Non B to Non O Issue / Advice

Hi,

I have been in Thailand for 28 years, always employed, married for 15 years. My situation: I am leaving my job on 9th April and will have my visa and WP canceled but will have 21 days extension to leave (as a BOI company), meaning April 30th I have to be gone.

I know how to transfer a non B to a non O, however as I have school fees and mortgage I haven't maintained a solid 400k for two months. I will have a lump sum coming in to Thailand on 16th April which will cover me for a long time but it needs to seed for two months before I can apply for non O (so let's say 16th June is when it will be properly seeded).

So what is the best thing to do between April 30th and June 16th? Can I go out and come back on 30 day exempt and do a 30 day extension? Will this be questionable as I have lived here for so long? And can a visa exempt be converted to non O in country?

Or do I leave and come back on a 60 day tourist visa? Same questions apply as to whether it looks suspect and if it can be converted in country.

Finally, I read Atomphuket's really helpful thread about Savannakhet. It seems they will dish out a one year multiple entry non O without seeding the money for two months. Can anyone confirm this is absolutely correct? I will have the money in the bank, no problem, just not two months' seeded. I would hate to go all that way for the seeding to be an issue.

Any advice gratefully accepted. I have never had to worry about this stuff for 28 years....

Sorry, I don't know all the answers to all your questions. But what I can tell you is that when I was on a B visa with work permit that I was told I couldn't converted to an O visa when I retired. So I left the country, flew to KL and flew back to Thailand the same day. I came back in on the visa exempt 30 day, then I applied for the O visa at immigration within two weeks of entering in on the visa exempt. Then immigration gave me either a 60 or 90 extension (can't remember exactly what it was) and they processed my O visa application. No problem at all that I was on a B visa before, exited and recentered on a visa exempt 30 day and then applied for the O. Hope that helps. 

11 minutes ago, TylerBKK said:

Sorry, I don't know all the answers to all your questions. But what I can tell you is that when I was on a B visa with work permit that I was told I couldn't converted to an O visa when I retired. So I left the country, flew to KL and flew back to Thailand the same day. I came back in on the visa exempt 30 day, then I applied for the O visa at immigration within two weeks of entering in on the visa exempt. Then immigration gave me either a 60 or 90 extension (can't remember exactly what it was) and they processed my O visa application. No problem at all that I was on a B visa before, exited and recentered on a visa exempt 30 day and then applied for the O. Hope that helps. 

Thanks Tyler for the reply. That does offer some reassurance on some levels that I should be able to go straight out and come back on a 30 day exempt. I will need to extend that exemption for another 30 days by which time my money will be "seasoned" enough to apply for an O.

How long were you on B's before that?

I think the best thing to do (from memory) is to go to immigration within the first 2 weeks after entering Thailand on the 30 day visa exempt and then apply for the 90 day visa extension on the basis of an O visa. I think maybe there was an issue (with waiting longer than 2 weeks into the 30 day period after you arrive on the visa exempt to apply) but I can't remember exactly what it was. But the sooner you apply for the 90 day O visa extension after arrival the better I think. I am not sure about extending the 30 day visa exempt though for another 30 days before applying for the 90 day O visa extension. Ubonjoe was really the best person for all of these fine details, but unfortunately he is no longer with us. I was also on various B visas in the past, but I think the last one I was on before I switched to the O visa was for about 5-6 years. After some digging through some old Ubonjoe posts, I found an old 3 page discussion from 2017 which may cover some of the details you are wondering about. I would suggest reading Ubonjoe's replies in the discussion linked below and maybe it can answer some more of your questions:

I just found the information below posted by JackThompson on the second page in the topic I linked above. This confirms my point about needing to apply for the 90 day visa within 2 weeks after arrival back in Thailand on the 30 day exempt visa because they wont give the 90 day extension for some reason if you have less than 15 days left on your 30 day exempt visa apparently. I don't know if this has changed though or not since when this post was made in 2017. Also, if you are not in Bangkok you might even have less time to apply. I don't know how this is all going to fit in with your need to wait another 30 days first.

Just a heads-up, and I advise applying for the Conversion as soon as possible, so as to have plenty of time to handle any surprises.  The application must be accepted while you still have 15 days left on your current permit-of-stay (but 21 days in-advance is reported required in Chang Mai - as one example of arbitrary rule-variations you may encounter).

