My blood test shows high Cholesterol – Looking for advice - Drugs / Diet .

1 hour ago, tomgreen said:

Hi and thanks for your comment .

I was some how hoping that the blood test I had to day ( 11 March 2024 ) was an indicator that my creatinine number was not too high Vs my blood test results on 5th of March 2024 .

Tom

You're welcome Tom. In conclusion I would say that your cholesterol isn't something to be very concerned about. I think it is the least of your worries. If it were me I wouldn't take the statins either because they can cause more harm than good to other organs. 

I would do more medical diagnostic investigation on your kidneys though with additional blood and urine tests on the other kidney function markers I mentioned. 

I would also start to make some definite lifestyle changes on diet and exercise. Those two things will likely have the biggest impact of all. Less sugar and carbs for sure and add in some high quality fats. More salads with olive oil too. 

The other option is to just go on as you are, not change anything, and let life take its natural course. The decision is up to you and the necessary changes will take some effort and commitment. It is entirely your choice. 

best wishes...

• Thumbs Up 1

Cholesternium 9CH (homeopathy) doses. 3 balls under the tongue, before meals, 2 a day. Worked miracles for me. Free to anybody to belive in homeopathy or not. I am not trying to convert or give any medical advise here. Plainly sharing what worked with me and kept me away,  for the moment,  from the big pharma's drugs.

(Consult by all means a qualified doctor on the issue of course. This is plainly to share a personal experience and not a medical recommendation) .

On 3/9/2024 at 10:13 PM, newbee2022 said:

No.

It's not necessary for liver check ups when taking statins. Unless you got issues prior to statin medication.

Latest research shows even a beneficial effect on liver carcinoma.

Of course a change in life style habits is a plus (exercise, healthy food, weight reduction aso)

So you say my blood tests and the professional doctor medical advice were wrong? God help us.

On 3/9/2024 at 10:13 PM, newbee2022 said:

No.

It's not necessary for liver check ups when taking statins. Unless you got issues prior to statin medication.

Latest research shows even a beneficial effect on liver carcinoma.

Of course a change in life style habits is a plus (exercise, healthy food, weight reduction aso)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3070374/#:~:text=Atorvastatin has been associated with,after discontinuation of atorvastatin treatment.

3 hours ago, tomgreen said:

Thanks Sheryl

On the 5th of March 2024 Blood test I did fast for 12 hours before the blood test as instructed by the hospital doctor, on to days blood test test I did not fast at all before the blood test , I'm a little confused with the results , have I got this right . It seems to suggest that a blood test can give you 2 different results , depending if the patient fasted before the blood test or not. So which blood test ( 5th of March 2024 ) Vs ( 11th of March 2024 ) would I assume to show the correct and more reliable results for the BUN / Creatinine numbers. 

Tom

The issue is not whether you fasted in terms of eating food but whether you were dehydrated.  Dehdration will elevate creatnine readings.

I suspect you were dehydrated on the 1earlier

blood tests due to fasting and that this last test is more indicative of your kidney function. But keep an eye on future values.

As mentioned, you can still drink plain water before cholesterol panel test even though hospital will say "nothing by mouth".

in this heate specially, it is important to avoid dehydration.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, jojothai said:

So you say my blood tests and the professional doctor medical advice were wrong? God help us.

Sounds as if "your doctor" himself is God?? 

To be honest. I'm happy that I have now time (retired) to read the latest medical updates and research in the world. 

It often takes a while for new medical findings to become accepted as general knowledge

On 3/9/2024 at 1:28 PM, jojothai said:

Statins can seriously affect the liver function.
That's what happened to me when I was first prescribed. It took a few months to cause the problem.
You must get the liver function checked periodically.

I agree with this, I tried simvastatin on 2 occasions several years apart. After about a month, excruciating pains in upper muscles of my legs and diarrhoea. Doctor ran some tests and liver results were 3x upper range! Stopped taking them and went back within normal levels when blood checked again a few weeks later. 

9 hours ago, tomgreen said:

So after Sheryl’s recommendation today I had another blood test , but this time only for the following areas...

1. BUN
2. Creatnine
3. Sodium
4. Potassium

I don't wish to be alarmist but your eGFR at 47 appears to be low. I was always of the understanding it should be like 90 or higher. That said, it is not marked as H or L so perhaps I have this wrong?

Edited by mstevens
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The issue is not whether you fasted in terms of eating food but whether you were dehydrated.  Dehdration will elevate creatnine readings.

blood tests due to fasting and that this last test is more indicative of your kidney function. But keep an eye on future values.

As mentioned, you can still drink plain water before cholesterol panel test even though hospital will say "nothing by mouth".

