USA SSA 1099-R replcament, on-line verification issues.

For the past 5 hours I've been trying to do the verification process on-line with the US SSA.

I am trying to get a replacement 1099-R, as I never-ever get mail from outside Thailand unless it is registered or a box. Letters simply never arrive. I've been here 7 years and have gotten

one letter -5 months late four years ago.

After an hour with the lady in Arizona, it was determined my documents were not sufficient for a verification.

I had a DD214, Birth cert, Passport, SS card, . None have an address in Thailand (of course)...

I have loads of Thai ID, but none in English. (again, of course).

How do I work round this? I plan on calling the PI tomorrow.

Do I need to use a US address?  I could, but all my US ID (drivers license) has expired, no util bills, cable bills, ect, as I live here, not there.

It is enough grief to cause a stroke.

Was just going to ask same as for OPM that is exactly what I do each year and enter the information on tax form for online file.  As do not get SS can not be sure if they have such service or not.

On second read perhaps OP is trying to set up access to online services - which could be an issue from overseas.  

Edited by lopburi3

18 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Is it not possible to log in at ssa.gov and download it?

https://www.ssa.gov/manage-benefits/get-tax-form-10991042s

Not  your own personal filled in 1099. It would have my social on it, and all personal info.

never saw that, and the agent did not point it out. I will try it. Thanks

Edited by PeterA
More info

OP,

I think you are saying you are trying to complete Identity Verification  thru ID.me or Login.gov which you must do before you can create a SSA Online account?   Which one are you dealing with.

You are not dealing directly with SSA.  Highly doubtful SSA Manila can help you...and you'll be very lucky to get them on the phone.

21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Was just going to ask same as for OPM that is exactly what I do each year and enter the information on tax form for online file.  As do not get SS can not be sure if they have such service or not.

On second read perhaps OP is trying to set up access to online services - which could be an issue from overseas.  

I am trying to get a copy of my 1099- The link provided  here may work, but I must use a VPN. I need to wait a few hours to get in during their operating hours..

24 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I just downloaded my OPM and my SSA 1099 R. You must be under the old pension system CRS or such.

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

I just downloaded my OPM and my SSA 1099 R. You must be under the old pension system CRS or such.

Indeed an oldie.  One of the 2 percent hired before 1984 (well before) and chose CSRS when retired in 1992.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, PeterA said:

I am trying to get a copy of my 1099- The link provided  here may work, but I must use a VPN. I need to wait a few hours to get in during their operating hours..

If you are talking about a weblink to log into your SSA Online Acct you shouldn't need a VPN....I don't use a VPN when logging in from Thailand.  I use to use a U.S. VPN IP connection but found out the SSA Online Acct works "faster/smoother" when not using a VPN connection even thru my VPN connection is fast.

But to log into the SSA Online acct you will first need to have an acct which means you would first have to pass the identity verification thru ID.me or Login.gov. 

OR, if  you already had an online acct created several years ago you can still log onto the SSA acct directly without going thru the ID.me or Login.gov verification process...when SSA switched to ID.me and Login.gov for identity verification there was a big uproar about it and the SSA ended up grandfathering folks who had SSA online accts already to not have to go thru the identity verification process again.   They could still go thru the identity verification process again if they desired in order to also access SSA Online acct via the ID.me or Login.gov portals.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

But to log into the SSA Online acct you will first need to have an acct which means you would first have to pass the identity verification thru ID.me or Login.gov. 

Many months ago when setting up my ID.me account, I had to call them on my smart phone, turn on my camera and show them, IIRC, 2 forms of ID; my passport and my Arizona driver's license.  Now i can log onto id.me using a 2 step authenticator, works fine for me.

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Many months ago when setting up my ID.me account, I had to call them on my smart phone, turn on my camera and show them, IIRC, 2 forms of ID; my passport and my Arizona driver's license.  Now i can log onto id.me using a 2 step authenticator, works fine for me.

Yea....same for me regarding getting verified via ID.me a couple years ago which I had to do to maintain my IRS online acct.  After providing the necessary IDs a video call was required to finalize the verification....as you know it a free video link....kinda like doing a video call over LINE, Facebook, etc.   Now as far as I know login.gov will not do a video call when there is still some question about provided IDs.  ID.me is better to get verified on IMO simply because they will take the extra step to do a video call to confirm identity when there is still some question/concern about ID(s) provided.

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Just what is"  Old Pension system, and CRS or such"? Please share..

9 hours ago, PeterA said:

Just what is"  Old Pension system, and CRS or such"? Please share..

CSRS for federal employees before 1984 didn't pay into social security and pension was a % of their base pay with zero SS money, those hired after 1984 like me have a pension plan called FERS where you pay into SS and when you retire you get your SS plus your Gov pension which is calculated differently meaning the gov pays you way less.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, why do you need a 1099? I guess if you're not getting any mail, you didn't get the "here are your new benefits" letter from the SSA at the beginning of the year (which has all the same info as a 1099). But, if you have no withholding, you certainly can figure out what the SSA paid you in 2023, by looking at your bank statement where your SS check is deposited...

Anyway, no 1099s need be filed with electronic filing; and hardcopy by mail filing only requires a 1099 if there is withholding tax involved.

• 1 month later...

Last year I seem to remember having a problem getting my SSA online access sorted out. As part of the process, they sent a login code to my US address.  Someone at that end opened the mail and sent me the code, but as it turned out, TurboTax already had the information. I guess that was a service I signed up for the previous year.  They will collect all your information from SSA, OPM, banks, brokerages, etc., for a fee.

Anyway, I’m in the process of switching everything over to Thailand.  No US address. I’ve got to look into Schwab International.  I already have a Schwab US account, but I don’t see much of a problem using the international account.  It’s a stock account plus a bank.  From what I can tell, the bank is US based (Citibank), so I can have pensions or whatever deposited there.

Another thing I found out is that you can sign up for direct deposit of pensions, SSA checks, etc., directly to a Thai bank. Every month, the Treasury sends a wire transfer. The details on making the request weren’t exactly clear, but you do have to send an actual letter to each agency.  I guess I’ll try it and see.  Maybe it’ll be a simple process. This process is different than the process for sending SSA checks to Bangkok Bank.

21 minutes ago, jas007 said:

Another thing I found out is that you can sign up for direct deposit of pensions, SSA checks, etc., directly to a Thai bank. Every month, the Treasury sends a wire transfer. The details on making the request weren’t exactly clear, but you do have to send an actual letter to each agency.  I guess I’ll try it and see.  Maybe it’ll be a simple process. This process is different than the process for sending SSA checks to Bangkok Bank.

It's called International Direct Deposit (IDD).  Although most should accept a letter "if" it has all the required info it's best to use the specific IDD form.  The monthly benefit is sent via the SWIFT system.  For SSA IDD direct deposit, the SSA form is at below SSA webpage.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

• Agree 1