Chinese National Arrested with 3 kg Heroin at Suvarnabhumi Airport, En Route to Australia

webfact

image.jpeg

Police arrested a Chinese national carrying 3 kilograms of heroin at Suvarnabhumi Airport, en route to Australia. The Airport Interdiction Task Force, comprising Customs, ONCB, and Thai Police, intercepted the suspect following a tip-off from Chinese authorities. 

Investigations confirmed the suspect's plan to transport heroin on February 26th from Bangkok to Melbourne. During inspection, officials found heroin concealed in cans and a book within the suspect's luggage, reported Siam Rath.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

The suspect faces charges for attempting to smuggle Category 1 heroin out of Thailand and trafficking. Lieutenant General Phanurat stressed the government's commitment to combat drug trafficking, vowing to collaborate with Chinese authorities and the Australian Federal Police for further investigations. 

The interception underscores the importance of air travel routes in drug smuggling, necessitating continued efforts to combat transnational crime.

Top Picture: Siam Rath

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-02-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thai Police, intercepted the suspect following a tip-off from Chinese authorities. 

I wonder if he'll be sent back to China or serve jail time in Thailand?

I wouldn't want to be in a Thai prison but it might be better than getting a death sentence back in China....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

I wouldn't want to be in a Thai prison but it might be better than getting a death sentence back in China....

he will likely do some time in Thailand prison and then later extradited back to China to serve the remainder of his sentence in a Chinese prison. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Chinese man arrested at Bangkok airport with 3,000 grammes of heroin
by Petch Petpailin

image.jpeg
Photo via Facebook/ สำนักงานคณะกรรมการป้องกันและปราบปรามยาเสพติด

Airport Interdiction Task Force (AITF) officers at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok arrested a Chinese man who attempted to smuggle 3,000 grammes of heroin into Australia. The drugs were concealed in books and powder bottles.

The Thai Narcotics Control Board Office (ONCB), stationed in China, reported the drug trafficking plan involving a suspicious Chinese man to the AITF. Further investigation revealed that the man intended to smuggle drugs from Thailand to Melbourne City in Australia via Suvarnabhumi Airport on Monday, February 26.

AITF officers closely monitored flights to Melbourne until they identified the suspicious Chinese man, whose identity matched the reported information. Upon inspecting his belongings, officers discovered heroin in his possession.

The heroin was concealed in two plastic baby powder bottles while six bars were hidden within the books, totalling 3,000 grammes.

The Chinese drug smuggler faces two charges including:

Section 90 of the Narcotics Control Act: importing Category 1 drug (heroin) without permission. The penalty is imprisonment of up to 15 years and a fine of 1.5 million baht.

Section 145(1) of the Narcotics Control Act: possessing Category 1 drug (heroin) for sale. The penalty is imprisonment from two to 20 years and a fine of 200,000 to 2 million baht.
The Permanent Secretary of the ONCB, Phanurat Lakboon, reported that the AITF would coordinate with the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and the Royal Thai Embassy in Beijing to search for relevant suspects in this drug trafficking case.

Phanurat stated that drug trafficking through airports is an important focus for the ONCB, in addition to drug trafficking at Thailand’s borders. From October 1, 2023, to the present day, officers swooped to sweep up 85 drug trafficking incidents involving Thailand and Australia. Some 116.11 kilogrammes of heroin and 116.14 kilogrammes of crystal meth were confiscated during the operation.

One of the most recent crackdowns on drug trafficking between Thailand and Australia was reported in January this year. A Thai woman was hired by a Laotian man to deliver cushions from Thailand to Australia. The woman’s father suspected something wasn’t quite right with the weight of the Laotian man’s cushions and decided to seek a police investigation.

Source: The Thaiger 2024-02-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

9 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I think China will want him back if they were the ones tipping off the Thai police.

It's all a smoke screen. The Chinese officials tipped off the Thai police about this guy while a dozen others got through without an issue and a lot of envelopes changed hands. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Cereal said:

It's all a smoke screen. The Chinese officials tipped off the Thai police about this guy while a dozen others got through without an issue and a lot of envelopes changed hands. 

Everybody always assumes that, but they obviously never have any evidence. How could they have, unless they were in on the scam. It's just an urban myth. You think the Oz authorities would be partial to some fat backhanders also? From like 10 couriers? Any complicity and they'd suffer the same fate.

Edited by bradiston
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

If he was caught in Viet Nam,  he would remained there before getting the death penalty. No extradition needed or unnecessary prison time. 

On 2/29/2024 at 12:01 AM, bradiston said:

Everybody always assumes that, but they obviously never have any evidence. How could they have, unless they were in on the scam. It's just an urban myth. You think the Oz authorities would be partial to some fat backhanders also? From like 10 couriers? Any complicity and they'd suffer the same fate.

Not on the Aussie side. here. It's all bets off once they get on the plane. Statistics dictate some are going to get through. The big guys don't care about the couriers. Some always get through. A close relative is the chief of narcotics here. I get a great deal of inside info.