I cannot receive a security code sms from a major bank in Australia

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Prolly not relevant but I had the cheapo Boost sim when I came to Thailand and a week later Boost decided they weren't going to send SMS overseas anymore. Make sure you use only Telstra.

I think Telstra was one of the carriers the Thai government blocks bank codes from ... Telstra and Vodaphone ..  the AIS lady showed me on her iPad ....   because she asked if their were other carriers, and i told her Optus and maybe another one ... 

Edited by steven100

21 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The problem with that is it's only 60 days ,  then top up is $15 ....  so just to have that sim in the phone for a year may add up somewhat ....

Nope

Read it again.

It's $5.00 for 365 days and you top as require.

It's as cheap as chips for SMS's.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

This is why I keep a UK sim active and I've been living in various other places for decades - it just works.

It's worth noting that both bank's Android Apps, once set up, work fine with no messing about with codes for normal activities, but when setting up new transfers you may need your card reader thingy. Mine seems to need new batteries every time I use it (rarely).

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Aldi is very affordable, $15 buys you one year's PAYG period. Every time you top up, the year is reset.

just seen this if it means anything ... *Please note: Telstra’s 3G Network will close end of June 2024. After this date, you'll need a 4G device with VoLTE calling capability to stay connected to our network.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, norbra said:

You should check the Thai number you have listed on your bank account, example;

+66 123456789,No 0 after 66. And only 9 digits.

I have AIS sim and get sms from Westpac

yes ... we had this discussion over the phone and I told her no zero when international ...  she thinks the number is fine it's just the receiving end possibly blocks.  I don't know for sure ...

Just now, steven100 said:

yes ... we had this discussion over the phone and I told her no zero when international ...  she thinks the number is fine it's just the receiving end possibly blocks.  I don't know for sure ...

Can you receive sms from friend?

11 minutes ago, norbra said:

You should check the Thai number you have listed on your bank account, example;

+66 123456789,No 0 after 66. And only 9 digits.

I have AIS sim and get sms from Westpac

also Nobra,  it must be the correct number because I use to get the codes from Citibank Australia no problem ...  and NAB now has the same profile ... same number .. etc ..

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

also Nobra,  it must be the correct number because I use to get the codes from Citibank Australia no problem ...  and NAB now has the same profile ... same number .. etc ..

If you have installed a new app make sure all notifications are allowed

5 minutes ago, norbra said:

No new app ....  but Notifications allowed is on ... messaging .... google ... and all other apps.

5 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Are SMSs from Australia to Thailand free for the bank? If not that might be the issue. I keep an EU cellular number to which my bank can send free SMSs free of charge. 

i'm not completely sure on free or not but it's part of the banking security and they automatically send out the code so I don't think charging has anything to do with it.

5 minutes ago, norbra said:

Do you get sms promos from AIS,I get 3 everyday

not really any promos because I think I told them some years ago not to send AIS advertisements, you can stop them if you want.  But I do get the AIS internet request for top-up if the balance is down, so they just send a reminder each day if I want their 200 baht a month internet .. then top-up

but internet is not part of sms ... or Wi-Fi ...  only a SIM is needed to receive sms.  correct ? 

Edited by steven100

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

not really any promos because I think I told them some years ago not to send AIS advertisements, you can stop them if you want.  But I do get the AIS internet request for top-up if the balance is down, so they just send a reminder each day if I want their 200 baht a month internet .. then top-up ...

2 years ago when I had 2 sims AIS&DTAC I blocked AIS because of the promos.

This year got a new phone with 2 AIS sim cards, transfered everything and was getting occasional messages from AIS but no

top-up receipt.

I sent a sms to my self and it worked OK,that's when I remembered blocking AIS those 2 years ago.

So check your blocked calls list.

1 minute ago, norbra said:

2 years ago when I had 2 sims AIS&DTAC I blocked AIS because of the promos.

This year got a new phone with 2 AIS sim cards, transfered everything and was getting occasional messages from AIS but no

top-up receipt.

I sent a sms to my self and it worked OK,that's when I remembered blocking AIS those 2 years ago.

So check your blocked calls list.

yeah'  the AIS lady looked at that today and there's none blocked ...   I really think it's the Thai government blocking bank sms's thing .....    some are getting through and some aren't ...... unfortunately from NAB .. mine aren't ..

I think that's just the problem ...

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

The problem with that is it's only 60 days ,  then top up is $15 ....  so just to have that sim in the phone for a year may add up somewhat ....

It is not...Aldi mobile PAYG credit is valid for 365 days.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, norbra said:

Let's see what their AIS engineer comes back with and then where to go from there ....   I think I can change carriers here without losing my number .. ( I can use the same number with DTAC )  

maybe this will be a good option ..

appreciate your help and answers Nobra.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

Let's see what their AIS engineer comes back with and then where to go from there ....   I think I can change carriers here without losing my number .. ( I can use the same number with DTAC )  

maybe this will be a good option ..

appreciate your help and answers Nobra.

Just another thought can you put the sim in a different phone then try again

1 minute ago, norbra said:

Just another thought can you put the sim in a different phone then try again

I probably could try that to eliminate if it's a phone issue ...  but I'd have to email or call NAB to set that in motion again ..

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ... the sim is only $5 ... 365 days ..

Another option is Amaysim, they have prepaid sim with PAYG $10 credit valid for 365 days. This can also be bought as esim (Aldi doesn't support esim yet) so in theory you may be able to buy it online and activate in Thailand, but check with Amaysim first, it varies across providers. Your phone must have esim support.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Another option is Amaysim, they have prepaid sim with PAYG $10 credit valid for 365 days. This can also be bought as esim (Aldi doesn't support esim yet) so in theory you may be able to buy it online and activate in Thailand, but check with Amaysim first, it varies across providers. Your phone must have esim support.

ok .. thanks..  that's a optin anyway if all else fails ...

57 minutes ago, steven100 said:

just seen this if it means anything ... *Please note: Telstra’s 3G Network will close end of June 2024. After this date, you'll need a 4G device with VoLTE calling capability to stay connected to our network.

My OPPO is 4 years old, has 4G. I don't know about 5G.

Anybody else feel this way? Stop the World, I want to get off.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Has anyone else ever had this problem with an overseas bank sms and security codes ....   ??

Nope, always get one on my Oz number which is continuously on roaming. 

15 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I'm with AIS here and I've never had any problem with receiving OTP, including Citibank and (I think) NAB. But recently, with the NAB takeover of Citi Oz just completed, I've had 2 occasions when NAB said they sent me a secure SMS and I never received them ...

Ditto.

I have accounts with 3 different banks in Australia, and I use AIS.

Over the years, maybe 1-2 times every 2-3 years, a SMS code was not received.  I would try a few hours later or the next day, no problems.

With CitiBank Australia going to NAB - problems.  Called NAB to activate new card; no problems, until sent SMS not received.  Try again please, no SMS received.  Problem - you need to go to Oz Embassy and get certified copy of passport.  Next day, called again, same problem, no SMS received.   Then downloaded NAB App to my new Oppo - incompatible, cannot work!!

Late last week move CitiBank Australia money to other Australian bank.

Bye Bye NAB.