UN finds evidence of rape on Oct. 7 and after; Israel: They tried to downplay issue

image.png

The United Nations has released a report indicating evidence of rape and sexual abuse during the October 7 Hamas onslaught against southern Israel. The report, presented by Pramila Patten, the UN special representative on sexual violence in conflict, at a press conference in New York, outlines disturbing findings based on extensive evidence-gathering efforts.

According to the 24-page report, there is "clear and convincing" information suggesting that sexual violence, including rape, sexualized torture, and other forms of abuse, was committed against hostages held in captivity by Hamas in Gaza. Moreover, there are "reasonable grounds" to believe that such violence is ongoing against those still held captive.

image.png

Patten's team conducted meetings and interviews with survivors, witnesses, first responders, and others, as well as reviewed thousands of photographic images and hours of footage of the attacks. While the report focused on events in Israel and the West Bank, due to ongoing conflict, the team did not visit Gaza.

The evidence suggests that rape and gang rape occurred in at least three locations during the October 7 attacks, including the Supernova music festival site, Kibbutz Re'im, and along Route 232. Victims were often subjected to sexual violence before being killed, with some instances involving the rape of women's corpses.

Patten also addressed allegations of sexual violence in the West Bank, including cruel and degrading treatment by Israeli security forces. However, some allegations could not be verified, and others were determined to be unfounded.

image.png

In response to the report, Israel criticized the UN for its delayed recognition of the sex crimes and accused it of silencing the issue. Israeli Ambassador Gilad Erdan condemned the UN's inaction and called for urgent action to address the atrocities.

Foreign Minister Israel Katz expressed disappointment with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres for not taking stronger measures against Hamas. Katz called for sanctions on Hamas supporters and urged Guterres to address the issue promptly.

The UN's response to the report has been met with criticism, with concerns raised about its handling of the situation and the delayed acknowledgment of the atrocities committed. Jewish and Israeli feminist groups have expressed outrage over the UN's silence on Hamas's use of sexual violence as a weapon of war.

Overall, the UN report sheds light on the disturbing reality of sexual violence during the October 7 attacks and underscores the urgent need for accountability and action to address such atrocities.

Source

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Social Media said:

According to the 24-page report, there is "clear and convincing" information suggesting that sexual violence, including rape, sexualized torture, and other forms of abuse, was committed against hostages held in captivity by Hamas in Gaza. Moreover, there are "reasonable grounds" to believe that such violence is ongoing against those still held captive.

I don't doubt that this is true, and this should make these current negotiations that reportedly include a six-week ceasefire for an exchange of about 30 of the suspected 130+ hostages and many prisoners being held by Israel more pressing. I hope the negotiations are expanded to include a PERMANENT ceasefire in exchange for ALL hostages and prisoners. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hamas can have nothing to do with governing Palestinians ever again.

I agree with that, and also hope the same happens with Zionists governing Isrealis. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Hamas is not fighting for the freedom of the Palestinian people to live in and control their own state... they are fighting to continue to rule and use the Palestinian people while they terrorize Israel... 

Can you please provide a link to the "plenty" of unprovoked instances of Israeli militants torturing, killing, "raping and sexually abusing Palestinians".  Since as you say it has happened countless times there should be "countless" links available.

Again, I agree that Hamas wants to continue to rule Palestine, but their motive is not just to "terrorize Israel." They do that as one of their tactics to drive Israelis out of what they consider to be their land. And I agree that this is not a totally acceptable tactic now, but one that has been used worldwide countless times. It's what a small group can do to a larger group that has more military might to cause chaos in their opponent's ranks.

Here are two links with the information you asked for. Both sides' "provocation" is the goal of possessing the entire territory for themselves — a one-state solution.

The first details a history of the conflict: History of the Israeli–Palestinian conflict - Wikipedia

The second speaks specifically about rape and sexual abuse by the IDF during the current events: UN experts speak out about sexual assault and mistreatment of Palestinian women and girls by IDF | The Independent

Edited by WDSmart
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, WDSmart said:

I agree that referring to Hamas militants as "freedom fighters" is controversial, but there is a thread of truth in that. They are fighting for the freedom of the Palestinian people to live in and control their own state. I now refer to them as "militants," which is defined in the online Oxford Language Dictionary as:  "favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause." That definition, by the way, also should apply to Zionists in Israel but not to all of the IDF.

There are plenty of instances of Israeli militants torturing, killing, "raping and sexually abusing Palestinians."  This has happened countless times over the past 80 years. However, I've never read about a single instance as directed and horrific as the Hamas Oct 7 terrorist attack.

Argentina, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Paraguay, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union have designated Hamas as a terrorist organization for a reason, period.

The poster also lied about what the report said. Period. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Argentina, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Paraguay, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union have designated Hamas as a terrorist organization for a reason, period.

I refer to Hamas as a "militant organization." They do use terrorist tactics. So does Israel from time to time, but I don't refer to the IDF as "terrorists." Period.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, WDSmart said:

Actually, I think it is you that is in an "alternative reality." For some reason, you think all this is black and white, and you think Israel is always on the right side, doing the right thing, and never, ever doing anything wrong. That is DEFINITELY an "alternative reality." 😞 
Israel and state-sponsored terrorism - Wikipedia

Why? I deal with the facts:

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why? I deal with the facts:

33 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You only deal with the "facts" that support your alternative reality...

"Countries that have condemned Israel's role as a perpetrator of state-sponsored terrorism or state terrorism include Bolivia, Iran, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen."

Which list of states do you think is more in the position to know because of their own worry about the topic and their geographical location to the conflict?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
2 hours ago, WDSmart said:

I agree with that, and also hope the same happens with Zionists governing Isrealis. 

Silly post.

No Zionism means no Israel.

Duh.

"No Zionism" means the possibility of a permanent ceasefire, a return of all hostages, a release of all prisoners, and, most importantly, negotiations to establish a two-state solution. That would not mean "no Israel." That would also not mean "no Palestine." That would mean each group could live in and control their own state. 

It would also have to include "No Hamas" also. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

No it doesn't. Israel exists. Job done, the zionists should have packed up their racism and ridden off into the sunset 70 years ago.

No, Zionism is alive and well. One of the most prominent examples of this is Israel's PM, Netanyahu. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:
5 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

No, Zionism is alive and well. One of the most prominent examples of this is Israel's PM, Netanyahu. 

I edited my post. This is off topic.

I don't know how Zionism and Hamas could be "off topic" in any discussion concerning atrocities committed during the war in Gaza. The goals and tactics of both Zionism and Hamas have led to the commission of these.

18 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

"Countries that have condemned Israel's role as a perpetrator of state-sponsored terrorism or state terrorism include Bolivia, Iran, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen."

Which list of states do you think is more in the position to know because of their own worry about the topic and their geographical location to the conflict?

Wrong. Read my post again and stop making things up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:
23 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

Expand  

Wrong. Read my post again and stop making things up.

I reread your post. I think my response was appropriate.

If by "making things up," you mean "expressing my opinion" or "drawing my own conclusions," I will have to warn you that I will not stop doing that.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

"No Zionism" means the possibility of a permanent ceasefire, a return of all hostages, a release of all prisoners, and, most importantly, negotiations to establish a two-state solution. That would not mean "no Israel." That would also not mean "no Palestine." That would mean each group could live in and control their own state. 

It would also have to include "No Hamas" also. 

You don't know what Zionism is.

• Like 1