Before you leave the country to reenter on the visa exempt, you should cancel your visa and work permit first with immigration and return your work permit to the labor department. To do that I think you need to get a letter from your employer stating your employment end date. Maybe your employer can do that for your. And then I think Immigration will give you a short period of time to leave the country after that.

As already posted you'll have to leave Thailand and obtain a Non Imm O visa first, before proceeded to apply for a 1-year extension based on Thai spouse.

You have a number of options:

1. Re-enter visa exempt will grant a stay of 30 days, which you can extend for a further 30 days and an additional extension of 60 days to visit Thai spouse.
You can then apply for the Non O status at local Immigration but have at least 15 days permission of stay remaining (21 days at certain IO's).

For the Non O based on Thai spouse application, the 400K funds are only required to be in the bank on the day of application.
Procedure here: VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

The 400K THB is only required to be on deposit in a Thai bank account, your sole name, for 2 months prior to submitting the 1 year extension application.

2. Perhaps simpler, apply for the single entry Non Imm O visa from the Thai Consulate in Savannahket.
No proof of funds required for the single entry.
On entry, you will be granted a stay of 90 days, which can be further extended by 60 days to visit Thai wife.
You can then directly apply for the 1-year extension based on Thai spouse as soon as your 400K funds have seasoned for 2 months.

It may assist if you post at which IO you use in case of abnormalities due to being a rogue office.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

As already posted you'll have to leave Thailand and obtain a Non Imm O visa first, before proceeded to apply for a 1-year extension based on Thai spouse.

1. Re-enter visa exempt will grant a stay of 30 days, which you can extend for a further 30 days and an additional extension of 60 days to visit Thai spouse.
You can then apply for the Non O status at local Immigration but have at least 15 days permission of stay remaining (21 days at certain IO's).

For the Non O based on Thai spouse application, the 400K funds are only required to be in the bank on the day of application.

The 400K THB is only required to be on deposit in a Thai bank account, your sole name, for 2 months prior to submitting the 1 year extension application.

2. Perhaps simpler, apply for the single entry Non Imm O visa from the Thai Consulate in Savannahket.
On entry, you will be granted a stay of 90 days, which can be further extended by 60 days to visit Thai wife.
You can then directly apply for the 1-year extension based on Thai spouse as soon as your 400K funds have seasoned for 2 months.

It may assist if you post at which IO you use in case of abnormalities due to being a rogue office.

That’s good information. I think your post will be more useful for him because my posts were based on retirement visa and your post is based on marriage to a Thai citizen, which is what he needs. 

• Thanks 1

I keep seeing conflicting information. People claiming impossible, and other people claiming it is possible.

Office: Bangkok Chaeng Watana

Currently on non-b (work permit teaching) 63 year old American. 

Can it be converted no non-o (TM-7 reason retirement) in-country?

I have copy of passport, TM 30, 90-day, pictures.

I am hoping when the school takes me to immigration to update my status, I can immediately apply for a non-o (reason for retirement)

If I have to leave the country, do I renter on: Visa on Arrial, tourist Visa, on-O visa?

Transfer of 800,000 Baht from America in process (using Wise).  Marked the category - For Long-Term-Visa.

25 minutes ago, brianp0803 said:

I keep seeing conflicting information. People claiming impossible, and other people claiming it is possible.

Office: Bangkok Chaeng Watana

Currently on non-b (work permit teaching) 63 year old American. 

Can it be converted no non-o (TM-7 reason retirement) in-country?

I have copy of passport, TM 30, 90-day, pictures.

I am hoping when the school takes me to immigration to update my status, I can immediately apply for a non-o (reason for retirement)

If I have to leave the country, do I renter on: Visa on Arrial, tourist Visa, on-O visa?

Transfer of 800,000 Baht from America in process (using Wise).  Marked the category - For Long-Term-Visa.

It has all been covered above already. 

Cannot convert B visa to O visa in Thailand. Must leave country after visa and work permit are cancelled. 

Easiest thing is fly to Singapore or Malaysia and return to Thailand on same day. Reenter Thailand on 30 day visa exempt. 

Then start the process of applying for O visa within 14 days after returning to Thailand. You will get a 90 day O visa from immigration to begin with and then can extend it to one year. 

Read the 3 page link posted above (4th post from the top). Post is from 2017 and read all replies containing the responses from Ubonjoe. That will give you all the steps you need to follow and in detail. 

