Famous?

pokoal2000

As a boy scout I once sang on stage, with a few other scouts, with Charlie Chester. Chatted to and got Barry Sheene's (RIP) autograph at a motor cycle show. Watched that amazing race when John (moon eyes) Cooper on his privateer BSA rocket 3 beat Ago on his works MV at Brands Hatch. Did John ride the wheels off that Rocket or what! And finally, as an infant school kid I sat by the side of the road waving my little Union Jack flag as the Queen went by to stay at Belstead Brook house in Ipswich!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was in the middle of a university scandal in los angeles once and interviewe by a number of papers and the times. all the students expected me to stand up and be the saviour when they didnt listen to me the semester before.

made money as sub contractor for a few people then working for rough guide and lonely planet.

i met a famous tv behind the scenes guy in a bkk bar. he will remain nameless. he told me a story about a whore stealing his rolex and he having to tell his wife and claim it on his insurance. pretty funny. he was really surprised we had not heard of him - i just no tv addict, but he was a major dude in 60s sitcom production. met johnny carson, glenn campbell and spent a week at a dude ranch when i was a kid with ___ kennedy's family. i forget his first name.

my father met a bunch of stars in the 70s when we lived in l.a. he used to go golfing at a number of posh clubs and many stars would like to come to his club becasue the course was so nice - i was always the rebel and disdained country clubs.

i have a family member who is a really powerful lawyer and she has dozens of super important clients (real movers and shakers) and can practice before the us supreme court.

also have some other family members who locally are huge players in __________ city. mentioning their names opens doors sure.

me - im broke, but happy and freeee :-)

Edited by theseveredhead

My favorite musician, Tom Waits, share my birthday,

Although he was born in the year my mother was born.

Most north americans will observe a day of mourning on my birthday, though I think it has little to do with me, and more to do with:

# 1917 - World War I: The US declares war on Austria-Hungary.

# 1941 - World War II: Canada declares war on Finland, Hungary, Romania, and Japan.

# 1941 - World War II: Attack On Pearl Harbor - The Imperial Japanese Navy attacks the US Pacific Fleet and its defending Army Air Forces and Marine air forces at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

It's hard NOT to meet famous Thais. They all live in BKK and hang around Central Chidlom, Song Saleung and Met. No great shakes there.

I went to the same Somerset school as a top member of Thai Royalty, which has an alumni society in Thailand. School was still rubbish though.

Went clubbing several times with Jensen Button and his then fiance, who was a friend of mine. Went to his £100K OK-sponsored 21st in Westminster and puked on the ice sculpture.

My father is the current British over-50 cycling time-trial champion. I get knackered just going down the lane.

My wife was Miss Thailand 2000 candidate. Now she stays at home looking beautiful. I let her out now and again.

Anybody famous here? What is your claim to fame? Movie star? Well know relatives?

My only claim is that my uncle Joseph Frantisek was the highest scoring pilot in Battle of Britain. What about you?

I have written a book published by Asia Books

"Learning Thai: Just enough to get by and more"

I know someone that owns the best pub in Thailand.

No, seriously, John Banks of the Merseybeats, was the bar tender in Tony's bar in Tel-Aviv, in the early seventies. Great mate of mine. We even had him playing darts for us.

We have our string of fairly famous people in the Farang Connection though. Richard Bestic from Sky News, interviewed me after the death of one of our customers in Iraq. One of the more famous is a Thai Visa member from Oz. We have seven or eight well known authors use us as well.

I know someone that owns the best pub in Thailand.

No, seriously, John Banks of the Merseybeats, was the bar tender in Tony's bar in Tel-Aviv, in the early seventies. Great mate of mine. We even had him playing darts for us.

We have our string of fairly famous people in the Farang Connection though. Richard Bestic from Sky News, interviewed me after the death of one of our customers in Iraq. One of the more famous is a Thai Visa member from Oz. We have seven or eight well known authors use us as well.

That was supposed to be kept low key shady, but thanks anyway

oh...and Janis Joplin autographed the sleeve of my jacket...and held my arm as she wrote...she smelled real nice...

Janis Joplin smelled nice?? I love her, she's absolutely legendary, but as far as I know she always smelled like Southern Comfort. Maybe you're a whiskey brewmaster? :o

Edited by chinthee

I work with Paul (Bam Bam) Koteka the former New Zealand All Blacks champ and former West Aussie Rugby Union captain.

And my family are close friends of the Shannons (Del and Shirley), Del now sadly passed away. I used to go back stage when he toured Aus in the early 80's.

