My blood test shows high Cholesterol – Looking for advice - Drugs / Diet .

Hi Superal, 

I look for organic and cold pressed oils.  That in itself does not guarantee that it is indeed 100% olive oil.  Have found a Spanish oiive oil at Villa Market, “Rawganio”, certified organic olives. 
As mentioned I have studied a lot, which obviously does not make me a doctor, however I find the subject very interesting.

e.g. I lowered my somewhat high blood pressure by taking the amino acid L-arginine, which is a precursor to the good nitric oxide.  This relaxes your blood vessels, gets more oxygen into your blood, result is lowered blood pressure without the petrodrugs that mess up the communication between cells which cause you to have to take more petrodrugs to treat the side effects.

i take quite a few supplements, I try to eat non GMO foods as well as organic as much as possible.  Problem, however, soil management these days is very poor, so not enough nutrients and minerals in soil is taken up by plants and supplementation becomes necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Brazil nuts can regulate cholesterol. Eat one a week. Olive oil is good for you, too.

A diet change might be beneficial as well, if you eat a lot of unhealthy stuff. Less fried meat and French fries and more fruit, veggies and nuts are always good. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/8/2024 at 10:41 AM, Sheryl said:

Don't forget the fish oil.  You want to get your HDL (which is protective) up preferrably to about 70. 

FYI, Sheryl i have a low HDL and have not found anything to improve it. I know my readings for over 20 years.
I have seen fish oil stated many times and I tried fish oil for 3 to 4 years daily . But it made no difference.
Also when I went onto low carbs to reduce the LDL, it worked but had no effect on the HDL.

Can you suggest any other ways to increase HDL?

His triglyceride ratio to HDL appears to looks ok but i may not be up to date on current medical opinion, so the LDL appears to be the problem.

If the OP loses some weight, it will help. Exercise or reducing the carbs should help to do that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, jojothai said:

FYI, Sheryl i have a low HDL and have not found anything to improve it. I know my readings for over 20 years.
I have seen fish oil stated many times and I tried fish oil for 3 to 4 years daily . But it made no difference.
Also when I went onto low carbs to reduce the LDL, it worked but had no effect on the HDL.

Can you suggest any other ways to increase HDL?

Eat foods high in omega fats. Fish. Avocados. Nuts. Soy.

Cook with olive oil, soy oil, sunflower oil, or flax oil

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 1:45 PM, newbee2022 said:

Good decision to continue taking those statins. You take it in the evening before sleeping? Also change your habits of eating. Probably your doctor told you already what to eat and what to avoid. Avoid the alc of course/beer. And....start for exercise at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Statins are known for minor side effects only. (Pain in legs/bones. Therefore administer at the night)

Statins can seriously affect the liver function.
That's what happened to me when I was first prescribed. It took a few months to cause the problem.
You must get the liver function checked periodically.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jojothai said:

Statins can seriously affect the liver function.
That's what happened to me when I was first prescribed. It took a few months to cause the problem.
You must get the liver function checked periodically.

No.

It's not necessary for liver check ups when taking statins. Unless you got issues prior to statin medication.

Latest research shows even a beneficial effect on liver carcinoma.

Of course a change in life style habits is a plus (exercise, healthy food, weight reduction aso)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

This is just one study, so maybe not conclusive.

I dont eat many vegetables, but try to eat some fruit with every meal. Fruit may be helping to lower bad cholesterol. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14749225/

Background: An elevated LDL-cholesterol concentration is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. 

Objective: The objective was to determine whether a high intake of fruit and vegetables is inversely associated with LDL concentrations.

Conclusion: Consumption of fruit and vegetables is inversely related to LDL in men and women.

• Thumbs Up 1

1.Obey and trust doctor advices and recommendations 

2.Change your daily life and eating habits 

I am confused and I can understand you.You live in Thai and you have your Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) high?

When I am in Thailand I feel much better than my home country because you have plenty of healthy delicious receipts in your excellent nutricion. (spicy Thai shrimp /squid green salad).

3.Stay away from "whites" foods .....salt -sugar -milk -icecream -sweets etc.

4.Exercise or walk enouth in your daily program and do not forget to drink at least 2 litters water daily.

