Power Bank Explosion Causes Panic on AirAsia Flight

webfact

1 hour ago, mfinasi said:

Just ban them. I can't take on more than 100ml of water, but I can bring on a big heavy volatile powerbank without issue? makes sense... 

You can take as much water as you like on a plane. You just can't take it from outside security screening.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry, but how would you think that would work?

Only phones or all Li-ion device?

One fireproof container for each type of device? (phones, tablet, power banks, laptop, e-cigarettes, vape devices, bluetooth headphones, smart watches, some hearing aids, gaming devices, e readers, digital cameras).

How would someone prove ownership of each device? Name labels? Sticker with number and receipt?

Where would the devices be handed in? Check in? Security? Entering Gate? Boarding? Entering aircraft?

What about linked entertainment system and on board internet?

Where would everyone collect devices after landing? Imagine the time and hassle of departing passenger trying to get their devices.

Who would be responsible for lost, stolen or damaged devices?

You really think paying customers would really be happy to accept this? You complained earlier about the ‘silly’ liquid ban

Not trying to be negative, but realistic.

I think your complicating the process .... I'm just saying it could be done upon boarding, only mobiles and power banks.....   this would certainly reduce the number not contained ... eg; laptops etc ..

... and a simple coded tag is given to the owner of every phone.  They all go into a fireproof compartment or container,  then give back upon landing ... maybe at the exit door.   Just saying ... 

19 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I think your complicating the process .... I'm just saying it could be done upon boarding, only mobiles and power banks.....   this would certainly reduce the number not contained ... eg; laptops etc ..

... and a simple coded tag is given to the owner of every phone.  They all go into a fireproof compartment or container,  then give back upon landing ... maybe at the exit door.   Just saying ... 

Sorry but I am not complicating the process.

I did a quick and basic, 5 minutes analysis of what you proposed and asked a few of the questions that, airlines, airports, regulators and passengers would be asking. My list of questions were far from comprehensive.

I believe your solution is impractical and would be impossible to implement in the modern aviation industry.

Before you ask, no I am not going to offer another solution, because the experts at ICAO, IATA, FAA, CAA, EASA, CAAT, etc, all have technical working groups, looking at issues like this, and issue regular guidelines.

As I posted before, the FAA data on recorded incidents shows the type of devices involved.

Batteries or battery packs (40 % of all incidents),

E-cigarettes and vape devices (20 %)

Cell phones, laptops, and other electronic devices added together, account for the remainder of the incidents. (40%)

18 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The cabin crew would have assessed the situation, to decide if there was either a further risk or need to deploy the masks. The oxygen is chemically produced and not that pleasant (similar to self rescue devices used in industries). The cockpit crews masks are from oxygen cylinders.

The details on the cabin oxygen on an A320 are.

“The masks are located in containers above the passenger seats. Each container has an electrical latching mechanism that opens automatically to allow the masks to drop, if the cabin pressure altitude exceeds 14,000 ft. The flight crew can override the automatic latching mechanism and launch the masks from the cockpit and there is also a manual release tool that allows cabin crew to open them manually.

Chemical generators produce the oxygen. The generation of oxygen begins when the passenger pulls the mask towards themself and will last for about 13 min, 15 min, or 22 min, depending on the aircraft configuration, until the generator is exhausted.

The chemical reaction used for oxygen generation creates heat. Therefore, the smell of burning, smokes and cabin temperature increase may be associated with the normal operation of the oxygen generators.”

Epic overshare. Thank you so much 😆

On 2/26/2024 at 9:49 PM, Jimjim1 said:

Airlines now offer internet services for the duration of the flight so have you ever tried using your phone etc from a bag and a fire proof one at that.

Have you ever tried keeping the phone turned off for the duration of the flight? That's if you ever turned it off in the first place. What on earth is so life-threateningly bad about NOT being able to play with your phone for a few hours? This smartphone addiction is pathetic.

Having said that, Li-ion power sources, be they inside a smartphone or a power bank, have a very, very remote tendency to self-combust when not in use.

Following on from @digger70's suggestion, having an air sickness bag that doubles as a hot-fire containment bag seems a very clever solution to a very small problem.

12 hours ago, digger70 said:

Easy solution,Don't use your Phone and other devices.  I Never do when Flying .

Most of the time one can watch In flight Movies .

There's no need to use ones Devise All the time .

Only kids and some Adults can't do without, they even take the phone to the Toilet and even use it when Driving and eating. Just plain stupid ,No Brains no consideration .

It's an addiction for some. Being unable to play with one's smartphone for any length of time induces something akin to ADHD in some people (almost).

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Epic overshare. Thank you so much 😆

Just stating the facts, and why deployment of the oxygen masks, pose little risk of causing an explosion, as the masks are not free flow and are not likely to make the cabin an oxygen enriched atmosphere.