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody famous here? What is your claim to fame? Movie star? Well know relatives?

My only claim is that my uncle Joseph Frantisek was the highest scoring pilot in Battle of Britain. What about you?

I have written a book published by Asia Books

"Learning Thai: Just enough to get by and more"

I wrote a book, "Humility, and How I Obtained It."

Soon, a sequel: "Seven Great Men Who Knew Me for My Humility"

My Uncle was world grasstrack motorcycle champion in the late fifties and early sixties (Bill Evans) he was also a pilot of Lancaster bombers in the second world war. My Dad had his photo taken with Queen Mary before the war , me?? once had a pic taken in the local paper with a goat!!!!!!!!

My Uncle was world grasstrack motorcycle champion in the late fifties and early sixties (Bill Evans) he was also a pilot of Lancaster bombers in the second world war. My Dad had his photo taken with Queen Mary before the war , me?? once had a pic taken in the local paper with a goat!!!!!!!!

Was that your mom in that local paper pic then?

Of course.

As a child I lunched daily with a direct descendant (named Butler) of infamous civil war general "Beast" "Spoons" Butler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Fran...er_(politician)

He was nicknamed "Beast Butler," and "Spoons," for his alleged habit of pilfering the silverware of Southern homes in which he stayed.
Edited by Jingthing

One TV member who hangs out in the CM section of the forum was/is a hollywood stuntman / actor / X country motorbike/truck racer / director of photography in L.A!

I can say no more!

Like others have said though, the famous keep a low-profile...

We must speak for them :o

There's definitely some famous or at least well-known fellows living here in Bangkok. The young chap that a female member of the Royals dined with alone must be something special, and also the American landowner who married the daughter of Grammy's boss.

Windsor Davies of It Ain't Half Hot Mum spent 5 days in my pub in south London making an advert for a welsh beer. He spent a lot of time asleep in our bedroom as the film company wanted him to have froth on his moustache after he took a gulp, so to many takes got him pissed. He was a great bloke and posed for a photo with my two of my youngest kids and myself. photo included. Hope you like the hair-style :D

I also stayed 4 days with Alex Higgins in Sheffield when he won his 2nd Snooker world championship in 1982. What a weekend that was, drugs, booze and ladies etc. Met all the then top players and will never forget the party's. :o

post-35058-1187475940_thumb.jpg

Edited by rtaxron

once made the headlines of the "Saturday Advertiser" for rescuing a child who was being attacked by a viscious stingray

Although I didn't make the (Thai) headlines I'm happy to have saved 2 lives on Chaweng beach/Samui, back in '91; they almost drowned. The first was my ex-gf, the second a Thai boy in a white T-shirt (strange, I'll never forget that detail), both were swimming too far out.

Than... :D ...I almost drowned myself and was rescued by a brave Thai guy who took the initiative to form a chain of people...but couldn't reach me. The undercurrent was so strong and I was completely out of breath and strength; but they made it and saved me. Thank God & Buddha.

My rescuer was a young Thai from Bangkok, just married, on his honeymoontrip... :o

He was a true Hero ! Famous or not.....he also absolutely refused ANY form of reward, offered by myself.

Bless him :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

once made the headlines of the "Saturday Advertiser" for rescuing a child who was being attacked by a viscious stingray

Although I didn't make the (Thai) headlines I'm happy to have saved 2 lives on Chaweng beach/Samui, back in '91; they almost drowned. The first was my ex-gf, the second a Thai boy in a white T-shirt (strange, I'll never forget that detail), both were swimming too far out.

Than... :D ...I almost drowned myself and was rescued by a brave Thai guy who took the initiative to form a chain of people...but couldn't reach me. The undercurrent was so strong and I was completely out of breath and strength; but they made it and saved me. Thank God & Buddha.

My rescuer was a young Thai from Bangkok, just married, on his honeymoontrip... :o

He was a true Hero ! Famous or not.....he also absolutely refused ANY form of reward, offered by myself.

Bless him :D

LaoPo

Sounds like there were a FEW true Heroes that day! :D

I'm proud to say Khun Bunyart Buntuttarn, Khun Prachuab Chaiyasarn and Khun Suthut Ngernmeurn were my classmate from TU, still in -touch and seeing them everytime when I come to BK. :o

This friendship has last over four long decades. :D

Coincidence,Bunyart's son lived in my house when he was studying in England.

I also met Little and Large when they stayed in a hotel I worked in as a kid and met Big Daddy the wrestler who invited me to punch him in the guts.

Edited by TexasRanger