I cannot receive a security code sms from a major bank in Australia

2 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

Problem - you need to go to Oz Embassy and get certified copy of passport.  Next day, called again, same problem, no SMS received.   Then downloaded NAB App to my new Oppo - incompatible, cannot work!!

yes ... exactly the same with me .... NAB lady wanted me to go and get passport certified, I did resist and told her it's not my fault Citibank is taken over by NAB ...  anyway, I emailed NAB migration group ... and now i can see account but still no SMS received.  

Do you think it's AIS or NAB  that's the problem  ????

On 2/26/2024 at 6:27 PM, steven100 said:

yes ... the sim is only $5 ... 365 days ..

"Normal" SMS's and OTP's are handled differently.  I had no trouble receiving SMS's sent to my AIS number from my Aussie bank, but couldn't receive OTP's, and they froze my debit card on one occasion because I didn't confirm the transaction. 

Therefore, I bought an Aldi SIM on a trip there last year.  It costs $5 for a SIM, with 60 days credit. Then you have to top it up using one of their options. Each top up is valid for 365 days, and is easily done online.  Using the cheapest option, I will be paying $15 per year.  It's in the second SIM slot on my phone and on standby, but with mobile data turned off.  It is free to receive messages on it, so as long as you just leave it to receive SMS's and OTPs, the annual top up is all that you will pay.

Edit: You also need to enable roaming on it, which can be done on the website.

image.png.2d3c7aa5817b5b757194f1a3c01561cd.png

Edited by ballpoint
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2024 at 9:16 AM, steven100 said:

yes ... exactly the same with me .... NAB lady wanted me to go and get passport certified, I did resist and told her it's not my fault Citibank is taken over by NAB ...  anyway, I emailed NAB migration group ... and now i can see account but still no SMS received.  

Do you think it's AIS or NAB  that's the problem  ????

The problem, in my opinion, is NAB.

I had other problems with NAB decades ago in the 1980s; in frustration I withdrew all my cash, closed the account, took the escalator up to the next floor of the Brisbane shopping centre and open a Westpac account - no problems since.

The lady I spoke to at NAB last week stated that all my CitiBank personal details had been transferred to NAB.  I asked if this included all the certified personal identity documentation I supplied to CitiBank a few years back, and she replied "yes".  "Show why cannot you consult that documentation?"  "No, you have to supply the documentation to NAB personally."

WTF??  Bye bye NAB.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 4:33 PM, ukrules said:

This is why I keep a UK sim active and I've been living in various other places for decades - it just works.

Agree. If you have a live sim card for the other country, insert that sim card then try the transaction. I was in Australia for a while I kept live sim cards for both LOS (AI) and my Oz tel. provider. I swapped cards in my phone as needed, got the OTP every time.

But when I decided to return to LOS permanently I called my bank in Oz and asked how can I keep in contact* with the Oz bank and get OTPs?         * The aussie bank needs at OTP to get into their website / open my account details. 

The Oz bank call centre said 'we can arrange that' and they asked me for the full address of where I would be living in Thailand and my full telephone number in LOS incl. county code etc. Call center man said 'this will need approval from a supervisor, should be all working in 24 hrs. A few days later I was back in LOS, I tried to pay a bill in Oz using the Oz bank account, instantly I got a message 'click on the country where you are right now' I clicked on Thailand, then 2 security questions then I got a drop down OTP code on my phone (phone connected to AIS). inserted the OTP code and all working. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:43 AM, JimHuaHin said:

The problem, in my opinion, is NAB.

I had other problems with NAB decades ago in the 1980s; in frustration I withdrew all my cash, closed the account, took the escalator up to the next floor of the Brisbane shopping centre and open a Westpac account - no problems since.

The lady I spoke to at NAB last week stated that all my CitiBank personal details had been transferred to NAB.  I asked if this included all the certified personal identity documentation I supplied to CitiBank a few years back, and she replied "yes".  "Show why cannot you consult that documentation?"  "No, you have to supply the documentation to NAB personally."

WTF??  Bye bye NAB.

I had issues with NAB when I returned to Oz, I went into an NAB branch, said I wanted to open an account. Less than helpful, not welcoming in any way, never any clear explanations, ATM issues. I moved on. 

• Thumbs Up 1