Thailand gov urges bank to cut interest rate amid economic crisis

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In anticipation of the next session on April 10, the government is advocating for an urgent, unscheduled meeting to reduce the rate, citing an economic crisis.

You see, there's that word again.... CRISIS

I thought every thing was under control?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I thought everyone was doing very well here...... loads of tourists, roads rammed with trucks and coaches, condos selling well, airport being expanded. One thing that might need to be kept in check is inflation!

Someones not telling the truth.... or at least being very economical with it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, cncltd1973 said:

is the Thai government now admitting there is an economic crisis? I don't recall a headline of them stating this before

It was probably redacted swiftly.

13 hours ago, connda said:

Debase the currency in order to pay off the debt.  Study history.  It's one of the oldest tricks in the book.  It works until it doesn't.

What debt? Is that the debt they don't have but suddenly did, because they debased their currency and the cost of oil imports broke the bank?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

Will the interest rates on informal debt also be cut?

That is where most real (poor) folk borrow money.

Loan sharks are the biggest crooks.

I can't imagine Somchai the hood money lender adjusting his loan rates, just because BOT shaved 0.25% off the base rate. But I agree, that's a bigger problem to be tackled than lending to SME's.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

I can't understand why a Real Estate Tycoon/Prime Minister/Finance Minister would want lower interest rates.

If the Thai interest rate (2.5%) starts getting nearer to other countries rates, particularly the Fed (currently 5%+ but expected to drop), that will likely encourage foreign capital inflows, which will strengthen the Baht.

Many on here will be changing their tune at that point…:whistling:

Economics is a very complicated subject matter, well above my pay grade, but there might be a train of thought from the Government that an immediate drop in interest rates, further widening the gap with US rates gets them “ahead of the game” and would probably result in a weakening of the Baht.

That might be positive for some key economic sectors in Thailand, tourism, property and exports to name but three. Holding interest rates at around current levels with the Fed expected to be dropping rates throughout the year might see the interest rate gap closing and may have the opposite impact. 

2 minutes ago, realfunster said:

If the Thai interest rate (2.5%) starts getting nearer to other countries rates, particularly the Fed (currently 5%+ but expected to drop), that will likely encourage foreign capital inflows, which will strengthen the Baht.

Many on here will be changing their tune at that point…:whistling:

Economics is a very complicated subject matter, well above my pay grade, but there might be a train of thought from the Government that an immediate drop in interest rates, further widening the gap with US rates gets them “ahead of the game” and would probably result in a weakening of the Baht.

That might be positive for some key economic sectors in Thailand, tourism, property and exports to name but three. Holding interest rates at around current levels with the Fed expected to be dropping rates throughout the year might see the interest rate gap closing and may have the opposite impact. 

Higher interest rates in countries such as the US, benefit savers more but impact the less wealthy less, because loan rates tend to be fixed. Plus, there is a greater percentage of wealthy people compared to poor ones. 

I think it's reasonable to presume that a 5% base rate in the US, has equal impact to a 2.5% base rate in Thailand, because the greater impact is felt by the larger section of the economy, which is poorer people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

the same house or condo is now 30% more than a few years ago

greedy real estate pushing owners to sell at a higher rate

I see it in my moo baan and condo prices around, living just outside bangkok by a few hundred meters

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Don’t have to do that; 500M Chinese and half a dozen Indians will be coming in soon to save the day 👍

They didn't save the Chinese real estate market. Why would they do any better in Thailand?