Full Page Replies - Why?

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I just want to commend all the posters here. Pretty much everyone is down to one liners here, job well done.

I was active on  Twitter when a tweet was limited to 140 characters. 

Or as I put it elsewhere, the trick is to be concise to the point that someone has already read what you posted before they realize that they wish that they hadn't read it.

Guilty as charged.  In my defense, I do try to not write any more than what is needed to convey what I am thinking.  As others have said, sometimes a topic will need more space than others.  Now and then, I do enjoy going off on a riff with a topic--and I like when others do, as well.  To me, that's one of the enjoyments of AN, reading a well-written post; thank goodness we have full-page replies!  How boring it would be if everything was one or two sentence posts.   Occasionally, I will do one word posts, when one word is all that is needed.  Variety is the spice . . .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Just because you don't have the social graces or the educational knowledge to discuss matters such as they, spitefulness and envy spring to mind.

You should look upon it as a learning curve to enlightenment.

Save you swilling and sweating away at the girlie bar, maybe?

How about I have enough grey matter to write a short, concise sentence to convey my thoughts vs. the guy who thinks his long rambling page of thoughts is of importance. You're not alone here thinking like that. You'll fit right in.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:27 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Then we have the guy who double spaces each sentence........

I was told the most important space on a page of text is the white part between the lines.

19 hours ago, Dolf said:

Well prove me wrong then.

On Russell's Teapot. One of the most famous arguments… | by Duncan Vinluan  | Medium

Russell's Teapot

An attempt to shift the burden of proof from the author to the skeptic. Not uncommon around here; one of the worst trolls in the Pattaya forum (since vanished, good riddance) used it constantly in his doom prophecies about Pattaya--all of which proved false.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

You were misinformed.

Probably.

I will still continue to act accordingly. But these days I don't write much in the way of reports.

19 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

How about I have enough grey matter to write a short, concise sentence to convey my thoughts vs. the guy who thinks his long rambling page of thoughts is of importance. You're not alone here thinking like that. You'll fit right in.

How about having enough understanding of communication not pigeon hole responses - each thread and comment is different... the similar question could also be asked... 'why the dumbed-down oversimplified one line replies' ???

The 'one liner' responses are more often than not argumentative and facetious than someone who has taken the time to engage and enter a debate or discussion with an intelligent response. 

Some topics or replies only warrant a short response, whereas others, often require some detail to avoid ambiguity and assumptions which can lead to further debates and arguments within a thread. 

Some of the best comments are often those which cover the argument and also avoid misunderstandings which others could use for contradiction.... a comment often requires some depth to fend off the fools who cherry-pick and are deliberately obtuse to cause debate over a minor and insignificant issue often completely ignoring the bigger picture or topic at hand.

• Agree 1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:57 AM, Dolf said:

just posting crap.

You'd know all about that wouldn't you bignok?

ps. dear mods: please write a script that detects every time sparktrader/bignok/uttradit etc creates a new username and then automatically ban them 🤣

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, n00dle said:

why would anyone feel the need start a topic about how others choose to interact online? 

I think he got offended when---after he posts his usual attacks against others---others attack back. He can dish out but not take. Rather than ask a question here, he might want to ask himself why he has a need to post short quips whose sole purpose is to try to get at someone, and maybe make himself feel better.

As for length....

In the past, when people's attention lasted longer than the Higgs Boson, people wrote at length. Now, one second is the max...even for people who seem to have no life other than posting, and have posted tens of thousands of comments under numerous iterations.

Sometimes single long posts elicit thousands of replies, and isn't eyeballs what Forums are all about? Look at the recent posts under World News. Virtually every one is put up knowing there will be two virulently opposed sides to any debate, whether about trump, LGBTQ+, climate change, immigration, Israel-Palestine....the only topic missing recently is circumcision.

I appreciate that the purpose of a Forum is to make money. If somebody's post elicits a constant stream of eyeballs and responses, the Forum benefits. Nobody is going to change opinions nor change the world. We post if it entertains us. If it ceases to entertain, we leave.

There's my full page.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I think he got offended when---after he posts his usual attacks against others---others attack back. He can dish out but not take. Rather than ask a question here, he might want to ask himself why he has a need to post short quips whose sole purpose is to try to get at someone, and maybe make himself feel better.

As for length....

In the past, when people's attention lasted longer than the Higgs Boson, people wrote at length. Now, one second is the max...even for people who seem to have no life other than posting, and have posted tens of thousands of comments under numerous iterations.

Sometimes single long posts elicit thousands of replies, and isn't eyeballs what Forums are all about? Look at the recent posts under World News. Virtually every one is put up knowing there will be two virulently opposed sides to any debate, whether about trump, LGBTQ+, climate change, immigration, Israel-Palestine....the only topic missing recently is circumcision.

I appreciate that the purpose of a Forum is to make money. If somebody's post elicits a constant stream of eyeballs and responses, the Forum benefits. Nobody is going to change opinions nor change the world. We post if it entertains us. If it ceases to entertain, we leave.

There's my full page.

Thank you for proving my point. Always a pleasure.

• Haha 1