Grand Filano scooter hard starting after sitting.

I have a Yamaha scooter, Grand Filano 125cc which cranks over as it should in the mornings but the engine does not fire. After quite a few attempts it finally starts and runs as it should. After sitting all day come evening the same problem, when the engine is warm it starts straight up so only when the engine is cold. It is fuel injected so I am thinking its either the fuel feed pump or the fuel injection system malfunctioning. The battery, starter etc is working fine, I replaced the air filter and spark plug a few months ago and its serviced regularly, once running it performs as it should. Anyone have this issue with a Yamaha scooter, Mio, Fino, Filano etc???

Edited by paul1804

2 hours ago, paul1804 said:

I have a Yamaha scooter, Grand Filano 125cc which cranks over as it should in the mornings but the engine does not fire. After quite a few attempts it finally starts and runs as it should. After sitting all day come evening the same problem, when the engine is warm it starts straight up so only when the engine is cold. It is fuel injected so I am thinking its either the fuel feed pump or the fuel injection system malfunctioning. The battery, starter etc is working fine, I replaced the air filter and spark plug a few months ago and its serviced regularly, once running it performs as it should. Anyone have this issue with a Yamaha scooter, Mio, Fino, Filano etc???

Have the same problem occasionally but only in the morning, kick start doesn't work, not sure if it is the switch in the stand but sometimes if I put it down and up a couple of times it will start, also if it doesn't start on the first crank I turn the key off and then back on then it usually starts mine is a 2016

22 hours ago, flexomike said:

Have the same problem occasionally but only in the morning, kick start doesn't work, not sure if it is the switch in the stand but sometimes if I put it down and up a couple of times it will start, also if it doesn't start on the first crank I turn the key off and then back on then it usually starts mine is a 2016

I have ordered a new fuel pump so will see if this fixes the problem. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Andycoops said:

I had a similar problem recently changed the battery and back to 100%

It is not a cranking problem, it just doesnt fire despite cranking as it should. 

• Like 1

Sounds to me that you have a leak in the fuel delivery system which allows air in over night and you have to crank the engine until the fuel is pushed to the engine clearing the air and allowing the engine to start, the earlier suggestion of a leaky injector could be correct so you should check all fuel line connection's.

On 3/1/2024 at 3:27 PM, flexomike said:

Usually you need a centre stand when kick starting as the side stand stops it starting

We used to have that problem with our old Fino especially if it had been standing for a couple of days, 

Last week I bought a new one, the new ones don't have a kick start on them, 

21 hours ago, paul1804 said:

I have ordered a new fuel pump so will see if this fixes the problem. 

I fail to see the logic for that. 

You can hear it when you turn the key. Then it stops. Then OK.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Usually you need a centre stand when kick starting as the side stand stops it starting

Filano has two stands, one with the kill switch when you park it and one for trying to kick start it