7-Eleven in Thailand Reports Record Income of 399 Billion Baht in 2023

webfact

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

That might explain the differences in Lay's over the last year.

Originally 50 gm packet for 20 baht

then 42 gm for 20 baht

then 42 gm for 22 baht

now 48 gm for 20 baht

Must have realised a 16% reduction in volume plus a 10% price increase was making too much profit.

Srinkflation has been happening for years now. I've tried to explain this to Thais saying it makes the product more expensive for what you get. Some understand but most just no not more expensive. Same price.

download.jpg

Edited by dinsdale

6 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

then 42 gm for 20 baht

then 42 gm for 22 baht

now 48 gm for 20 baht

Must have realised a 16% reduction in volume plus a 10% price increase was making too much profit.

You need to get out more, or maybe get a hobby.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

then 42 gm for 20 baht

then 42 gm for 22 baht

now 48 gm for 20 baht

So it was 50gm for 20 bsht. Now 48gm for 20baht. Do you notice the 2gm? Is that one crisp or two?

Do people really have nothing else going on in their lives??

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

They are better in Japan, but I don't think the Thai ones are far behind - they keep adding more fresh food and more range all the time. You can even buy ribeye steaks (199 baht) - I bought one once for the novelty and it wasn't bad, but I do prefer to pay more for better quality steaks.

7-Elevens in the rest of SE Asia are dreadful: Vietnam, Singapore, Philippines, Indonesia are dirty, tiny, and have nothing of interest. The Thai ones are clean, well run, bright, well stocked., and have excellent service.

7 11s aren't a thing in Viet Nam.  Circle K are the main convenience stores in the major cities and they are comparable to 7 11 in Thailand in terms of cleanliness, stocked items and variety of food options. 

7 11 is essentially the life blood for the average Thai citizens not so much in Viet Nam. 

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So it was 50gm for 20 bsht. Now 48gm for 20baht. Do you notice the 2gm? Is that one crisp or two?

Didn't your attention span get you to the last line, or do I need to explain what it meant to you.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:39 AM, mikebell said:

If the average bill is 83 baht, there must be a great many whose bill is less than that!  What do people buy for less than 83 baht & was the journey really necessary?

Maybe they go there for the same reasons I and the soi dogs do. For a dallop of aircon when it's hot outside.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Maybe they go there for the same reasons I and the soi dogs do. For a dallop of aircon when it's hot outside.

And to break that 1,000 baht note for smaller banknotes.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, BayArea said:

7 11s aren't a thing in Viet Nam.  Circle K are the main convenience stores in the major cities and they are comparable to 7 11 in Thailand in terms of cleanliness, stocked items and variety of food options. 

7 11 is essentially the life blood for the average Thai citizens not so much in Viet Nam. 

You're right, I was getting mixed up with Circle K in Vietnam. I used to go there often but it's been a couple of years. Still found Circle K's to be very underwhelming at least in HCMC.

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

Don't get me started on dogs at food outlets.  It's the kiss of death for me.

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2024 at 5:09 PM, brianthainess said:

My local 7/11 had the monopoly in our village for so long and the most expensive one I have ever come across their beer is 5b more, their cigs are 6b more, now Mini C has opened next door, I hardly ever use the 7/11, and now I hear a Lotus is going to open. 

Monopolies are rife in Thailand, usually under the control of influential families.

In your village, don't be surprised if 7-11 + MiniC + Lotus come to a price-fixing agreement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Monopolies are rife in Thailand, usually under the control of influential families.

In your village, don't be surprised if 7-11 + MiniC + Lotus come to a price-fixing agreement.

Well they haven't so far. D-save are also a lot cheaper and will deliver free, a box of beer, a sleeve of cigs. and anything else they sell.

Judging by my visit to tick tock it appears that much of this is due to foreign tick tockers and their fetish with junk food at this arm of CP conglomerate.

Come to Thailand and rave about s***** sandwiches from a convenience store...

27 minutes ago, mikebell said:

price-fixing agreement

In US alcohol is a highly competitively priced product. Here you could go to a big box store in BKK that is famous for being a big discounter did you pay the same amount of for booze and some 7-Eleven 1,000 km up country in the middle of nowhere.

On 2/27/2024 at 12:43 AM, josephbloggs said:

It really is a thing. I don't eat much junk food and snack but sometimes I just want a bag of something. I have stopped buying potato crisps and I avoid all Jack and Jill products as I have seen these shrink in volume or size by 50%

6 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

Judging by my visit to tick tock it appears that much of this is due to foreign tick tockers and their fetish with junk food at this arm of CP conglomerate.

Come to Thailand and rave about s***** sandwiches from a convenience store...

It's more about what 7-11s offer in there home countries, and pricing of the not 'get you in' items; milk, deli meats or whatever.  Most items priced much higher than larger chains, supermarkets.

7-11s here/TH offer a good range of everything, fresh or frozen meals, packaged and fresh baked pastries, and at competitive pricing, especially compared to chain stores here.  Not too much to worry about expiration dates either, compared to ma/pa shops' old stock.

