Forum upgrade in progress! ×

UK passport renewal proof of address

Good afternoon

Can I use a TM30 as proof of address?

My Thai driving licence expired but it has my address on it also.

Also, can I get the renewed passport couriered back to my home?

I am delivering myself but would prefer not to have to come back again.

Many thanks

I went into my bank BKK and asked for a letter/statement with my address in English.

It was accepted by VFS as proof of address a bout 6 months back.

PS'  Just realised you asked the "consular team"!

Sorry.

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

Haven't you got any correspondence from a UK gov source, tax etc...?

They do not send it out by post, well they didn't. You can use an agent to do everything for you, they will send it back to you by post. It is what I do..

Theoretically you should have no issues with either a TM30 document (receipt) or your expired DL, unless you have an overzealous counter staff member at VFS.

I don't think they can post it back to you, but you can assign someone to collect it for you (anyone with your receipt).

If you are outside of Bangkok anyway using an agent may be a consideration to cut down on hassle (if not too costly).

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Theoretically you should have no issues with either a TM30 document (receipt) or your expired DL, unless you have an overzealous counter staff member at VFS.

I don't think they can post it back to you, but you can assign someone to collect it for you (anyone with your receipt).

If you are outside of Bangkok anyway using an agent may be a consideration to cut down on hassle (if not too costly).

Many thanks.

I have both with me so I'll try the TM30.

I'll see if an agent will pick it up if I drop them a fee. I'm only a few hours away but work during the week. Do they allow you to pick it up on Saturdays?

Just now, Barnet1900 said:

Many thanks.

I have both with me so I'll try the TM30.

I'll see if an agent will pick it up if I drop them a fee. I'm only a few hours away but work during the week. Do they allow you to pick it up on Saturdays?

No... VFS is closed on Saturdays.

You (third-party representative) can pick up a new passport on Monday's to Friday's (except on public holidays) from 14:00-15:00 hrs (within 30 days of its arrival at VFS).

If a third-party representative will be collecting the passport on your behalf, they will be required to bring the following with them when collecting: 

·     The document receipt checklist

·     The previous passport for cancellation

·     A copy of the ID/passport of the person who was authorised

·     A signed letter giving the third-party authorisation from you stating their name and that you are content for them to collect the passport on your behalf. 

So if you are busy at work, you can send staff to collect the Passport etc.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No... VFS is closed on Saturdays.

You (third-party representative) can pick up a new passport on Monday's to Friday's (except on public holidays) from 14:00-15:00 hrs (within 30 days of its arrival at VFS).

If a third-party representative will be collecting the passport on your behalf, they will be required to bring the following with them when collecting: 

·     The document receipt checklist

·     The previous passport for cancellation

·     A copy of the ID/passport of the person who was authorised

·     A signed letter giving the third-party authorisation from you stating their name and that you are content for them to collect the passport on your behalf. 

So if you are busy at work, you can send staff to collect the Passport etc.

Thank you for that.

Much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, transam said:
8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Last time I used an agent, my pink ID was accepted as proof of address.

I thought it had to be all in English for the UK end....?  🤔

Note: my experience differs - based on going to the VFS myself, not using an agent. 

(based on personal experience at Submission for renewal) - I have tried with my Pink ID before (at VFS) which was rejected because the address needs to be in English, my Thai DL (which as the address in English) was accepted.

The only issue the Op 'could' face, is if the staff note the expiry date of the Thai DL and become difficult.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Note: my experience differs - based on going to the VFS myself, not using an agent. 

(based on personal experience at Submission for renewal) - I have tried with my Pink ID before (at VFS) which was rejected because the address needs to be in English, my Thai DL (which as the address in English) was accepted.

The only issue the Op 'could' face, is if the staff note the expiry date of the Thai DL and become difficult.

That's what I thought. I think I used the Gov life certificate letter, which had my address in English.

The good thing about an agent is that they go through all the paperwork, so there is no problem when they deal with VFS, if there is a problem they get in touch before they go. Be a real pain if one went there, and they didn't like something and sent away...😱

Just checked the TM30

It is all translated into English but there's no mention of the full address, only that they verified I live there.

Probably backing a losing horse here.

I might just try the agent if it fails.

1 hour ago, transam said:

That's what I thought. I think I used the Gov life certificate letter, which had my address in English.

The good thing about an agent is that they go through all the paperwork, so there is no problem when they deal with VFS, if there is a problem they get in touch before they go. Be a real pain if one went there, and they didn't like something and sent away...😱

VFS can be a little difficult...   they want everything perfect ( I guess thats their job )... 

Wife recently applied for Schengen and was told her Travel Insurance was not the right one... (it was a better policy that they suggest online because we were also doing winter sports)...    They didn't want to submit the application, but wife pushed it, the Visa was approved very quickly. 