On 3/5/2024 at 6:49 AM, josephbloggs said:

Hi,

I have been in Thailand for 28 years, always employed, married for 15 years. My situation: I am leaving my job on 9th April and will have my visa and WP canceled but will have 21 days extension to leave (as a BOI company), meaning April 30th I have to be gone.

I know how to transfer a non B to a non O, however as I have school fees and mortgage I haven't maintained a solid 400k for two months. I will have a lump sum coming in to Thailand on 16th April which will cover me for a long time but it needs to seed for two months before I can apply for non O (so let's say 16th June is when it will be properly seeded).

So what is the best thing to do between April 30th and June 16th? Can I go out and come back on 30 day exempt and do a 30 day extension? Will this be questionable as I have lived here for so long? And can a visa exempt be converted to non O in country?

Or do I leave and come back on a 60 day tourist visa? Same questions apply as to whether it looks suspect and if it can be converted in country.

Finally, I read Atomphuket's really helpful thread about Savannakhet. It seems they will dish out a one year multiple entry non O without seeding the money for two months. Can anyone confirm this is absolutely correct? I will have the money in the bank, no problem, just not two months' seeded. I would hate to go all that way for the seeding to be an issue.

Any advice gratefully accepted. I have never had to worry about this stuff for 28 years....

You should check if you can get a 60-days extension for being married to a Thai, which will be enough to mature your 400k deposit.

It's not you visa you transfer from non-B to non-O – your visa has expired – it's the reason for extension of stay, which you change from business/work to retirement.

On 3/5/2024 at 6:20 PM, TylerBKK said:

I think the best thing to do (from memory) is to go to immigration within the first 2 weeks after entering Thailand on the 30 day visa exempt and then apply for the 90 day visa extension on the basis of an O visa. I think maybe there was an issue (with waiting longer than 2 weeks into the 30 day period after you arrive on the visa exempt to apply) but I can't remember exactly what it was. But the sooner you apply for the 90 day O visa extension after arrival the better I think. I am not sure about extending the 30 day visa exempt though for another 30 days before applying for the 90 day O visa extension. Ubonjoe was really the best person for all of these fine details, but unfortunately he is no longer with us. I was also on various B visas in the past, but I think the last one I was on before I switched to the O visa was for about 5-6 years. After some digging through some old Ubonjoe posts, I found an old 3 page discussion from 2017 which may cover some of the details you are wondering about. I would suggest reading Ubonjoe's replies in the discussion linked below and maybe it can answer some more of your questions:

Thank you. I will read through that thread and yes, UbonJoe is sorely missed - a truly wonderful, knowledgable and helpful man. RIP.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/5/2024 at 6:47 PM, TylerBKK said:

I just found the information below posted by JackThompson on the second page in the topic I linked above. This confirms my point about needing to apply for the 90 day visa within 2 weeks after arrival back in Thailand on the 30 day exempt visa because they wont give the 90 day extension for some reason if you have less than 15 days left on your 30 day exempt visa apparently. I don't know if this has changed though or not since when this post was made in 2017. Also, if you are not in Bangkok you might even have less time to apply. I don't know how this is all going to fit in with your need to wait another 30 days first.

Thanks. If I leave on 30th April, come back with 30 days, then get a 30 day extension, I should be able to apply when I have 15 days left on my extension as my money will have just about have been seasoned for the necessary time by then.......but it will be close.

On 3/5/2024 at 8:05 PM, ABCDBKK said:

Before you leave the country to reenter on the visa exempt, you should cancel your visa and work permit first with immigration and return your work permit to the labor department. To do that I think you need to get a letter from your employer stating your employment end date. Maybe your employer can do that for your. And then I think Immigration will give you a short period of time to leave the country after that.

Yes thanks, that's all in hand. I will go with my emplyer to cancel visa and work permit (it's a digital WP so nothing to hand back) on 9th April then I will get a 21 day extension to leave the country.

On 3/5/2024 at 8:37 PM, Liquorice said:

Ths is great information, thank you. So I can leave, get a 90 day non O with no proof of funds, re-enter, and when my money is seasoned for two months I can apply for the one year extension of stay at CW. This sounds ideal. Is Savannahket the only option for this or is it the same at any consulate/embassy? It would be preferable to go somewhere easier to get to that I can fly directly, but if it is only Savannahket then so be it.

Thanks again.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:47 PM, khunPer said:

You should check if you can get a 60-days extension for being married to a Thai, which will be enough to mature your 400k deposit.