Source:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-lower-cholesterol#eat-monounsaturated-fats

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

@tomgreen Wow... you got a lot of advice and comments, which is why I tagged you. I am not advising you... just commenting.  I sort of went through the same process with my Thai Doc and I'm not changing to any other, because she's one of the smartest Docs I've met in her nephrology field.  However, I did find that she liked to use me a bit as a lab rat. (It was really evident with regard to my blood pressure medication(s)).  But yes, cholesterol high, take lipitor. Cholesterol low, okay, you can stop.  I didn't. I reduced my dosage to one 10mg tablet every 3 days.  My cholesterol readings were just fine so far since then.  I did think about just cutting the pills in half and taking 1/2 daily, but the every three days was easier (for me).

On another note. Do you drink alcohol.  My friend was a social drinker, mostly wine and a little beer, some whiskey.  He died from liver disease in his mid-60's and the doctors in the USA attributed it to his use of statins and alcohol.  I didn't understand all that, but it made me very cautious about taking more than I absolutely needed.

Best Wishes,

James

Hi , its interesting that you bring up drinking alcohol and the use of statins. Personally I don’t drink alcohol , but I do know other expat friends here who are also taking statins to lower their  Cholesterol numbers and they have continued to drink alcohol on a daily basis . If fact one friend I recently talked to , who is also taking Atorvastatin and drinking alcohol on a regular basis, made the comment that as long as his Cholesterol numbers are being controlled and lowered by taking Atorvastatin , then its perfectly ok for him to continue his daily Chang beer drinking routine . 

Tom

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, nickmondo said:

I would not be taking medicines at all if i were you

LDL in the good old days, nobody batted an eyelid unless well above 300

lots of research to be done on You Tube, I did it, you should also.

I would NEVER, EVER, take a statin

Thanks for your comment.  

Thats an interesting point of view , so if taking medicine to lower cholesterol is not recommended , then life style changes would be the only other option ,

Tom

3 hours ago, zakalwe said:

I had higher cholesterol than you for 20 years. I refused to take any statins until recently.

Thanks for your comment .

So after 20 years ,  what made you start taking statins ?

Tom 

• Thumbs Up 1

First a big thank you to every one for your comments , recommendations and suggestions , they are much appreciated. 

While researching the subject of lowering high cholesterol numbers Ive seen the words herbs and supplements used. 

So I’m wondering if any one here has taken supplement or herbs to help lower their cholesterol numbers and if so did taking them help in any way .

Tom

I had higher cholesterol than you for 20 years. I refused to take any statins until recently.

The word "cholesterol" by itself is not specific enough when addressing this issue. 

This woman is a doctor and has a different spin on statins. Might be worth a look. 

Take a look at 6:49 of the video. There is an image of what clogged arteries look like. 

6:49: "If you're taking a statin in hopes that you lower your bad LDL cholesterol, you will lower the LDL in circulation, not the ones stuck in the arterial wall."

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Thanks for your comment .

So after 20 years ,  what made you start taking statins ?

Tom 

Oh, I had a heart attack and got bypass surgery. I showed those doctors though!

Now I'm taking a bunch of pharmaceuticals whereas the only thing I took regularly before was a daily multivitamin. 

I was and still am pretty lazy in terms of physical exercise.

Physical exercise >>> drugs

But you can't outrun a bad diet.

Edited by zakalwe
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

First a big thank you to every one for your comments , recommendations and suggestions , they are much appreciated. 

While researching the subject of lowering high cholesterol numbers Ive seen the words herbs and supplements used. 

So I’m wondering if any one here has taken supplement or herbs to help lower their cholesterol numbers and if so did taking them help in any way .

Tom

I haven't tried any of these personally. I just googled it. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/herbs-to-help-lower-cholesterol-quickly

But I would like to offer the following advice. Unfortunately, the mainstream medical system cannot and should not be fully trusted. 

Therefore, one piece of advice I would like to offer is to make friends with someone who owns or works at at natural health food store that sells supplements.

Find a naturopath or a homeopath.

It can be someone in your home country as all consultations can be done by Skype nowadays.

Explain to them your issue and ask them about supplements and they will tell you.

One health food store owner I met in my home country was a former pharmacist. So he actually understood which herbs had similar effects to some of the pharmaceuticals. Often even more effective and less side effects. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, zakalwe said:

Oh, I had a heart attack and got bypass surgery. I showed those doctors though!

