how things go.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They must be funded by the fossil fuel folks, wanting you to use more.  15.6 to 20C is damn chilly.  I let the dog out for midnight 'P', and it's chilly out there.

Yet they recommend people to stay out of water at those temps (60 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit 15.6 to 20 degrees Celsius), as it may cause hypothermia.   If you need blankets on to feel comfy, then the temp is too low.   

And yes, I understand emersion in water is different than ambient air temp, but <20C is chilly.

image.png.16dd43cc97c236ff18aa09ede73e488a.png

Blankets are less effective in the water as well. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, transam said:

Gets hot upstairs at my place, so A/C on when we go up until the temp is down, 25*, then ceiling fan on all night.

Downstairs no A/C, just ceiling fans........😋

You know what they say about hot air rises LOL

Stop breathing while reading AN

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

1) I'm trying all different things, usually i just give the bedroom a burst around the time i sleep for an hour, then 3 thirty min bursts during the night 27⁰ when i wake up. No duvet needed. Plus fan

2) AC on all night 27⁰, light duvet needed but still wake up 3 times.

3) Last night tried 1) but on Dry mode with average success, sleep was a little more disturbed than usual.

1 is probably best but not perfect.

What works best for you?

I want the background hum even now during the cool-hot season with temperatures in the teens here in Chiang Mai. Recently moved into new house, the Daiken new air conditioners do not run the fan constantly in "Dry Mode" so ... I have been turning air on for a bit before bed. During the night I hit "Fan Only". Will have to see what setting will work for us in the hot-hot season.

According to sleep science, the optimal room temperature for good nighttime sleep is around 65°F (18.3°C). This recommendation is based on your body’s internal temperature regulation, which follows a circadian rhythm1. During a 24-hour period, your body’s internal temperature naturally shifts, and this rhythm plays a crucial role in your sleep quality. As you sleep, your core body temperature drops, and a cooler room makes it easier to fall and stay asleep. Most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 68°F (15.6 to 20°C) for the most comfortable sleep2. So, aim for a cozy and cool sleep environment to promote restful nights! 😴🌙
  • Like 1

According to sleep science, the optimal room temperature for good nighttime sleep is around 65°F (18.3°C). This recommendation is based on your body’s internal temperature regulation, which follows a circadian rhythm. During a 24-hour period, your body’s internal temperature naturally shifts, and this rhythm plays a crucial role in your sleep quality. As you sleep, your core body temperature drops, and a cooler room makes it easier to fall and stay asleep. Most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 68°F (15.6 to 20°C) for the most comfortable sleep. 

Edited by RayOday
Clean up spelling - Xtra letter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

Doing bursts like this is probably just as expensive as simply leaving it on a moderate setting all night?

Or use the timer.......

But that is the problem, I know of no A/C that you can set to turn OFF.

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

1) I'm trying all different things, usually i just give the bedroom a burst around the time i sleep for an hour, then 3 thirty min bursts during the night 27⁰ when i wake up. No duvet needed. Plus fan

2) AC on all night 27⁰, light duvet needed but still wake up 3 times.

3) Last night tried 1) but on Dry mode with average success, sleep was a little more disturbed than usual.

1 is probably best but not perfect.

What works best for you?

Much the same, except that I opt for 29 degrees.

10 minutes ago, RayOday said:

According to sleep science, the optimal room temperature for good nighttime sleep is around 65°F (18.3°C). This recommendation is based on your body’s internal temperature regulation, which follows a circadian rhythm1. During a 24-hour period, your body’s internal temperature naturally shifts, and this rhythm plays a crucial role in your sleep quality. As you sleep, your core body temperature drops, and a cooler room makes it easier to fall and stay asleep. Most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 68°F (15.6 to 20°C) for the most comfortable sleep. 

That's good information, so thank you very much for that, this especially as I've always been a bit of a "hot sleeper".

Of course for the last two nights with my aircon being out of commission, I've laid on top of my bed, with the ceiling fan on, sweating like a "pig" and absolutely soaking my pillows with sweat.

Just getting back onto my predicament (hopefully I won't get offside with the mods or too many other posters) the aircon man came round this morning and did a thorough clean of my aircon unit, both inside and outside units, in fact he took everything to pieces, which was a joy to see and he pointed out what the problem was........a pretty hefty buildup of fat and dust on the fan, as well as cooking oil getting into the cooling fins on the inside unit!

I asked him if I should buy a new unit and he said this one was perfectly okay, but if I'm doing my cooking indoors, just about directly beneath it, I need to think about a way to alleviate this (this because I don't have a cooker hood or similar)!

So rather than look for a new aircon unit, which would present me with the same problems eventually, according to him, I'm investigating other options.

Edited by xylophone

I set it to 26°C when in the room, and turn it down to 24°C for sleep. Night time temperature in Hat Yai seldom gets below 26°C this time of year with a humidity is 80-90%, it's uncomfortable without A/C.

We have AC on 26 all night - though sometimes turn it off if I get too cold.  Ceiling fan on as well - but took a long time to convince wife that it won't fall down and mince us.  I hope i'm not wrong...

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

That's good information, so thank you very much for that, this especially as I've always been a bit of a "hot sleeper".

Of course for the last two nights with my aircon being out of commission, I've laid on top of my bed, with the ceiling fan on, sweating like a "pig" and absolutely soaking my pillows with sweat.

Just getting back onto my predicament (hopefully I won't get offside with the mods or too many other posters) the aircon man came round this morning and did a thorough clean of my aircon unit, both inside and outside units, in fact he took everything to pieces, which was a joy to see and he pointed out what the problem was........a pretty hefty buildup of fat and dust on the fan, as well as cooking oil getting into the cooling fins on the inside unit!

I asked him if I should buy a new unit and he said this one was perfectly okay, but if I'm doing my cooking indoors, just about directly beneath it, I need to think about a way to alleviate this (this because I don't have a cooker hood or similar)!

So rather than look for a new aircon unit, which would present me with the same problems eventually, according to him, I'm investigating other options.

Get a hood. Is your kitchen on an exterior wall? If so, it's cheap and easy. 

26 minutes ago, RayOday said:

According to sleep science, the optimal room temperature for good nighttime sleep is around 65°F (18.3°C). This recommendation is based on your body’s internal temperature regulation, which follows a circadian rhythm. During a 24-hour period, your body’s internal temperature naturally shifts, and this rhythm plays a crucial role in your sleep quality. As you sleep, your core body temperature drops, and a cooler room makes it easier to fall and stay asleep. Most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 68°F (15.6 to 20°C) for the most comfortable sleep. 

That explains why i sleep better in hotels when it's freezing as the AC thermostat is often broken 

19 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I dunno, but if you need a/c all the time I don't think a tropical country is a good fit for you. Weather is an important factor to where you live.

I had a neighbor who did the a/c thing all the time. He finally gave in and just moved.

That's strange. If it's hot out at night like in Thailand you use a/c. So I guess if you lived in New England you would get used to the cold and not use heat late October to May? Or move to Florida?

23 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

But that is the problem, I know of no A/C that you can set to turn OFF.

I can manually turn my a/c on with the remote and then tell it to turn off after 1,2,3,4 hours.

I have bought a WiFi controller, which I can program on my phone for it to go a/c on, down to fan at predetermined times. For me ON at 19.30 to 21.00, then fan until morning. If it gets too hot, I can manually turn it on for an hour or so with the remote. Best I can think of.