I've been testing annually for well over 10 years, usually in December or January when the weather isn't as hot, and I always drink a liter of water before bed and then another liter in the morning about two hours before I give blood for any of these marker tests. My personal experience is that the water helps to bring down your BUN a bit, but has much less of an effect on bringing down creatinine levels. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

I don't wish to be alarmist but your eGFR at 47 appears to be low. I was always of the understanding it should be like 90 or higher. That said, it is not marked as H or L so perhaps I have this wrong?

eGFR is just an average estimation based on BUN, creatinine, age, ethnicity, etc. Since it isn't an actual test they never provide a high or low for it. As you age into your seventies it also isn't expected to remain above 90. The 47 reading he has is of course quite low, but again it's just an average of the other markers. If his creatinine went down his eGFR would automatically go up. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 7:18 AM, TigerandDog said:

start drinking extra virgin olive oil. 30 mls (2 tablespoons) every morning on an empty stomach and the same dose again 1 hour before bed at night.

evoo may have health benefits, but there are too many brands on the market and i don't trust that they are 100% olive oil and not mixed with other crappy oils.

so I stopped eating it.

make a list of all foods that contribute to clogged arteries and limit consumption of those foods.

because any one health hack or even statins won't be enough to save you if you consume bad foods on a regular basis. 

and watch out for misinformation. foods high in cholesterol like eggs don't clog the arteries.

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks Sheryl.

I think on the first blood test I could have been dehydrated , but on the following tests , due to the hot weather I have been drinking a lot more water through out each day .

My Thai wife enquired about making an appointment to see Dr. Watanyu Parapiboon at Maharat , and there’s a very long waiting list . Would you happen to know of another nephrologist in the Korat area that may be a possibility .  

Alternatively my next scheduled blood test appointment is at Suranaree University of Technology (SUT) Hospital in Korat on the 28th of May 2024, and while at that blood test appointment , I could discuss the subject of seeing a nephrologist . My concern is waiting that length of time ( until the 28th of May 2024 ) to possibly arrange to see a nephrologist and if waiting that length of time would be a wise decision or not .

Tom

14 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Thanks Sheryl.

I think on the first blood test I could have been dehydrated , but on the following tests , due to the hot weather I have been drinking a lot more water through out each day .

My Thai wife enquired about making an appointment to see Dr. Watanyu Parapiboon at Maharat , and there’s a very long waiting list . Would you happen to know of another nephrologist in the Korat area that may be a possibility .  

Alternatively my next scheduled blood test appointment is at Suranaree University of Technology (SUT) Hospital in Korat on the 28th of May 2024, and while at that blood test appointment , I could discuss the subject of seeing a nephrologist . My concern is waiting that length of time ( until the 28th of May 2024 ) to possibly arrange to see a nephrologist and if waiting that length of time would be a wise decision or not .

Tom

Good to see that you have taken the most beneficial advice of all and started an activity routine instead of sitting around all day and waiting for the magic pill to do its thing... good job on reducing you meat portion at meals as well... 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Paul9989 said:

You're welcome Tom. In conclusion I would say that your cholesterol isn't something to be very concerned about. I think it is the least of your worries. If it were me I wouldn't take the statins either because they can cause more harm than good to other organs. 

I would do more medical diagnostic investigation on your kidneys though with additional blood and urine tests on the other kidney function markers I mentioned. 

I would also start to make some definite lifestyle changes on diet and exercise. Those two things will likely have the biggest impact of all. Less sugar and carbs for sure and add in some high quality fats. More salads with olive oil too. 

The other option is to just go on as you are, not change anything, and let life take its natural course. The decision is up to you and the necessary changes will take some effort and commitment. It is entirely your choice. 

best wishes...

Thanks

Ive already made some diet changes and a home tread mill should be on its way , Its crossed my mind if there may come a time later on in life ( 74 years of age ) when you think to your self , look enough is enough and like you say , let life take its natural course .

Tom

7 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Good to see that you have taken the most beneficial advice of all and started an activity routine instead of sitting around all day and waiting for the magic pill to do its thing... good job on reducing you meat portion at meals as well... 

Thanks for your comment , its appreciated .

I'm looking forward to loosing some weight and receiving more encouraging future blood test results. As some one who has never spent a night in any hospital and currently has no medical symptoms and feels fine ,  I'm wondering what the future may have held if I had '' NOT '' decided to have any blood tests done at all . Would having '' NO''  blood tests done , may be reduced the high stress and anxiety I now find my self under , because I did decided to have a blood test done in the first place.

I have expat friends here in Thailand around the same age as my self , and some of those friends have not had a blood test for over 10 years .

