Royal Thai Army Launches Free Cataract Surgery Campaign

snoop1130

2d8302df0a00378e708a47a16192e71e.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Royal Thai Army Medicine Department has initiated a campaign to offer free cataract surgeries and lens implantation services to people who do not have direct medical payment rights or social security. 

This service is available through 37 army hospitals nationwide. The campaign coincides with the 6th cycle of the 72nd birthday anniversary of His Majesty King Rama X, according to the deputy spokesperson of the Royal Thai Army.

Interested individuals can inquire at the public relations department or the ophthalmology outpatient department (OPD Eye) of military hospitals in their area, including Phramongkutklao Hospital in Bangkok, Fort Surasi Hospital in Kanchanaburi, and Fort Chiraprawat Hospital in Nakhon Sawan, among others. 

Patients are only required to bring their national ID cards for eligibility verification and to undergo an eye and vision assessment.

The screening process is available from now until May, with continuous surgical treatment by a team of military ophthalmologists until the end of June. 

The deputy army spokesperson reiterated that this project is part of the year-long auspicious activities organized by the Royal Thai Army to honor His Majesty the King, aiming to perpetuate His Majesty's royal initiative on volunteer projects, enhance public health, and improve quality of life.

By Krajangwit Johjit

Full story: NNT 2024-02-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Patients are only required to bring their national ID cards for eligibility verification and to undergo an eye and vision assessment.

seems kind of useless to post here where no one can take advantage of it.

only use is if i know a thai who needs it then i can tell him/her

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I'll let my local Win-taxi rider know, he's 75 still working, totally blind in one eye with a cataract, and half blind in the other.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

My FIL (3 yrs older than me) is blind in 1 eye and nearly blind in the other. He refuses to do anything about it because of a bad experience at a big hospital in Khon Kaen where I sent him several years ago (I suspect that, after lining up for hours from 0500, he was treated as a stupid ignorant ol' man who barely speaks Thai ... ). I'll now try again with the nearest military hospital here in Surin ...

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

My FIL (3 yrs older than me) is blind in 1 eye and nearly blind in the other. He refuses to do anything about it because of a bad experience at a big hospital in Khon Kaen where I sent him several years ago (I suspect that, after lining up for hours from 0500, he was treated as a stupid ignorant ol' man who barely speaks Thai ... ). I'll now try again with the nearest military hospital here in Surin ...

Yeah... the consequences of failure to provide for his own well being... whether it be savings... investments... health insurance... he can't stand feeling like the stupid ignorant old man that he created. 

2 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

So he is Thai but barely speaks Thai... he is entitled to the gov't medical care as bad as it is... his choice.

He is Thai Khmer ie he speaks Khmer in the home & throughout the village but has some poor Thai when necessary. This is normal throughout the southern 1/4 of Isaan. The 6 children of his current marriage (including my b/f) speak peasant Thai for preference but also Khmer when only they & their parents are around. The grandchildren speak only Thai (as drummed in to them endlessly at school) but understand Khmer to varying degrees.

As to what ignorant peasants are entitled to and what they actually get, those are 2 rather separate items, as anyone who had the slightest concern for human rights and the egalitarianism of a modern democratic society would well understand.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Thank you for those kind and charitable thoughts.

For your information my FIL is an old peasant, 100% illiterate, never been to school, he has no knowledge of the world outside his village (He was astonished to learn, when I arrived on the scene 11 years ago, that there are people in this world who don't eat rice with every meal), he has no visible income except what my b/f passes to him, he is a kind old man who knows nothing about insurance, savings, or investments.

Satisfied?

Excellent reply 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, transam said:

I had both mine done at an army hospital, not free, but a cheap service....😋

How much was it? Did you have to stay in the hospital overnight, or is it possible to get it done on an outpatient basis?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

How much was it? Did you have to stay in the hospital overnight, or is it possible to get it done on an outpatient basis?

Sadly, you have to stay the night for 2 hourly blood pressure checks.....🙄......😂

(Why do they do that.)

The cost for both with a month interval was 36,000bht..

• Thumbs Up 1