Now I'm taking a bunch of pharmaceuticals whereas the only thing I took regularly before was a daily multivitamin. 

I was and still am pretty lazy in terms of physical exercise.

Physical exercise >>> drugs

But you can't outrun a bad diet.

Can I ask your age when you had your bypass surgery , and your age now. 

Tom

17 minutes ago, zakalwe said:

I had the bypass surgery last year. In my 50s.

Thanks , In what ways did having the heart bypass change your life , may be your diet or physical exercising , how about mentally or religiously . 

Tom 

6 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Thanks , In what ways did having the heart bypass change your life , may be your diet or physical exercising , how about mentally or religiously . 

Tom 

Not much really. I think I will keep my gym membership year round now but I still don't exercise enough. I take pills now. Taking pills is easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, indyo said:

your body produces cholesterol only during the night take any prescribed drugs before to go sleep and eat lighter at evening or night

Just a comment here... I'm on rosuvastatin (Crestor 10mg) and this statin can be taken it at any time of the day.

Have tried taking it at night but often forgot or not home or whatever. Now I have a notification on my mobile to take it at 7am.

Like the op, my cardiologist in Australia said I could try going off the statin but GP's tests showed an increase after 3 months off it. Note I also have other issues like mild plaque plus LBBB.

I did not want to take it and looked at so much info about the subject. Hard decision with polarising views about statins but this info I decided I'd better take it, obviously with my doctors recommendation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjPDA0Ccl50

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, zakalwe said:

Not much really. I think I will keep my gym membership year round now but I still don't exercise enough. I take pills now. Taking pills is easy.

Thanks , the reason I asked is that a good expat friend ( 69 years old ) who lives here also underwent heart bypass surgery a few years ago , before the surgery he never really bothered about his diet and his physical exercising mainly consisted of lifting up a large bottle of Chang beer.

A few weeks after his surgery I had a chat with him and of course brought up the subject about him having the bypass surgery . I was expecting him to tell me that he would now be looking at his diet and doing some sort of physical exercising . To my surprise he seemed to not be that worried about changing his diet and certainly not buying a home tread mill and doing some physical exercising .

I did then say some thing like , look you have been given a warning and thankfully you are still here and aren't you worried . He just smiled and said that life is for living and its not his time to go .

I often still meet up with that friend at a local bar and its not unusual to see him with a smile on his face as he asks for his 3rd big bottle of Chang beer.

Tom 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

I often still meet up with that friend at a local bar and its not unusual to see him with a smile on his face as he asks for his 3rd big bottle of Chang beer.

Tom 

Well, you can still do everything right and still die. A 73 year old Swiss cyclist was killed in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago by a hit and run driver. What was he doing? Exercising. Ironic, huh?

Two decades ago, I asked a friend's uncle why did he buy lunch everyday. Wasn't it cheaper to bring something from home? He said he wanted to enjoy his lunches because he might die from a heart attack at any time. A decade later he died of a heart attack while hunting.

I think someone in their 60s like your friend know what kind of compromises he is willing to make. Also, if your friend has been in Thailand for awhile he has already partied like a rockstar. It may or may not be his time to go, but if he has to go--he partied like a rockstar.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Congratulations you have made it to your current age…

my best advice is to read Dr Dean Ornish’s book - Reversing Heart Disease

it will answer all your questions and which path you should take given your situation 

bottom line is it’s all about your condition of your arteries and daily stress management and not about blood test numbers, what meds you are taking or am I doing 60 minutes of cardio a day…

good luck 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/8/2024 at 5:06 PM, newnative said:

I was also going to suggest a CAC scan.  I had never had one until my annual physical last year, even though I have been taking statins for high cholesterol for many years.  Unlike you, my CAC score was very high--432--which shocked me as I don't smoke, don't drink, I exercise, am not overweight, have normal blood pressure, and eat the same healthy diet as my spouse, who had a zero CAC score.   I'm glad I had the test so I at least know what I am dealing with but it would have been helpful to have also had the test years ago so I could compare numbers.

When I reached 76 I decided to have a CAC scan, so went along to Bangkok Phuket hospital and had one, and the result was very good, with a score of just 40 when the range can go up to more than 400! So whatever I've been doing, which is not a lot, seems to be working, however the result did give me some peace of mind.