The masks would not have deployed automatically, so the cabin crew decided the cabin atmosphere was not a risk either.

If you do not like facts, up to you.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Have you ever tried keeping the phone turned off for the duration of the flight? That's if you ever turned it off in the first place. What on earth is so life-threateningly bad about NOT being able to play with your phone for a few hours? This smartphone addiction is pathetic.

Having said that, Li-ion power sources, be they inside a smartphone or a power bank, have a very, very remote tendency to self-combust when not in use.

Following on from @digger70's suggestion, having an air sickness bag that doubles as a hot-fire containment bag seems a very clever solution to a very small problem.

Yes agree with most of what you say, but phones are not the only risk, are you suggesting all Li-ion battery devices are banned from use on flights? Would a business traveller want to be denied use of their laptop?

The fire containment bags currently in use on aircraft are not that small, and does the small limited risk, which current measures seem to handle, warrant the expense for airlines.

The containment bags would just be another souvenir for passengers to take with them, enough life jackets are already being taken.

Source - https://avsax.com/

18 hours ago, digger70 said:

Yes, eventually. A battery sitting on the shelf, not connected to anything at all, will slowly lose its charge over time due to internal self-discharge. With the lithium batteries that are usually used in power banks, this process is slow and would take years.

Then presumably it could be stored in a discharged state..... doesn't make it as useful though!

This is tricky...people are so phone dependent these days...... we need to roll out power sources in all airline seats and eliminate these in baggage. 

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Have you ever tried keeping the phone turned off for the duration of the flight? That's if you ever turned it off in the first

My telephone gets turned on for less than one hour each day just to check my emails and other messages, should I need to make a call it is done within that same hour and then turned off until the next day.

I have better things to do with my time than to be glued to a technological dummy or as some would say a pacifier, I do not subscribe to Facebook, TikTok or any other of the media sites that do every thing in there power to undermine the intelligence of the individual.

And before the clowns out there who put funny face emoticon on this reply, don’t, you only place yourselves in the category alluded to above and look stupid for doing so.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Then presumably it could be stored in a discharged state..... doesn't make it as useful though!

This is tricky...people are so phone dependent these days...... we need to roll out power sources in all airline seats and eliminate these in baggage. 

Can I charge my mobile phone in an aeroplane? Are there electric sockets?

Yes, you can typically charge your mobile phone on an airplane. Many modern airplanes are equipped with electric sockets or USB charging ports at each seat, allowing passengers to charge their devices during the flight. However, it's always a good idea to check with the airline you're flying with to confirm the availability of charging options on your specific flight.

22 hours ago, digger70 said:

Easy solution,Don't use your Phone and other devices.  I Never do when Flying .

Most of the time one can watch In flight Movies .

There's no need to use ones Devise All the time .

Only kids and some Adults can't do without, they even take the phone to the Toilet and even use it when Driving and eating. Just plain stupid ,No Brains no consideration .

My sentiments exactly digger, well said.

I carry a PB only so that I can watch a movie on my iPad when doing interminably long bus journeys in Thailand and the UK, other than that everything remains turned off and never used on aircraft for that I watch in flight movies using a little gizmo that allows me to connect EarPods using blue tooth so no wires to tangle in.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Jimjim1 said:

My sentiments exactly digger, well said.

I carry a PB only so that I can watch a movie on my iPad when doing interminably long bus journeys in Thailand and the UK, other than that everything remains turned off and never used on aircraft for that I watch in flight movies using a little gizmo that allows me to connect EarPods using blue tooth so no wires to tangle in.

Sorry but you do know that your EarPods also have a Li-ion battery in them, same as the type used in phones.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Jimjim1 said:

My telephone gets turned on for less than one hour each day just to check my emails and other messages, should I need to make a call it is done within that same hour and then turned off until the next day.

I have better things to do with my time than to be glued to a technological dummy or as some would say a pacifier, I do not subscribe to Facebook, TikTok or any other of the media sites that do every thing in there power to undermine the intelligence of the individual.

And before the clowns out there who put funny face emoticon on this reply, don’t, you only place yourselves in the category alluded to above and look stupid for doing so.

Sorry but just because you don’t use technology, certainly does not mean others do not.

Most modern industries, use online meetings, to ensure everyone is always involved and time is not wasted getting everyone in a meeting room, which maybe in a different location or country. Planes have Internet connections to allow those that need it, to stay in touch.

Many phone app are also used by industry, such as in recording data, conducting inspections, recording site inspections and even emergency incident command, etc.

Many people need to be in communication at most times, to make decision, act on developing situations, authorise actions and support others.

The world has changed, and technology is part of that world, it has not dumbed it down, but has allowed fast, effective communications and allowed better information spread, to those that need it.