It's not you visa you transfer from non-B to non-O – your visa has expired – it's the reason for extension of stay, which you change from business/work to retirement.

Thank you, I will check on this. And yes, it's not a visa, it's an extension of stay, my fingers just automatically type "visa" and my brain sometimes forgets to override them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Is Savannahket the only option for this or is it the same at any consulate/embassy? It would be preferable to go somewhere easier to get to that I can fly directly, but if it is only Savannahket then so be it.

To the best of my knowledge, Savannahket is the only local Consulate that will issue the single entry 90 day Non Imm O visa based on Thai spouse WITHOUT any proof of funds.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:47 PM, khunPer said:

Immigration will not allow you to change the reason of the extension to Thai spouse or retirement when you entered with a visa specifically for the purpose of business/employment.
Just as they won't allow you to change the reason to Thai spouse when you enter on a Non Imm O-A visa, which is specifically for retirement.
They'll tell you to go out and obtain a Non O first.

There is no written procedure to change your visa status from type B to type O.
https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/issuing-and-changing-type-of-visa/

Edited by Liquorice

29 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Immigration will not allow you to change the reason of the extension to Thai spouse or retirement when you entered with a visa specifically for the purpose of business/employment.
Just as they won't allow you to change the reason to Thai spouse when you enter on a Non Imm O-A visa, which is specifically for retirement.
They'll tell you to go out and obtain a Non O first.

There is no written procedure to change your visa status from type B to type O.
https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/issuing-and-changing-type-of-visa/

Non O-A is a different and special so-called "retirement visa" by some Thai embassies, it's valid for 12 month with 12 months stay on each entry.

It's possible to stay as retiree in Thailand after work – which OP also is aware of, and it's not his question – please read answers in this ASEAN NOW-thread...

On 3/5/2024 at 4:42 PM, josephbloggs said:

Thanks Tyler for the reply. That does offer some reassurance on some levels that I should be able to go straight out and come back on a 30 day exempt. I will need to extend that exemption for another 30 days by which time my money will be "seasoned" enough to apply for an O.

If applying for an in country non-o the money does not need to be seasoned

7 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

If applying for an in country non-o the money does not need to be seasoned

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Is that definitely true? My company called and checked with immigration and they specifically mention two months.

bigt3116 means if you left the Country then rentered visa exempt, choosing to apply for the Non Imm O at local Immigration (rather than a Thai Embsaay/Consulate), the only financial requirement is that the 400K must be in a Thai bank account only on the day of application.

Procedure and requirements for Non O as I previously posted;   VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

The requirement for the 400K to be seasoned in a Thai bank account for 2 months only applies to the application for the 1-year extension of stay.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Thank you. I will read through that thread and yes, UbonJoe is sorely missed - a truly wonderful, knowledgable and helpful man. RIP.

Your welcome. Wishing you all the best in processing your family visa and hope all goes smoothly and quickly with it. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, khunPer said:

Non O-A is a different and special so-called "retirement visa"

As is the Non B, which is for Business/work.
The 'O', stands for 'other', meaning those who entered Thailand for any activity not listed in 1-14 of section 34 of the Immigration Act.

Section 34 : aliens entering into the kingdom for a temporary stay may enter for the below listed activities ;

1. Diplomatic or Consular Missions.

2. Performance of official duties.

3. Touring

4. Sporting

5. Business

6. Investing under the concurrence of the Ministries and Departments concerned.

7. Investing or other activities relating to investing subject to the provisions of the law on investment promotion.

8. Transit journey.

9. Being the person in charge of the crew of a conveyance coming to port, station , or area in the Kingdom.

10. Study or observation.

11. Mass media.

12. Missionary work under the concurrence of the Ministries and departments concerned.

13. Scientific research or training or teach in a Research Institute in the Kingdom.

14. The practice of skilled handicraft or as a specialist

15. Other activities as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations

The OP can ask, no harm in trying, but in my experience from those I know who were teachers on a Non B, then retired, Immigration stated they couldn't change the 'reason' for an extension until they ended their current permission of stay by leaving the Country and obtaining a Non O, the purpose being Thai spouse/family and retirement.

In fairness, I have previously read reports of those successfully changing the 'reason' of their extension to retirement when they entered on a Non B visa, but not since 2019 when Big Joke stuck his nose in and made a few changes to the then existing Immigration orders. Since that time the consensus of Immigration has been if you want to apply to extend your stay based on retirement, then get the correct visa type. That being the Non Imm O, although Immigration orders still simply state Non Immigrant status.

