THAI to acquire 45 Boeing 787 Dreamliners with option for 80 more

webfact

image.jpeg

Thai Airways International has entered into a deal to acquire a fleet of 45 Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft, plus an option on another 80, with the deal also offering the carrier a route to the new 777X.

The aircraft will be powered by GE Aerospace GEnx engines and delivery is to be spread over 10 years, starting in 2027.

The deal was announced today by THAI CEO Chai Eamsiri on the opening day of the Singapore Air Show. The order also gives THAI the ability to switch its commitment to the in-development 777X, said Chai.

The seamless interchangeability between these Dreamliner models and the 777X offers THAI strategic advantages in optimising routes, capacity and operational efficiency, claimed Chai.

Top Photo : Boeing

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-02-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Airways International has entered into a deal to acquire a fleet of 45 Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft, plus an option on another 80, with the deal also offering the carrier a route to the new 777X.

Money to burn, rags to riches in an amazing turn-around of fortune.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Would have been far cheaper to buy Boeing out right all ready with such large order and probably more to come

now that Thai Airways has gone into money printing business too...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The show goes on and given the present state of Boeing I would assume, that the envelopes were nicely stuffed this time again. After the last disaster with Rolls Royce there has been a change there as well to ensure plenty of loose change for the time to come ....
Bankrupt taken to new heights, not too long ago TG declared some 300+ billion (not million but billion) losses, swallowed up its loss-making daughter WE with a carry-forward loss of 20 billion as TG, according to their own statement, clogged 10 billion profit. 
Whichever way you turn it, even in Thailand or with a Jewish typewriter of Indochinese decent you cannot seriously believe, that such an enterprise would get even a pencil supplied without full prepayment ......

But quite obviously I am seeing things wrong again as it works totally against what I thought is logical 😞 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Money to burn, rags to riches in an amazing turn-around of fortune.

Thai optimism at its best. My b/f burns his way thru my money at a similar pace.

• Haha 1

Boeing, probably the most badly built aircraft in the world. Supported by a corrupt executive management that tries to deny all responsibility for any incident. Ie pilot error, passenger error, groundcrew error anything but Boeing incompetence.

People die quite frequently due to Boeing's lack of quality control yet stupid airlines still buy their product. I can only assume that the management of Thai Airways have received some hefty bribes.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, LisuLover said:

Funded by American banks.

While I haven't seen any details on financing - this announcement was just a splash PR move at the Singapore Air SHow announcing a booking concluded last December - most of these aircraft are bought by leasing companies, and then leased to TG.

I think you'll find these lasing companies are international.

https://history-computer.com/the-10-largest-aircraft-leasing-companies-in-the-world-and-what-they-do/

12 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

The Boeing 737Max scandal is only the tip of the iceberg ,, Boeing has many more  issues  they are hiding , Problems with Dream Liners quality ,, more cover ups on Legacy 737s  ,  

The industry insiders know ...

This is nine years old but considering what has happened since (737 Max crashes, safety cover ups etc) it is very relevant and also quite shocking.  Undercover reporting from inside the factory, Boeing staff saying they would never fly on one! Whistleblowers saying safety concerns were ignored. Worth a watch.

(Yeah yeah, Al Jazeera blah blah before the Boeing fanboys jump in).

Edited by josephbloggs

4 hours ago, RobU said:

Boeing, probably the most badly built aircraft in the world. Supported by a corrupt executive management that tries to deny all responsibility for any incident. Ie pilot error, passenger error, groundcrew error anything but Boeing incompetence.

People die quite frequently due to Boeing's lack of quality control yet stupid airlines still buy their product. I can only assume that the management of Thai Airways have received some hefty bribes.

I assume you book flight tickets by non-Boeing aircraft.........?  :cowboy:

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't know about him but I absolutely do. I will never ever set foot on a 737 (Max or otherwise), and I avoid 787s as best I can although I have had no choice on a couple of routes. Short flights I will only go Airbus (A319, 320, 321). Long haul preference is A380 or A350.

The only Boeing I am truly comfortable with is a 777 - it's a good plane.

So yes, it is a crucial factor for me at least and I am sure I am not alone.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

I don't know about him but I absolutely do. I will never ever set foot on a 737 (Max or otherwise), and I avoid 787s as best I can although I have had no choice on a couple of routes. Short flights I will only go Airbus (A319, 320, 321). Long haul preference is A380 or A350.

The only Boeing I am truly comfortable with is a 777 - it's a good plane.

So yes, it is a crucial factor for me at least and I am sure I am not alone.

I didn't think Boeing planes were constantly dropping out of the sky, we all know about the Max, but others..............🤔

9 minutes ago, transam said:

I didn't think Boeing planes were constantly dropping out of the sky, we all know about the Max, but others..............🤔

So far the Max has dropped out of the sky twice, but it is the general culture of the company that is suspect as it is run by bean counters not engineers, and safety concerns are generally ignored or swept under the carpet. I don't trust the company. Two 787s did catch fire but luckily they were on the ground. Watch the documentary I posted and let me know what you think.

I believe the 777 was the last "properly" built Boeing plane. I hope I am wrong but I think eventually we will see a 787 fall out of the sky. If the company is proven to have a history or lying, of cutting corners on safety to increase profits, then why would you trust their products? If saying "well 787s aren't falling out the sky constantly" is all that you need to reassure yourself then good for you.

Boeing was always allowed to certify their own aircraft as safe rather than it being done by the FAA. That didn't end well.  They took the opportunity of self certification to cut corners and compromise safety and that culture permeates the entire company.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, transam said:

Yup, essentially the board of Boeing are a bunch of murderers who have got away with it

Edited by RobU
  • Haha 1

Im happy to fly in 777 and 757 ,, not keen on any 737 knowing what i know  about all the issues and cover ups from 1971 to date ,, 787 hmm , may well be flawed but  I just find it very unpleasant to be in and fly on .