How Many Foreigners Living in Thailand

Mike Lister

This is based on 2019 pre covid.  It is possible  with the influx of more foreigners from different countries, the number now is far above the 300000.

Or maybe you are only considering those who are western.   But nonetheless, the extra influx of people still contribute to the country and its GDP.   Which is what Mike Lister mentioned in one of his posts, regarding GDP.

But even so, even back in 2019, I would have thought the number to be higher.

Quite surprising.

Edited by Raindancer
Amendment
  • Like 2

Thanks for the report. It explains a lot.

So the government won't go bankrupt if we all up sticks and leave? I always find it difficult to estimate the size of crowds.....72,000 retirees is near the capacity at Old Trafford. I just wonder how it is they they all turn up at immigration to tend they stay on the same day as me. 🙂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I know a top attorney in Bangkok who said that the number of expats leaving right around 2019 and into the first year of covid was enormous, well into the tens of thousands. No way to know how many new ones have come, I guess. 

Lots of Russians are here meanwhile.

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Thanks for the report. It explains a lot.

So the government won't go bankrupt if we all up sticks and leave? I always find it difficult to estimate the size of crowds.....72,000 retirees is near the capacity at Old Trafford. I just wonder how it is they they all turn up at immigration to tend they stay on the same day as me. 🙂

However, over 4 billion THB monthly revenue in the LOS is not to be thrown away.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BE88 said:

However, over 4 billion THB monthly revenue in the LOS is not to be thrown away.

It's all a matter of perspective:

Thailand is an export led economy, over 60% of GDP is derived from the export of goods and services and totals over USD 320 bill per year. The 300,000 or so Westerners living in Thailand account for less than USD 10 bill per year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

That seems about right to me, a combination of married plus retired and working expats, I thought the split would be around 50/50.

Included in these numbers is foreigners with Permanent Residence. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Raindancer said:

This is based on 2019 pre covid.  It is possible  with the influx of more foreigners from different countries, the number now is far above the 300000.

or with the out flow of others it is below 300,000. 

• Agree 1