My blood test shows high Cholesterol – Looking for advice - Drugs / Diet .

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Given that the most recent creatnine level was normal there is no hurry.

Indeed if on next tesf it is also normal (make dure you sre adequately hydrated!) then no need to see one at all.

Thanks Sheryl

Its going to be interesting to see the blood test results from the coming blood test at the  Suranaree University of Technology (SUT) Hospital in Korat on the 28th of May 2024.

I will post those blood test results here. 

Tom

6 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Thanks Sheryl

Its going to be interesting to see the blood test results from the coming blood test at the  Suranaree University of Technology (SUT) Hospital in Korat on the 28th of May 2024.

I will post those blood test results here. 

Tom

As mentioned, maje sure to be (normally) hydrated on day of test. You can drink plain water after midnight while otherwise fasting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As mentioned, maje sure to be (normally) hydrated on day of test. You can drink plain water after midnight while otherwise fasting. 

Thanks again Sheryl

I want to post some thing in a new topic about recommended / suggested types of foods , snacks and drinks that people who have high Cholesterol eat and drink , but I'm not sure where to post that type of subject .

Tom

33 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Thanks again Sheryl

I want to post some thing in a new topic about recommended / suggested types of foods , snacks and drinks that people who have high Cholesterol eat and drink , but I'm not sure where to post that type of subject .

Tom

You can do it in this same forum.  But be prerpared for lots of misinformation and quackery (as has already ocurred on this thread). 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have not read all the replies so sorry if this has been mentioned already

Things I found interesting in my own searches about cholesterol

Regular statins like those mentioned here efficacy is 85% benefit at 25% dosage

Once this is realized folks can avoid many of the side effect/complaints many have for statins

Which is why many informed doctors now reduce statins dosage to 10-20 daily doses & sometimes even every other day

compared to much higher doses previously

ApoB which can easily be checked in Thailand is a better indicator than LDL

This is a simple video on ApoB

I do not know if you folks have these drugs in Thailand & they can be expensive but are better than Statins & considered "Pro Drugs"

Because they do not affect your whole body but instead target liver

Things like

PCSK9 Inhibitors like Repatha or Praluent a 2x a month self administered injection slashes ApoB / LDL to very low levels

Also other new drugs like Ezetimibe lowers LDL 13-20%  & Bempedoic Acid

Nexlizet is a drug that combines Ezetimibe & Bempedoic

The newest drug is called Inclisiran & is a twice yearly shot that silences PCSK9 gene in the liver

In any case I highly recommend videos by Peter Attia

Also check his other videos on diet, longevity.. etc

Also as some have said diet does help but for many myself included it still may not be enough.

I am plant based no oils except a tiny amount of extra virgin olive oil, no dairy, no sugar & yet my LDL is still 100-124 I may be starting PCSK9 next month

I also am a life long endurance athlete which you would think is great but at the same time many of us endurance types have high CAC scores because after all heavy exercise is a form of inflammation to your heart at extreme levels too & causes calcium.

BUT.... about CAC scores IMO they are pretty useless as they do not differentiate between calcium inside the artery or outside. But they tend to alarm folks right away. Better instead to acknowledge it & follow up in many directions. Checking ApoB, Doing Duplex Ultrasound checks of carotid, aorta,legs etc

This is a Good Peter Attia video on the subject

Edited by mania
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Paul9989 said:

And then there are additional cancer screenings using simple blood tests which can be done every couple of years:

AFP Test - Liver & Testicle Cancer 

CEA Test - Large Intestine & Rectum Cancer

CA 19-9 Test - Pancreas Cancer 

None of the above tests are suitable for screening purposes  and no public health authority recommends them. They are highly nonspecific and often elevated for reasons other than cancer. The misuse of these tests for screening (common in Thai private hospital check up packages) leads to a lot of other unnecessary tests.

For colorectal cancer, colonoscopy is highly effective not only for early cancer detection but also prevention as pre-cancerous polyps can be removed during the procedure.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

None of the above tests are suitable for screening purposes  and no public health authority recommends them. They are highly nonspecific and often elevated for reasons other than cancer. The misuse of these tests for screening (common in Thai private hospital check up packages) leads to a lot of other unnecessary tests.

