Thaksin to have significant role in Pheu Thai ruling party – Poll

image.png

In an opinion poll, released today, most respondents (50.38%) say they believe that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, now on parole, will have advisory political roles in the Pheu Thai party and 26% anticipate that this will significantly reduce the party’s popularity.

The opinion poll on the Corrections Department’s power and politics, taken since Thaksin’s release last Sunday, was conducted by telephone by the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) from February 20th to 22nd. 1,310 respondents aged over 18 throughout the country responded.

Most respondents believe that dissatisfaction over Thaksin’s release on parole, subsequent to his conviction on corruption charges, will not lead to street demonstrations.

Regarding the power of the Corrections Department, most respondents (40%) disagree with its authority to either reduce sentences for or grant parole to prisoners convicted in Court.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-02-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

most respondents (40%) disagree with its authority to either reduce sentences for or grant parole to prisoners convicted in Court.

I wouldn't describe 40% as "most" for a "yes" vs "no" question unless a significant "I don't know" is included in the responses. Otherwise 60% would agree?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

conducted by telephone

Versus online survey?

Can be a case of bias in direct phone poll vs online survey via cell phone (vs land line).

"Phone vs. online surveys: Why do respondents’ answers sometimes differ by mode?", https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2019/02/07/phone-vs-online-surveys-why-do-respondents-answers-sometimes-differ-by-mode/

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Getting boring now... :coffee1:

I think that is what they are hoping the average Thai will feel.

Thaksin, to me, is like TRUMP  . There are people who like him and believe in him no matter what.

There are also people that if he went to every person he met and gave them a million baht they would still hate him.

I do think, though, that his popularity and that of his party is or has faded.  I can not remember anything that he promised in the past 10 years that actually benefitted any of the poor mid-class Thais.

• Like 1