My blood pressure results are nowhere near as good as the OPs, but are good enough, although I do take doxazosin on a daily basis, so that obviously helps.

Jumping around a little here, I have been taking Red Yeast Rice capsules (same effects as Lovastatin) for quite a few years now and my cholesterol levels are always within recommended levels.

Just to throw another "wobbly" into the works, I recently watched a documentary on the South American gauchos and their lifestyle, and if you didn't already know, they live on the grasslands tending cattle and sheep for most of their lives, and their diets consist almost totally of meat, eating everything from the testicles to the intestines, morning, noon and night!

Watching this I decided to look at their lifespan because much has been made of our western diet made up of far too much in the way of animal meat/fats, and the push for the vegan lifestyle, so I was amazed when the average lifespan of a gaucho was 76 years, around the same as males around the world – – go figure??

Well, you can still do everything right and still die.

You definitely will anyway. Question is, what do you want to feel like while you're in the process? Is chasing after docs, meds, hsps, waddling around with a stomach, premature cognitive and physical decline, and the probability of a longer period, perhaps a decade or more, of suffering debilitating disease really worth not making the effort to take good care of your health and fitness? Worth all those medical expenses?

Our Medication Seekers agree that it is. Others here don't agree.

A 73 year old Swiss cyclist was killed in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago by a hit and run driver. What was he doing? Exercising. Ironic, huh?

Not ironic but predictable when you tempt fate by being an idiot. Old guy out riding his bike late at night on a road in Thailand, right. And that's the ONLY time, place, method to exercise.

Fate, BTW, is one of the canonical Principles of ANF Longevity Science, nothing new about that excuse.

What, me worry? II: Fate

It’s me fate. Might be hit by a lorry tomorrow. Get nekkid!

But actually

Falls are the leading cause of injury-related death among adults ages 65 and older, and the fall death rate is increasing.4 The age-adjusted fall death rate increased by 41% from 55.3 per 100,000 older adults in 2012 to 78.0 per 100,000 older adults in 2021.5,6

--https://www.cdc.gov/falls/data/index.html

Yet the risk of falls can be greatly minimized. How? Left as an exercise for the reader.

I think someone in their 60s like your friend know what kind of compromises he is willing to make.

Not really. What seems free will is actually dictated by insulin resistance, various addictions, and a lack of fitness. How about he decides AFTER he's changed to a healthy lifestyle, got off the meds, no longer addicted to sugar, carbs, and alcohol, lost the gut, and feeling fit from cardio and resistance exercise? Thing is, you never hear anybody in good shape wishing they were NOT in good shape, wanting to go back to the good ole days of pigging out, drinking, waddling, and chasing after the docs & meds. I think we have some testimonials here, actually. Let's give the man an informed free choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Paris333 said:

1.Obey and trust doctor advices and recommendations 

Does everyone agree with that one ? It is a difficult one. On a few occasions I have gone against the doctor's advice, rightly so.

17 minutes ago, xylophone said:

When I reached 76 I decided to have a CAC scan, so went along to Bangkok Phuket hospital and had one, and the result was very good, with a score of just 40 when the range can go up to more than 400! So whatever I've been doing, which is not a lot, seems to be working, however the result did give me some peace of mind.

My blood pressure results are nowhere near as good as the OPs, but are good enough, although I do take doxazosin on a daily basis, so that obviously helps.

Jumping around a little here, I have been taking Red Yeast Rice capsules (same effects as Lovastatin) for quite a few years now and my cholesterol levels are always within recommended levels.

Just to throw another "wobbly" into the works, I recently watched a documentary on the South American gauchos and their lifestyle, and if you didn't already know, they live on the grasslands tending cattle and sheep for most of their lives, and their diets consist almost totally of meat, eating everything from the testicles to the intestines, morning, noon and night!

Watching this I decided to look at their lifespan because much has been made of our western diet made up of far too much in the way of animal meat/fats, and the push for the vegan lifestyle, so I was amazed when the average lifespan of a gaucho was 76 years, around the same as males around the world – – go figure??

I worked for a year in Patagonia and all the locals drank uncountable quantities of mate (a kind of local tea). Maybe it does have some health benefits. 

• Thumbs Up 1