For colorectal cancer, colonoscopy is highly effective not only for early cancer detection but also prevention as pre-cancerous polyps can be removed during the procedure.

I disagree. The tests are useful to create a baseline. So, if test results suddenly change from one year to the next, then it could be a sign of something more serious. Just like the PSA test that sometimes indicates a false positive for prostate cancer, but still considered a useful screening test. Although sometimes considered nonspecific, all of them can also be very specific, which is why they are still considered useful. 

Yes, a colonoscopy should also be done every 5 years in men starting at the age of 45, and for the exact 2 reasons that you mentioned. But as it is a more invasive, and more costly diagnostic exam, many men often neglect to do them regularly, even though they shouldn't. 

Edited by Paul9989
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

2011. We're now in 2024. 

What's wrong with you?
If you want to be a troll then pick on something you know.

Please confirm that you are a qualified medical professional or not, so that people can decide whether to take any notice.

When I said god help us.
I should have said God help us when people know not what they do.

Hi Tom
Just so that you can be sure that I am not talking BS about potential liver problems and tests.
I was busy earlier, but got back to look at this for your advice, and just did a quick check online for
" when taking statins what tests are needed".  took a few minutes.

Do you know the NHS in UK? I think they are experts on health issues are they not?
See
 https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/statins/considerations/#:~:text=Before starting to take statins,and again after 12 months.

Edited by jojothai
add text

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You can do it in this same forum.  But be prerpared for lots of misinformation and quackery (as has already ocurred on this thread). 

Why do you say misinformation and quackery, Sheryl? Do you call quackery on the increasing number of MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS who are turning their back on statins as a treatment for high cholesterol?

Many of us who advocate low-carbs diet to avoid or overcome cholesterol issues base our comments on books we have read by doctors, by reading peer-reviewed studies and by following experts in this field. And when I say experts, these are doctors with decades of experience. This is an area of medicine which is evolving and what was understood in the past is being seriously questioned with many recent studies turning the research on its head.

17 hours ago, Paul9989 said:

Unfortunately that approach is seriously flawed and results in many unnecessary deaths because many serious diseases can be stopped if detected early, yet they often exhibit no systems until it has already become too late. 

Also, the other unfortunate reality is that a lot of people die from things that are unrelated to diet and lifestyle and are simply caused by a combination of aging and genetics. 

But if people have periodical blood and diagnostic testing (starting when in their mid forties) then a lot of these diseases could be detected and treated in the early stages and without resulting in death. 

The ones in particular I am referring to are Colorectal Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Kidney Failure, Glaucoma, Hypertension, and Diabetes. 

Some of them like hypertension, kidney failure and diabetes can be brought on by lifestyle too. But often they are also genetic. And many times the genetic markers don’t show up until middle age. 

And glaucoma (interocular hypertension) can result in blindness in less than 10 years if left untreated. Left untested and undetected it can go unnoticed by a person until they are already half blind, but could be fully avoided by having a simple 1 minute eye pressure test done annually. 

And then there are additional cancer screenings using simple blood tests which can be done every couple of years:

AFP Test - Liver & Testicle Cancer 

CEA Test - Large Intestine & Rectum Cancer

CA 19-9 Test - Pancreas Cancer 

The problem with the majority of these diseases, if left undetected by blood tests and diagnostic screening, is that they show no signs of illness until they are in the final stages and become no longer treatable as I mentioned earlier. So there would possibly be a large drop in mortality rates from all of these diseases if people around the world simply started screening for them from age 40-45 onwards. 

You neglected to read the part about both the OP and I are in our 70's... most tests at that age are no longer recommended by doctors... try to stay on topic.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/7/2024 at 11:23 PM, tomgreen said:

So over time I have had 3 blood tests all at the same Thai hospital ( different doctors ) 

1. Blood test was on 12th December 2022       ( A ) 
2. Blood test was on 19th of September 2023  ( B ) 
3. Blood test was on 5th of March 2024           ( C ) 

The first blood test done on 12th December 2022 ( A ) showed that I had high numbers in several areas , so the hospital doctor prescribed 20 mg of Atorvastatin , once a day and made a new blood test appointment for the 19th of September 2023 ( B ) .

