Air quality in most of the country to improve for a week

webfact

image.png

Bangkok and 37 other provinces are still facing high levels of PM2.5 airborne pollution, but the situation is expected to improve tomorrow through next Saturday, the Pollution Control Department reported yesterday.

Meanwhile, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) reports that, during the first two weeks of this month, 113 people visited the city’s 8 air pollution clinics seeking treatment for pollution-related symptoms, compared to 100 during the same period last year.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Tavida Kamolvej said that most of the patients are from Bang Kor Laem, Nong Khaem, Bang Khae, Nong Chok, Yan Nawa and Bang Khun Thian districts, which have been hit by continuous and excessive levels of PM2.5.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-02-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

Bangkok and 37 other provinces are still facing high levels of PM2.5 airborne pollution, but the situation is expected to improve tomorrow through next Saturday, the Pollution Control Department reported yesterday.

Improve to what degree?

9.99 on a scale of 1-10?

"Expected" is the key word.....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, webfact said:
34 minutes ago, webfact said:

...how comes?

Edited by Pique Dard
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Rather a Non-entity?

1 hour ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Oh that's right, we'll just have to suck it up. 

Not at all. Unlike most of the indigenous population, you're free to move if it doesn't suit you.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Not at all. Unlike most of the indigenous population, you're free to move if it doesn't suit you.

You must have missed the memo ... indigenous folks are now allowed to move, and millions do.  Even them older folks, as wife has 8 siblings, and only 3 remained in same province, and most of their offspring are now in the larger metros.

Our daughter left Udon Thani ASAP, and doesn't even live with us, and chose Krung Thep to live at.  We actually don't know many people that remained in the Amphur they were raised or went to school at.

Actually a problem for the farming villages, and many don't return back, for planting & harvesting season as the did years past.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:
50 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You must have missed the memo ... indigenous folks are now allowed to move, and millions do.  Even them older folks, as wife has 8 siblings, and only 3 remained in same province, and most of their offspring are now in the larger metros.

Our daughter left Udon Thani ASAP, and doesn't even live with us, and chose Krung Thep to live at.  We actually don't know many people that remained in the Amphur they were raised or went to school at.

Actually a problem for the farming villages, and many don't return back, for planting & harvesting season as the did years past.

Those that you're talking about are generally what one could term 'economic migrants'  and they will almost inevitably be swapping an area of low pollution for an area of high pollution, as indeed they do from our region in the north east. 

Very few people would get the opportunity to make the move in reverse, which is what I'm talking about. Us expats are not generally so constrained. In fact many could even leave the country altogether if they so wish.

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Wind. It's windy.

Likely the reason.

Some wind map says 9 to 10 kts from the south (gulf).

Just a proof that the bad air is "homemade" and not blown in.

Millions of jammed/clogged cars, Diesel preference via tax/fuel substitute.

Diesel exhaust levels forbidden in the west since decades.

What do you expect?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

For your information,  that's what I did. 

Moved from Chiang Mai and now reside in Korat.  It's a bit warmer and the smoke isn't as bad. 

But for those that can't move,  my point stands. 

2 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

For your information,  that's what I did. 

Moved from Chiang Mai and now reside in Korat.  It's a bit warmer and the smoke isn't as bad. 

But for those that can't move,  my point stands. 

And Korat is an improvement on Chiang Mai is it? Wow it must have been really bad up there!Screenshot(38).png.bb9b45aacbb5fdf0cd243764209d1432.png

Today in Pattaya was noticeably clearer than recent weeks. We had some rain a couple of days ago which must have cleaned the air up somewhat and possibly put out some fires.

Most mornings I wander down to Starbucks on beach road at the end of soi 6 and sit there for a coffee. I judge the air quality by how well I can see Koh Larn, if at all.

Edited by ozimoron

Could see 6 islands from my balcony in Jomtien this afternoon, including the top of Ko Phai, the island behind Ko Lan. Makes such a difference, but all except for Ko Lan will disappear as soon as the wind shifts back to the NE, and on really bad days no more Ko Lan either.