Tom

4 hours ago, Paul9989 said:

eGFR is just an average estimation based on BUN, creatinine, age, ethnicity, etc. Since it isn't an actual test they never provide a high or low for it. As you age into your seventies it also isn't expected to remain above 90. The 47 reading he has is of course quite low, but again it's just an average of the other markers. If his creatinine went down his eGFR would automatically go up. 

Thanks , the interesting part is ..... Since it isn't an actual test they never provide a high or low for it.

I learn some thing new every day 👍

Tom

1 minute ago, tomgreen said:

Thanks for your comment , its appreciated .

I'm looking forward to loosing some weight and receiving more encouraging future blood test results. As some one who has never spent a night in any hospital and currently has no medical symptoms and feels fine ,  I'm wondering what the future may have held if I had '' NOT '' decided to have any blood tests done at all . Would having '' NO''  blood tests done , may be reduced the high stress and anxiety I now find my self under , because I did decided to have a blood test done in the first place.

I have expat friends here in Thailand around the same age as my self , and some of those friends have not had a blood test for over 10 years .

Tom

I am 76 and avoid doctors and hospitals and medical tests as much as possible... but if my body tells me it is not feeling good I acknowledge it's wish to work on that... my opinion is that tests for the sake of tests to see if you feel good are a waste of time and effort at our age... if I feel good then I am happy and healthy... I don't need a standardized test to tell me that fact.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I am 76 and avoid doctors and hospitals and medical tests as much as possible... but if my body tells me it is not feeling good I acknowledge it's wish to work on that... my opinion is that tests for the sake of tests to see if you feel good are a waste of time and effort at our age... if I feel good then I am happy and healthy... I don't need a standardized test to tell me that fact.

Many thanks , 

One thing that made be worry is this ….

Chronic kidney disease (CKD) can be diagnosed with blood and urine tests. In many cases, CKD is only found when a routine blood or urine test you have for another problem shows that your kidneys may not be working normally.

So some one may not realize that they in fact have a kidney problem ( no symptoms ) until they have a blood test done .

Tom

7 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Many thanks , 

Chronic kidney disease (CKD) can be diagnosed with blood and urine tests. In many cases, CKD is only found when a routine blood or urine test you have for another problem shows that your kidneys may not be working normally.

So some one may not realize that they in fact have a kidney problem ( no symptoms ) until they have a blood test done .

Tom

Again at our age... why worry about CKD if you are feeling healthy... all the stress worrying will kill you faster than any of it... not to mention the high exposure to disease and illness that you get from going to the Dr's or hospital... you do know that those are areas where sick people congregate.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Again at our age... why worry about CKD if you are feeling healthy... all the stress worrying will kill you faster than any of it... not to mention the high exposure to disease and illness that you get from going to the Dr's or hospital... you do know that those are areas where sick people congregate.

😀  you do know that those are areas where sick people congregate .😀 

Tom

16 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Many thanks , 

Tom

A relaxed version of what this guy says... except I am not pro tests... To live longer, do these 5 things every day, says a brain health expert 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/10/2024 at 6:04 PM, Gecko123 said:

Come on guy, 74's too young for the rocking chair. But I agree the climate makes exercise a challenge. Any swimming pools around where you live? I exercise early morning (walking and mountain bike riding), driving to a long stretch of back road with almost no dogs or traffic. I always carry a small flashlight. Wish you the best of luck achieving your fitness and health goals.

Thanks 

A home tread mill is on its way 👍

Tom

4 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

A relaxed version of what this guy says... except I am not pro tests... To live longer, do these 5 things every day, says a brain health expert 

Thanks 

Just started to read that article and I saw this comment ....

My doctor recently told me to drink less, sleep more, eat healthy and exercise every day. So, starting today I'm making a big change in my life. I'm no longer going to that doctor. 

😀

Tom 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tomgreen said:

Thanks Sheryl.

Tom

Given that the most recent creatnine level was normal there is no hurry.

Indeed if on next tesf it is also normal (make dure you sre adequately hydrated!) then no need to see one at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, superal said:

Thanks for the info . When you say the fridge , will that be cold enough or what about a chest freezer ?

just put in the fridge, not a chest freezer or freezer of any kind.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, save the frogs said:

evoo may have health benefits, but there are too many brands on the market and i don't trust that they are 100% olive oil and not mixed with other crappy oils.

so I stopped eating it.

make a list of all foods that contribute to clogged arteries and limit consumption of those foods.

because any one health hack or even statins won't be enough to save you if you consume bad foods on a regular basis. 

and watch out for misinformation. foods high in cholesterol like eggs don't clog the arteries.

3 brands that are definitely NOT fake are Bertolli, Carbonell & Minori.  I've done the fridge test on the first 2, so I know they are not fake and I mainly use Carbonell a Spanish EVOO. If Carbonell is not available I use Bertolli.

Most of the fake olive oils appear to be Italian.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1