Blood pressure meds & fatigue

On 2/29/2024 at 10:05 AM, jojothai said:

Very true. You need to get an idea of variation during the day. Not just a single reading at the doctor.

Also, if you wake up at night feeling stressed, then take the BP readings. Its very important to know if you are having high blood pressure when sleeping.

When we go to the hospitals for any issues, they always take the blood pressure reading (good excuse for more money).
I sometimes get a motorbike taxi, then i always have to tell them not to take my blood pressure immediately and wait at least 15 to 20 minutes.  

At my local gov; hospital you have to walk up a steep slope to the hospital entrance , then you are told immediately by a nurse to sit and take a b/p test in the b/p machine . Mine is always 150 ish , wait 5 minutes and its down to around 130 . At home its always around 120 / 60 or there about . Having a few beers the night before can an effect of increasing your b/p . I once took amlodipine and it made my legs and ankles swell up ( Edema ) . Doctor stopped amlodipine and put me on losartan .

Your b/p is always higher in the morning and peaks at mid-day then drops late afternoon and evening .

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

Did the medication lower your BP?

Great question

No....it didn't,strangely it stayed at around 140/87

It then got me thinking and this only like 10  days on 5mg a day , but it got me thinking ," crikey I hope I don't need to take 10mg a day 

But by then the ankles had swelled ,the muscle aches set in ,the fatigue so I have stopped Amlodipine now for about 4 days and ...I'm feeling much better , strangely my BP is still around 138/140 and I'm just going to accept it 

I don't need all this medication these doctors are trying to put me on 

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Great question

No....it didn't,strangely it stayed at around 140/87

It then got me thinking and this only like 10  days on 5mg a day , but it got me thinking ," crikey I hope I don't need to take 10mg a day 

But by then the ankles had swelled ,the muscle aches set in ,the fatigue so I have stopped Amlodipine now for about 4 days and ...I'm feeling much better , strangely my BP is still around 138/140 and I'm just going to accept it 

I don't need all this medication these doctors are trying to put me on 

You need a different medication, that's what you need, if any. Your BP is not that high.

Check out this website for BP ranges : https://bloodpressureok.com/

There are many alternatives, discuss this with your Doctor, Amlodipine is merely one of dozens of commonly available medications.

There is no reason to ever put up with medications that don't work for you especially if they introduce side effects when there's so many alternatives available.

For example my father was taking Lisinopril (Lispril brand here) and was also on Furosemide (a diuretic) for a separate condition (Oedema of the feet) which made his BP too low (like 80/50 low) so they dropped the Lisinopril as it really is so very effective at reducing BP, one of the side effects is low BP and reduced the Furosemide, now he's just fine.

If your normal Doctor is not too familiar with all the treatments then go and speak to a Cardiologist who most certainly will be.

Edited by ukrules