Rats in Silom

JoeyMac

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't think that our forum names are any indication of our roots.

you are probably right , its just that I have personally known several "joey macs" over the years  and they all came from the same city,  two of them from the same street 

TBH, all the (different types of) rats in Bangkok have been here longer than any of us. And nothing is going to be done about them. I don't like them either, but the city has much bigger environmental urban problems to try to deal with like traffic, air pollution, flooding, clogged canals, sea level rising, and lack of green space. So it seems futile to try to figure out solutions (which will never be implemented) to get rid of them. The only solution is to get used to them because most likely they aren't going anywhere. 

Mass poisoning of rats in Bangkok would be a no go due to potential collateral targeting of other animals and people by rodenticides - either the anticoagulant varieties or cholecalciferol poisons - which cause acute renal failure when ingested.

Myxomatosis is a viral disease that only affects European rabbit species.

Bubonic plague is a bacterial disease , that was spread by fleas, often carried by rats.  The great plague epidemics in the past occurred at a time when there were no antibiotics. We now have many antibiotics that could treat the Yersinia infection. I think there is no fear of another major Bubonic plague outbreak! 

There are two immediate things that could be done :

1) Put bars on the drains. If you walk along Sukhumvit now, there is universal bars on every drain. The rats use these drains to sneak up and down, and live down there on mass. In Silom barely any drain has bars on them, and the ones that did, have been chewed up many years ago by the rats. 

2) Rubbish collection. There needs to be a better system than just chucking rubbish on the streets in black bags. 

3) A better breed of cats set lose. Cats are rats natural predators, but the breed of rats around Silom are bigger than the cats. We need some well trained hardcore cats. 

You must be really silly to say let the rat population grow and nothing can be done. 

7 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

There are two immediate things that could be done :

1) Put bars on the drains. If you walk along Sukhumvit now, there is universal bars on every drain. The rats use these drains to sneak up and down, and live down there on mass. In Silom barely any drain has bars on them, and the ones that did, have been chewed up many years ago by the rats. 

2) Rubbish collection. There needs to be a better system than just chucking rubbish on the streets in black bags. 

3) A better breed of cats set lose. Cats are rats natural predators, but the breed of rats around Silom are bigger than the cats. We need some well trained hardcore cats. 

You must be really silly to say let the rat population grow and nothing can be done. 

Disposal of food waste is the main problem in Thailand.

There needs to be a system to collect food waste only.

Less food for the rats can only be a positive.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes ,  but that doesn't make it right   ....  it's not natural that they are here in their millions because man created that problem by giving them a nice cosy environment,  they need to be eliminated with poison or gas or whatever .....   but there must be  10,000,000 in Bangkok alone. 

and if they didn't stop the fox hunts in the UK they wouldn't have a problem,  and I'm sure there's not 1,000,000 bears making problem in Canada and Russia,  and Tigers are encroaching into villages because their habitat is getting smaller and smaller. 

Jeez, what a silly post.

To suggest that a bunch of entitled inbreds on horseback surrounded by a pack of hounds running a solitary fox to ground or to rip it apart will solve the UK fox problem is nonsensical.

The problem exists in towns and cities (not the countryside) because of the habits of humans in that they leave the remains of kebabs, chicken and MuckDonalds all over the place.

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes ,  but that doesn't make it right   ....  it's not natural that they are here in their millions because man created that problem by giving them a nice cosy environment,  they need to be eliminated with poison or gas or whatever .....   but there must be  10,000,000 in Bangkok alone. 

and if they didn't stop the fox hunts in the UK they wouldn't have a problem,  and I'm sure there's not 1,000,000 bears making problem in Canada and Russia,  and Tigers are encroaching into villages because their habitat is getting smaller and smaller. 

I bet the number is significantly higher than 10 million. 

Just look at the estimated number of rats per person on this recently updated list - https://privateexterminator.com/25-most-rat-infested-cities/  

• Thumbs Up 1

And then there is Isaan where, in the more primitive parts (my family & village), cane rat (a different species I think from the sewer rats of the city) is a delicacy. I always remember a large lumbering BIL some years ago late afternoon as outside dinner was preparing suddenly taking off at speed across the farm accompanied by the dogs. Returned a minute or so later with a dead rat which was promptly thrown on the grill ...

And I too was made to have a bite here at home some years later. I felt I had to taste it as they enjoyed it so much. For the peasants just another source of protein. Tasted like pork.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know how you can report a specific area for a massive rat problem ? 

Some idiot comes and rips all the black bags up around 11pm (i assume recycling). The bars on the sewers are missing. As you walk down this part of Silom Road (down the bottom end, not the Patpong area) you get around 8-10 rats, the size of cats, just jumping around on the black bags and on the pavement with impunity. Anyone post 11pm have to walk on the road, which in itself lends dangers - to get around this area of black bags. 

It's horrific.