Edited by Georgealbert

Aren’t mobile phones just as dangerous if there’s a faulty /fake battery ?? 
And maybe a stupid question but I have no idea of such things, is it still a problem in waiting if the mobile is turned off completely ?? 

3 hours ago, geisha said:

Aren’t mobile phones just as dangerous if there’s a faulty /fake battery ?? 
And maybe a stupid question but I have no idea of such things, is it still a problem in waiting if the mobile is turned off completely ?? 

It is any device, which contains a Li-ion battery, that also includes when such device is turned off.

The problem is when a  Li-ion battery cell creates more heat than it can effectively disperse, which may lead to a rapid uncontrolled release of heat energy, ‘thermal runaway’, and can result in a fire.

Thermal runaway can be caused by many things, an internal short circuit, ’lithium plating’ , mechanical damage (such as being dropped), exposure to heat from an external source or overcharging/over-discharging.

These types of fires are still a low probability occurrences , but can have a high consequential effects. The quality of the device, and hence battery in it, will increase the risks.

Edited by Georgealbert

19 hours ago, digger70 said:

Can I charge my mobile phone in an aeroplane? Are there electric sockets?

Yes, you can typically charge your mobile phone on an airplane. Many modern airplanes are equipped with electric sockets or USB charging ports at each seat, allowing passengers to charge their devices during the flight. However, it's always a good idea to check with the airline you're flying with to confirm the availability of charging options on your specific flight.

It's something the youtube vloggers always mention when reviewing a flight....

On 2/28/2024 at 11:34 AM, Georgealbert said:

Sorry but just because you don’t use technology, certainly does not mean others do not.

Most modern industries, use online meetings, to ensure everyone is always involved and time is not wasted getting everyone in a meeting room, which maybe in a different location or country. Planes have Internet connections to allow those that need it, to stay in touch.

Many phone app are also used by industry, such as in recording data, conducting inspections, recording site inspections and even emergency incident command, etc.

Many people need to be in communication at most times, to make decision, act on developing situations, authorise actions and support others.

The world has changed, and technology is part of that world, it has not dumbed it down, but has allowed fast, effective communications and allowed better information spread, to those that need it.

Funny but I do not ever recall stating that others do not use telephones or technology just because I choose not to nor have I ever stated that I am not in favour of it, after all how could I be against something I use myself, the difference is that I use it in moderation and do not allow it to run my life.

As for your statement that technology has not caused a dumbing down I trust that when you run down the clown who is glued to his, her telephone oblivious to anything around them and steps out in front of your car, you find some other reason as to why that person did it.

It is quite obvious that to admit that technology was the cause would be a complete anathema to you.

Look in any restaurant etc where you will see two or more people at dinner all of them glued to their  respective smart telephones with not a word passing between them and then tell the world that media technology has not dumbed them down.

3 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

Funny but I do not ever recall stating that others do not use telephones or technology just because I choose not to nor have I ever stated that I am not in favour of it, after all how could I be against something I use myself, the difference is that I use it in moderation and do not allow it to run my life.

As for your statement that technology has not caused a dumbing down I trust that when you run down the clown who is glued to his, her telephone oblivious to anything around them and steps out in front of your car, you find some other reason as to why that person did it.

It is quite obvious that to admit that technology was the cause would be a complete anathema to you.

Look in any restaurant etc where you will see two or more people at dinner all of them glued to their  respective smart telephones with not a word passing between them and then tell the world that media technology has not dumbed them down.

So just another anti telephone rant, with no response to any of the points I raised. 

It is funny that you seem to really think, that by just turning your phone on for less than one hour a day, makes you a better person.

You also seem to be a technophobe that wants to dictate how others live, work, communicate and enjoy themself.

Your posts have done nothing to identify any realistic, suitable or cost effective solutions to the issues and problems discussed in the thread, but that would take critical thinking and understanding, not just stating that because you don’t have/need to use your phone, so no problem for all technology to be banned, for everyone.

• Sad 1

Another incident, with an li-ion battery. Turning the passengers phones off would have not prevented this.

A Breeze Airways flight MX-555 from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh with 88 passengers, was about 150 miles northwest of Albuquerque, when the crew decided to divert to Albuquerque reporting a laptop had caught fire due to thermal runaway of the li-ion battery.

The cabin crew extinguished the fire and secured the laptop, and the aircraft landed safely at Albuquerque. The owner of the laptop was checked by paramedics at the airport and released.

The aircraft remained on the ground in Albuquerque for about 23 hours, then continued the flight as MX-8555 and reached Pittsburgh with a delay of about 23.5 hours.

The FAA reported they are going to investigate the occurrence.

https://bnnbreaking.com/aviation/laptop-fire-diverts-breeze-airways-flight-to-albuquerque-quick-response-averts-crisis

Edited by Georgealbert