Convenience, as I think we have about 8 within 4 kms, and parking never a problem.  Definitely a Godsend when O&A, as we enjoy rural holidays or the beaten path.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's more about what 7-11s offer in there home countries, and pricing of the not 'get you in' items; milk, deli meats or whatever.  Most items priced much higher than larger chains, supermarkets.

7-11s here/TH offer a good range of everything, fresh or frozen meals, packaged and fresh baked pastries, and at competitive pricing, especially compared to chain stores here.  Not too much to worry about expiration dates either, compared to ma/pa shops' old stock.

Convenience, as I think we have about 8 within 4 kms, and parking never a problem.  Definitely a Godsend when O&A, as we enjoy rural holidays or the beaten path.

Yeah, but they are routine food stop for TikTokers in central BKK!

Years ago I recall vividly noting that the prices were just a few baht more than Big C and it was very difficult to make the walk of additional kilometer instead of just doing the 200 m.

Now, as you have stated it's all about the convenience thing and they charge for it.

6 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

Yeah, but they are routine food stop for TikTokers in central BKK!

Years ago I recall vividly noting that the prices were just a few baht more than Big C and it was very difficult to make the walk of additional kilometer instead of just doing the 200 m.

Now, as you have stated it's all about the convenience thing and they charge for it.

Considering the convenience, and price of 1 liter of petrol to get you a chain store, 7-11s fit the bill for a few baht, if that, if just picking up a few items, snack or daily basics.

On 2/26/2024 at 5:26 AM, flyingtlger said:

The ubiquitous 7-11's in Thailand are great but the 7-11's in Japan are way better.....

Except the one in Haneda which only accepts cash, where all exchanges around only sell foreign currencies but not Yen, so for transit passengers, Family Mart kiosks right in front of their shop take away 90% of all their customers...

Well, they are certainly convenient and well-run but I do try to support my local Bangkok mom & pop shop as much as possible.

I'd rather give my trade to an independent than a monopolistic corporate but I expect I am pissing in the wind and they will gradually all close down in future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, realfunster said:

Well, they are certainly convenient and well-run but I do try to support my local Bangkok mom & pop shop as much as possible.

I'd rather give my trade to an independent than a monopolistic corporate but I expect I am pissing in the wind and they will gradually all close down in future.

Most are franchises owned/leased by locals, employing more locals.  Usually no concern about expired products.

7 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Except the one in Haneda which only accepts cash, where all exchanges around only sell foreign currencies but not Yen, so for transit passengers, Family Mart kiosks right in front of their shop take away 90% of all their customers...

Haha

Family is out of business in Thailand.

I saw a 7 move next to family. They are often near but these two shared a wall. Family was finished in two years. 7 business model just so superior.

When confronted with the two as much as I don't really support CP I do support 7... I would without hesitation go to 7:00 even if it was a bit farther. The cleanliness, the air conditioning was usually ice cold, 90% are relatively clean. The 10% are perhaps in highly trafficked Central Bangkok. Finally it just had what I was looking for. Many times that going to family and walk out empty-handed.

That doesn't mean I'm getting my meals there although b30 coffee (was 25) is one of few the only thing that I put in my mouth from 7.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2024 at 12:43 AM, josephbloggs said:

I have noticed my Magnum Bars are getting both smaller and more expensive.... I live for one of those every now and again!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 1:42 PM, Guderian said:

I've been surprised this last year or so to find the local 7-eleven selling certain beers cheaper than any other shop in Pattaya, including Makro. I've no idea how they do that as you're supposed to pay a premium for the convenience of buying stuff locally, but I'm quite happy to just go 200 yards down the road rather than all the way to Makro or Friendship.

Beer fluctuates due to the change in tax that doesn't come into effect until the new stock arrives. Stock change affects other items just the same in these days of high inflation. That means some cheap but "unfashionable" or less advertised brands have stock long after tax or other increased prices changes come into force. This happens between branches too and not just in the "convenient" stores. Bread went up 20% not long ago and sugar has just done the same. Many of these increases might be delayed from previous rises but some I suspect are just testing the market for better profits.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:33 AM, jacko45k said:

I have noticed my Magnum Bars are getting both smaller and more expensive.... I live for one of those every now and again!

Tivoli chocolate wafer biscuits have shrunk by 40-50%. There is some hidden profiteering going on at the moment. Some imports have gone up with the exchange rate but other locally produced items have also gone up when gas prices have gone back to early 2022 levels. Vote with your wallet, don't buy things that have gone up without reason. 

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Tivoli chocolate wafer biscuits have shrunk by 40-50%. There is some hidden profiteering going on at the moment. Some imports have gone up with the exchange rate but other locally produced items have also gone up when gas prices have gone back to early 2022 levels. Vote with your wallet, don't buy things that have gone up without reason. 

There would be far fewer, if any, simple pleasures left!

On 2/26/2024 at 7:39 AM, mikebell said:

If the average bill is 83 baht, there must be a great many whose bill is less than that!  What do people buy for less than 83 baht & was the journey really necessary?

Mostly waters and small drinks. Those bottles of water for 10 baht.

• Agree 1