Customers Complain of Bank App Deducting Money Every Minute by 33.28 Baht

webfact

4 hours ago, retarius said:

This is shocking. It confirms my decision not to use mobile phone banking as it seems that every scam involves mobile banking. I have easy access to banks and am retired so I can afford to bank in person and not risk my funds being drained by a mobile app. My prediction is that 'the mobile app had a glitch' will become a much more commonly used excuse for missing funds. 

I agree with you. I wont use the banking apps. For a start they want you to agree to them having access to all your private data on your phone then the ATM machines transfer your data, which can be intercepted by 3rd parties unless very tight security measures are made which they almost certainly are not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

"The bank is aware of the matter and is not taking it lightly. We are urgently investigating all affected transactions. Any transactions not initiated by the cardholder and verified will be refunded within 5 business days.

Trusted Thai banks... call me old, stupid or old school.. if you wish

I don't have a single banking app on my phone or computer.

There shouldn't be Any Banking Apps for the Phones in the first place .

Normal Internet banking from ones Laptop /computer  is  a much Safer option withe the Single time use OTP. 

Anything New isn't Always better . If it Ain't Broke Don't Fix/change it

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Sounds like it may be a similar scam to where sometimes if you get a trial version of a software or app, they still ask for your debit card details?  What they don't tell you clearly though is that they sign you up for automatic renewal every month unless you cancel.  Got caught very similarly a couple of months ago by an online merchant website that I bought something from whereby they automatically signed me up for their discount club and starting debiting about £8/month from my account.  By the time that I had noticed it, they'd already taken 3 months but luckily I had the original invoice for my purchase which clearly stated that membership to their discount club was free and therefore everything was refunded immediately by my bank. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

For a start they want you to agree to them having access to all your private data on your phone t

So don't agree.

I stopped some of the SCB permissions which I did not think were required and the app still works.

37 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

then the ATM machines transfer your data,

Please explain how they do that and why? The app has internet or mobile data access to work so why would they go via the ATM?

A 32 baht transaction a minute for how many minutes/how many transactions? Probably used his debit card online and someone committed fraud with his details. Banks will make good in any event. My wife had someone (gamestream.com) use her debit card details to the tune of 6000 baht (multiple small transaction in one day) and krungthai paid her back within 5 business day. 

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am not so sure.

The fact that you have to use an app to stop it leads me to think otherwise!

There is no 'debit card management ' on my online banking software on my laptop.

The fact that the app allows it to happen.....?

What is the default on the app.

They recommend the app for changes as its "on line" for you and has a variety if features you can control. If you need help just contact the bank and they can walk you thru it or make the changes for you. One that should be enabled is transaction notifications. My krungsri acct\app sends me a notification on every transaction that occurs immediately. If something is suspicious I can shut it down quickly

People are still falling for the scams such as you have a package but need to pay 33 baht in postage to receive it.  Then they continue to take the 33 baht until your account is empty.  They choose a low amount because most people have it set not to receive a notification for transaction less than 100 baht.

It's not the bank app.  It's people giving their information to scammers.

Edited by rwill
  • Agree 1

33.28 is suspiciously close to the USDTHB rate, and it is a common practice for online retailers to perform a "test charge" to verify that your card can be used for purchases, typically a subscription. The test charge is then refunded. The charge is very often $1. So, I wonder if the perps are performing this $1 transaction because it would evade certain security filters.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I'm aware of a case at a very large bank about 30+ years back, the bank had some level of basic computerization.

After an investigation the bank discovered that an employee was skimming 25 satang off every account early morning and once a week or similar.

It had gone undetected for many months, but when investigated the employee was charged and did jail time. 25 satang not even noticed by 99.9% of customers but together quite sizeable total amount. 

... and nobody was suspicious when he turned up for work in a new Ferrari.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Let me guess; 33.28 baht per message?

At Kasikorn a full detailed messaging about every transaction cost 20 Baht/month extra.

Bangkok Bank sends a message if the debit card is used online (don't know whether there is a minimum amount). Yearly fee is 300 Baht for the account and card.

To me the headline is simply misleading/wrong conclusion.

Not the app does anything but debit cardholders data was leaked.

Can be a fraudulent online shop or simply a (foto)copy of the card incl. the three digit verification number, First things when I get a new card: store all data from the card locally on my PC incl. a photo of both sides. Then scratch off the three digit number.

Rarely use the physical card at all. Cash withdrawal cardless.

Never let stores save the debit card details (untick the option in case).

Always enter data from scratch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The bank has a real-time abnormal transaction detection system. Therefore, customers can trust the system and the bank's security measures.

Uhm. The system clearly didn't work as it didn't prevent the transactions. Isn't that obvious? Why should the customers trust the system when it obviously is not working? Perplexing statements.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

My krungsri acct\app sends me a notification on every transaction that occurs immediately. If something is suspicious I can shut it down quickly

So you think it is acceptable to have to shut it down quickly. crazy way to do things.

As this is a banking posting, can I add my experience of a visit to the tax office today.

Minor details but it may be of interest to some?

My intention was to inquire about the P.I.N. we are supposed to obtain, the result was...

Provide a copy of your PINK CARD

Copy of Passport

Copy of Yellow Book

Bank statements for 12 months 2023

A form was given, all in Thai. Don't ask.

Return on or before 9th April and hand in these details.

The lord only knows what is to follow, but my understanding was the Tax would only be required

for 2024, payable early 2025.

PDFs of the form attached

TAX 1.pdf TAX 2.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

So you think it is acceptable to have to shut it down quickly. crazy way to do things.

Absolutely if I see suspicious transactions that I didn't conduct i would take action immediately to shut off access to my account. 

I guess by the way you commented you would let the unauthorized deductions from your account continue? Whos more crazy, me for protecting my assets or you for not?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I will not have any Bank Apps on my phone, only ATM or Cash payments for me thanks. 

It has nothing to do with a phone app causing the problem. The issue is 3rd party  transactions against your acct. It can be via a "atm" transaction, debit or credit card even if you dont have a phone app or an on-line bank portal on a laptop. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Dan O said:

It has nothing to do with a phone app causing the problem. The issue is 3rd party  transactions against your acct. It can be via a "atm" transaction, debit or credit card even if you dont have a phone app or an on-line bank portal on a laptop. 

First man with the correct info..others shld thank you.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

I'm aware of a case at a very large bank about 30+ years back, the bank had some level of basic computerization.

After an investigation the bank discovered that an employee was skimming 25 satang off every account early morning and once a week or similar.

It had gone undetected for many months, but when investigated the employee was charged and did jail time. 25 satang not even noticed by 99.9% of customers but together quite sizeable total amount. 

Reference 1999 Move "Office Space"

11 hours ago, Dan O said:

Once the money is out it disappears as banking regs in Asia are lacking for safety and security bank to bank.

Really?...

"We are urgently investigating all affected transactions. Any transactions not initiated by the cardholder and verified will be refunded within 5 business days".

• Confused 1