How smart are you really?

We're always hearing pretensions to superior Authority on the forum to support unsubstantiated assertions.

No, you don't get a pass for writing stupid posts, sorry. Just the other day you were falsely claiming that the minimum price of a coffee in Starbucks is 150-155 baht, based solely on what you usually order. Whoops.

We'll continue to demand evidence and logical reason, unless we're just enjoying one of our favorite silly bashes.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I came from a trade background doing the work first so actually understood it better doing the engineering degree. Many other engineer peers found it hard to understand the actual work required and many PHD's never did

Yeeeh, riiiight, according to you...............🤭

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

What you did for a living has nothing to do with your take on a subject. I mean, if you were that good, how did you end up in LOS.........:whistling:

I had a mate who was a senior manager at Chevron. Met his executive secretary and married her. She lived at Sri Racha, so bought a condo in Pattaya

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

I had a mate who was a senior manager at Chevron. Met his executive secretary and married her. She lived at Sri Racha, so bought a condo in Pattaya

That's great.................🙄................:coffee1:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I was pretty average at school probably because my "poor uneducated" parents never made me do homework. I also cruised through my air force apprenticeship just doing what I had to because I didn't know better.

Then went to uni on engineering degree and recieved best student of the year, then got Golden Key Honours Society for supposedly best 15% of academic performance on the planet. Then got Masters degree and retired rich at 52

Now I'm posting on a forum that other posters continue to say my comments suck. I give up as to why so many people are supposedly now smarter than me?

Could be achohol related...

Life's a bit like a car race..some lay rubber and get out in front rapidly jostling for the lead, ramming into each other, crashing out, whilst others slowly work their way through the field and with a quick pit stop blitz the remainder, crossing the line with clean air.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, VinnieK said:

In my books, everyone is stupid except a tiny minority of ppl.

I have particular contempt for Academia.

Your statement speaks volumes as the expression goes.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I was pretty average at school probably because my "poor uneducated" parents never made me do homework. I also cruised through my air force apprenticeship just doing what I had to because I didn't know better.

Then went to uni on engineering degree and recieved best student of the year, then got Golden Key Honours Society for supposedly best 15% of academic performance on the planet. Then got Masters degree and retired rich at 52

Now I'm posting on a forum that other posters continue to say my comments suck. I give up as to why so many people are supposedly now smarter than me?

You didn't know that French passports have addresses on the photo page and you didn't look it up before replying to the French chap who mentioned it the other day, so you can't be that smart.

Also, not many people like a FIGJAM.

7 hours ago, cdemundo said:

You are justly proud of your achievements.

Sincere congratulations.

But intelligent people can disagree with each other, of course the less intelligent and the uninformed also have opinions.

Disagreements of all kinds occur on AN and lot of posters here are pig ignorant and proud of it.

Hence the ignore function which I have used liberally.

I have found that one of the most useful functions of AN for me is to show me what kind of behavior and attitudes to avoid.

To many of the posters here the saying applies: "You're not completely useless, you can always serve as a bad example".

Wow! Smug, snobby and supercilious in one post.

Got many friends?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

You didn't know that French passports have addresses on the photo page and you didn't look it up before replying to the French chap who mentioned it the other day, so you can't be that smart.

Ah so he's not as clever as he thinks he is then.

A bit like Jacob Rees Mogg.

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

This proves my point, being attacked for making a very tame post where I questioned address being on a passport. Look below at my tame post and then when the OP actually thanked me for my post as my comments seemed to help him answer his thread title question

On 3/4/2024 at 1:52 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Why would any passport have a residential address of friends in Thailand like you say? I thought Passport normally has city of birth and city issued only?

As I understand it you can only apply for an e-visa in the country you are currently staying in, so it would be that address where you currently stay

On 3/4/2024 at 2:57 PM, anotherfarangishere said:

Thank you for your comment.

French passport have and have always had your address.