In this case (of application for visa renewal) I'm not even sure that the requirement for an address in Thailand (in English Language) is for.... 

Anyone ???  why the need to show a proof of address to VFS ? and why in English ?

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

VFS can be a little difficult...   they want everything perfect ( I guess thats their job )... 

Wife recently applied for Schengen and was told her Travel Insurance was not the right one... (it was a better policy that they suggest online because we were also doing winter sports)...    They didn't want to submit the application, but wife pushed it, the Visa was approved very quickly. 

In this case (of application for visa renewal) I'm not even sure that the requirement for an address in Thailand (in English Language) is for.... 

Anyone ???  why the need to show a proof of address to VFS ? and why in English ?

Every time I go anywhere near immigration, the airport, Trendy I get nervous knowing that they can anything they desire and there's nothing I can do about it.

Sometimes it's purely luck of the draw as to who you get and what mood they're in.

I'm amazed nothing more us done about it at a higher level.

I'm certain if people's home governments stepped in and said, we'll issue warnings against travelling and living in Thailand unless you treat people consistently and fairly, they'd up their game.

In this instance it's completely my fault for not preparing better. I always go with an agent to avoid the aforementioned grief.

2 hours ago, transam said:

I thought it had to be all in English for the UK end....?  🤔

I used my Thai driving license, but I had to get translated, one of the firms doing the translation service, did it for me 500 baht, that was excepted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I used my Thai driving license, but I had to get translated, one of the firms doing the translation service, did it for me 500 baht, that was excepted. 

It's not unusual for there to be a lack of consistency in Thailand and your Thai Driving Licence could be different...  However, my Thai DL has my address on the rear face in both English and Thai - does yours not ?

14 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

I'm certain if people's home governments stepped in and said, we'll issue warnings against travelling and living in Thailand unless you treat people consistently and fairly, they'd up their game.

Its our 'home government' that created situations like this in the first place by outsourcing our Passport Renewals and Visa Applications to the to the VFS in the first place....  

I can understand why...  Consulate staff didn't want to deal with riff-raff giving them ear-ache because the 'cashier' they'd met was being 'interviewed' for her Visa application.... 

.... Over the years I've been here, the consular department has reduced and reduced to a near nothing degree the amount of face-to-face it has with the general British Overseas Public....   

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's not unusual for there to be a lack of consistency in Thailand and your Thai Driving Licence could be different...  However, my Thai DL has my address on the rear face in both English and Thai - does yours not ?

Mine doesn't no.

Maybe because it's the older version.

Thai on the front, nothing on the back.

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

VHS just checks your stuff for submission to the UK, the UK passport office do the passport work.

Maybe the same reason you cannot pay for the passport at VHS, the fee is taken in the UK.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

Every time I go anywhere near immigration, the airport, Trendy I get nervous knowing that they can anything they desire and there's nothing I can do about it.

Sometimes it's purely luck of the draw as to who you get and what mood they're in.

In this instance it's completely my fault for not preparing better. I always go with an agent to avoid the aforementioned grief.

Well, TM30 translated got the job done. Expired DL was rejected out of hand.

I must say, the entire process, staff, the whole lot was very professional.

In and out in 30 minutes.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:41 PM, transam said:

I think I used the Gov life certificate letter, which had my address in English.

So one shining example of totally pointless HMG bureaucracy came in extremely useful for another! 🤣

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2024 at 8:06 PM, Barnet1900 said:

As far as UK passports are concerned, it is His Majesty's Passport Office back in the UK who are solely responsible for the bloody bureaucratic shambles we Brits are faced with at passport renewal time. VFS locally are merely acting as their agents.

Took the wife Thursday for her UK passport, they only wanted her driving license for ID and was told 2 to 4 weeks wait. Then told us they are leaving Trendy Buildings on the 18th March and gave us this paper for directions.

Passport collection .jpg

They will not post back the passport under any circumstance she was told, then only a 1 hour window to collect. I think I should have paid for an agent. 2 trips to Bangkok is expensive.

10 hours ago, Steve&mem said:

They will not post back the passport under any circumstance she was told, then only a 1 hour window to collect. I think I should have paid for an agent. 2 trips to Bangkok is expensive.

That's what I thought also. My error was thinking they would post it. They did with my wife's when she got her visa each time. 

You can pay an agent to collect it for you.

I was quoted 2500 by one which will be the last time I do business with him, yet 1500 by another. Possibly get for less if you shop around.

I'll do that. 12k for an agent to do the whole thing. I paid 6k for the passport, 1500 to pick it up and 1500 for my night and day in BKK dropping it off.

Still save 3k so all good.