Edited by Liquorice

16 hours ago, Liquorice said:

As is the Non B, which is for Business/work.
The 'O', stands for 'other', meaning those who entered Thailand for any activity not listed in 1-14 of section 34 of the Immigration Act.

Section 34 : aliens entering into the kingdom for a temporary stay may enter for the below listed activities ;

1. Diplomatic or Consular Missions.

2. Performance of official duties.

3. Touring

4. Sporting

5. Business

6. Investing under the concurrence of the Ministries and Departments concerned.

7. Investing or other activities relating to investing subject to the provisions of the law on investment promotion.

8. Transit journey.

9. Being the person in charge of the crew of a conveyance coming to port, station , or area in the Kingdom.

10. Study or observation.

11. Mass media.

12. Missionary work under the concurrence of the Ministries and departments concerned.

13. Scientific research or training or teach in a Research Institute in the Kingdom.

14. The practice of skilled handicraft or as a specialist

15. Other activities as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations

The OP can ask, no harm in trying, but in my experience from those I know who were teachers on a Non B, then retired, Immigration stated they couldn't change the 'reason' for an extension until they ended their current permission of stay by leaving the Country and obtaining a Non O, the purpose being Thai spouse/family and retirement.

In fairness, I have previously read reports of those successfully changing the 'reason' of their extension to retirement when they entered on a Non B visa, but not since 2019 when Big Joke stuck his nose in and made a few changes to the then existing Immigration orders. Since that time the consensus of Immigration has been if you want to apply to extend your stay based on retirement, then get the correct visa type. That being the Non Imm O, although Immigration orders still simply state Non Immigrant status.

However, the link I gave you about successfully change of extension of stay is to a recent tread from 2023...:whistling:

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

However, the link I gave you about successfully change of extension of stay is to a recent tread from 2023...:whistling:

You need to read the whole thread you quoted.

The OP of that thread (scoutman360) was not successful, he stated he was refused an extension based on retirement, and told he must exit the Country and obtain a Non O at CW.

Page 2, posted Wednesday 6th March.

Update. I followed all your instructions. Employer canceled my current extension. Then I was given permission to stay until last day of employment.

But today at CW when I got to the document check station, I was refused an extension based on retirement. When I explained my intension was to change from "extension based on employment" to "retirement", I was told CANNOT. I must leave the country, enter on VISA exempt, and apply for Non-O. Another officer standing at the desk agreed. Nothing wrong with my paperwork. They said I needed to leave the country then reapply for a Non-O. How is it I was told this if others have successfully done it?

Exactly as I've been saying!

20 hours ago, Liquorice said:

You need to read the whole thread you quoted.

The OP of that thread (scoutman360) was not successful, he stated he was refused an extension based on retirement, and told he must exit the Country and obtain a Non O at CW.

Page 2, posted Wednesday 6th March.

Exactly as I've been saying!

And many others have done it successfully, when reading the thread.

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

And many others have done it successfully, when reading the thread.

Others claiming it can be done and in the past as I noticed perhaps, but since 2019/2020 Immigration have been insisting you need to have a Non Immigrant status from a Non O type visa.
There is no written procedure to change from a Non B to Non O at Immigration, the options being to leave and obtain a Non Imm O, or re-enter VE then apply for the change to Non O at Immigration.

Police orders though are ambiguous simply stating Non Imm visa, with no specific type mentioned, so it may have been at their discretion previously, but the goalposts appear to have moved again.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:06 PM, TylerBKK said:

Cannot convert B visa to O visa in Thailand. Must leave country after visa and work permit are cancelled.

I did it.

Then, I converted back again a couple years later. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 12:49 PM, josephbloggs said:

Hi,

Thought I should come back and update this for anyone it might help. I just received a 90 day, single entry non O from the embassy in Vientiane. Applied on Tuesday morning, received this afternoon, and fly back tonight. I had my marriage certificate, wife's Tabien bahn, passport, and ID copies. Also a print out from my bank. They gave the documents a cursory glance and didn't even ask to see the originals although I had them with me. 

I did have more than 400k in the bank but it had only been there a week and that was clear on my statement. They obviously do not need you to seed the money for two months. Visa fee was 2,000 baht.

So I head back to Bangkok tonight then maybe in a couple of months will do the trudge to CW to get a 12 month extension of stay as by that time my money will have seeded for the appropriate time.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who offered help and suggestions.