The second Blood test was done on the 19th of September 2023 ( B ) , and the results from that blood test showed that my previous high numbers had now come down , due to me taking 20 mg of Atorvastatin , once a day . On seeing the reduced numbers in that blood test the hospital doctor said to me that I could stop taking the Atorvastatin if I wanted to , so I made the decision to completely stop taking the Atorvastatin. The hospital doctor then made a new appointment for a blood test for 5th of March 2024 ( C ) 

The Third blood test was recently done on the 5th of March 2024 ( C ) and the test results showed that my numbers had gone way back up. On seeing those blood test results the doctor prescribed 40 mg of Atorvastatin , once a day . And a new blood test appointment was made for the coming 28th of May 2024 .

The blood test results are shown as screen shots – A / B / C .

So it seems that I may have made a mistake by accepting the hospital doctors choice to stop taking the Atorvastatin on the 19th of September 2023 ( B ) when in reality I should have just continued to take the 20 mg of Atorvastatin on a daily basis . 

During all the previous times I was taking the 20 mg of Atorvastatin I did not alter my diet or life style, but the doctor who looked at my recent blood test results on the 5th of March 2024 ( C )  did say that I should look at altering my diet .I’m 74 years old , Five feet Seven inches tall , my weight is 79.1 Kg , my blood pressure is 117 / 71 / 65 , a non smoker / non alcohol drinker . I am not really physically active . ( Lazy ) 

So looking back at my past blood test results , there could now be a possibility that I may have to take the prescribed drug Atorvastatin for the rest of my life . 

I’m now wondering if any one here has had a blood test done and the results showed a high level of LDL cholesterol , and if so did you rely on drugs to lower the high  LDL cholesterol number or a combination of diet + drugs .

Any advice , suggestions or recommendations very welcome. 

Thanks - Tom 

A.jpg

B.jpeg

C.jpeg

Stop eating meat i did 43 years ago, but my dog loved it, and cut all dairy products it causes premature aging

8 hours ago, jojothai said:

What's wrong with you?
If you want to be a troll then pick on something you know.

Please confirm that you are a qualified medical professional or not, so that people can decide whether to take any notice.

When I said god help us.
I should have said God help us when people know not what they do.

😂. What do you expect? That every mechanic, builder, plummer, cleaner, aso will give proof of their qualification, in case giving profound advice here in this forum? Did you consider already to see a psychologist?😳

14 hours ago, save the frogs said:

what's a fridge test?

you can check if 2 layers form in the bottle at certain temperatures?

the fridge test is to put some EVOO in a small glass (like a shot glass) and leave it in the fridge (NOT the freezer) overnight. Real EVOO will 100% solidify. If there's any liquid still on the surface then it's fake. In other words it has other oils such as canola oil palm oil etc mixed in.

If you get 2 layers in the bottle as per your comment, then it is most likely fake.

A question about frequency of taking Atorvastatin. I am on 10 mg per day, but hospital can only provide 40mg tabs. They say cut into 4, but this is difficult to do, cutting into 2 is easy though. Rather than every day, can i take 20 mg every other day?

I could buy different size tabs from a pharmacy, but the 40mg tabs are really cheap from the government hospital (less than half the price).

I am also beginning to experience some problems with my feet. Seems to affect my metatarsals, feel dislocated in the mornings, then gets better after walking a bit, but get pains if you walk a lot.....

You need a daily dose per what my dr said. It really doesn’t matter much that you dont get the cut exactly right according to him. It would be better, of course. Just have your dr check again in a few weeks or month to see if 10 mg/ day is doing the job. 

The feeling in your feet sounds like a neuropathy or arthritis. Did it start after starting the statin or other drug ? Or has it been developing over time irrespective of medicine ? 

Sometimes changing shoes can do it. Or just plain overuse. If it is constant and no other changes than the one episode of additional walking, then i would go see a foot dr to get xrays and see if need orthotic shoe inserts to provide better support.

I have had planter fasciitis before that feels like a knife in the middle of the foot. Anti-inflammatories, rest , and orthotics fixed it after a few months.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/plantar-fasciitis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354851

With overuse, there is a chance there is a stress fracture in one of the bones. 

Edited by degrub

• 2 weeks later...