The form ask for a home address. It's not inside the group TRAVEL DOCUMENT where you must complete information of your passport, it's in the group ADDRESS INFORMATION.

They also ask: "Is your permanent address same as your current address?" I'm in Korea, so I answered no and gave my actual address in Korea.

Edited by Pattaya57

8 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

retired rich at 52

What took you so long , I did it at 42 , without a masters degree  and I need google to help

me spell correctly , but I am good with numbers ,there's smart and there's smart ,you may

have one... I have the other....

regards worgeorgdie

20 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

This proves my point, being attacked for making a very tame post where I questioned address being  on a passport. Look below at my tame post and then when the OP actually thanked me for my post as my comments seemed to help him

I didn't "attack" you, I simply provided an example of why you're not as smart as you claim to be. You didn't prove your point with the above reply, if anything you've made your detractors' case for them.

• Confused 1

anyone that thinks money has any relevance on intelligence is at the far end of the spectrum
i remember the first test the nation they done in UK
and there was a distinct pattern between those on high salaries and I.Q.
however this topic is titled "how smart" so does not mean it refers to intelligence
there are highly educated "smart" people that are dumb as door nails
there are very knowledgeable "smart" people that cannot figure out how to change a lightbulb
and there are very rich people whose answer to everything is pay someone else
money, education, degrees, even vast knowledge do not determine intelligence 
so thinking you are intelligent, solely for having any of these is just dumb

Edited by patman30
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

What is achohol? Please enlighten we in the lower orders Einstein?

16 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

What took you so long , I did it at 42 , without a masters degree  and I need google to help

me spell correctly , but I am good with numbers ,there's smart and there's smart ,you may

have one... I have the other....

regards worgeorgdie

I lived at a place we called "Club 42" in my twenty's. We followed the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy as the meaning of life was 42. Well done to retire at the right age 😀

There's smart as in John von Neumann, Richard Feynman, Carl Friedrich Gauss, Paul Dirac, Leonhard Euler, James Clerk Maxwell, etc......and then there's everybody else. Be happy with the intellect dumb luck gave you. They are the outliers; we're the wretched rabble.

Of course it makes life much easier if one can be a couple std devs right of the mean on the IQ Bell Curve, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee a good life or a place in the history books.

Often---even in this thread---someone will chime in that "I've worked with geniuses who had no common sense". I never found that to be the case. There might be exceptions who stand out, but decent brains tend to translate to every aspect of life, even the proverbial form of intelligence known as 'street smarts'. Intellect is a combination of ability to learn and conceptualize, plus an overall general awareness.

Ideally, one is smart enough to be happy and relish this precious short term chance at existence.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Pattaya57 said:

I lived at a place we called "Club 42" in my twenty's. We followed the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy as the meaning of life was 42. Well done to retire at the right age 😀

I think it is boring to retire early, I retired a bit early, I think I would have been better off working if my situation had been a bit different....😛

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Dolf said:

We are all heading for the dirt pit. Just enjoy life.

All heading for the dirt pit? Not me, I'm going to hell in a hand cart😈

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, transam said:

I think it is boring to retire early, I retired a bit early, I think I would have been better off working if my situation had been a bit different....😛

Retiring early for me meant I lost a huge network of friends and routine. I think now only retire if you hate your job, doesn't matter how much $ you have

Edited by Pattaya57

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Book smart, reading and retaining knowledge doesnt make you a "nice" person in the process. It simply means you can retain knowledge. Life experience or "street smart" is another form of intelligence.

People think that because they speak the same language they are understood, which is not always true, how people perceive what you have said may not be your intent, you cant know what their perception is going to to be hence we get misunderstandings or "taken the wrong way".To say nothing of IQ level that they have clue what your on about, people assume they do.

As Forrest said " life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you gonna get" and thats true of people until you start interacting with them and figure them out.

I read this somewhere, and find it so true...“Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.” 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1