Why does cataract surgery require a hospital stay in Thailand?

9 minutes ago, ignis said:

Need Cataracts removed in both eyes, but until it is a big problem then  wait until such time says eye Dr  [Both at Chula and Eye Hospital Pinkloa] 

Chula [Red Cross]   said 13 - 15,000 baht per eye, No overnight for the Op, + best to have other eye done 3 weeks later

You have a big white eye pad stuck over eye then go back following day.....  The question would be returning home... = walk to underground + underground 45 min + Purple line to end = another 45 mins + Taxi 30 + mins  + same going back next day....   Maybe get Hotel room nearby 

Thanks but, as I wrote, I'm in Kalasin.

3 minutes ago, scotty1286 said:

I believe I am not, mine doesn't cover OPD as i didn't opt to pay the premium.

I have never opted for optional OPD cover. Seldom worth the added vost in Thsiland. 

But all my hospitalization-only policies (3 different companies over the years) covered day surgeries.

Yours probably does as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have never opted for optional OPD cover. Seldom worth the added vost in Thsiland. 

But all my hospitalization-only policies (3 different companies over the years) covered day surgeries.

Yours probably does as well. 

Aren't we going off-topic here? Funny from a moderator :)

• Like 1

I just recently had surgery for my eyes in the UK and a lens replacement.

There was no overnight stay, it was a top-class clinic I used and I was in and out in three hours.

I had an eye patch to wear on the way home and I was advised not to drive, which was fine. I was given various medications which I used (some painkillers, which I didn't take), and different forms of eye drops to help with the healing process, for one month.

I also had a procedure done in Thailand ( colonoscopy) last year, and they made me stay in the local hospital overnight. That procedure in the UK does not require hospitalisation.

5 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I just recently had surgery for my eyes in the UK and a lens replacement.

There was no overnight stay, it was a top-class clinic I used and I was in and out in three hours.

I had an eye patch to wear on the way home and I was advised not to drive, which was fine. I was given various medications which I used (some painkillers, which I didn't take), and different forms of eye drops to help with the healing process, for one month.

I also had a procedure done in Thailand ( colonoscopy) last year, and they made me stay in the local hospital overnight. That procedure in the UK does not require hospitalisation.

Yes. It seems that in Thailand some places, not all it seems from the comments, demand an overnight stay as a money-making scheme. Or, as some suggest, a precaution. I've had friends who have not needed an overnight stay in the UK and NZ, and Google shows not one link that I've found that says a stay is necessary. In Thailand, as so often, different rules apply. I'm resigned to having to play the game by their rules.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why does cataract surgery require a hospital stay in Thailand? 

Lady digger had on done a couple yrs ago .

One night for observation/Rest  Checkup next morning and go home,

Government hospital on Her Insurance .

In the UK you are in and out within hours for a meniscus op. Here they wanted me in for three nights. As he finished the op I actually told the surgeon I would be going home that evening and he made every excuse under the sun for reasons to stay in, including the need to "teach me how to use crutches"! The excuses to me just sounded like earning more money for the hospital. Suffice to say I went home that evening! 

Edited by bluemoon58
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:36 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I wrote a few weeks ago about my eye problems and Thailand's Top optician being unable to correct it with new glasses. I received some excellent advice amongst the usual irrelevant comments.

As a result of the excellent advice I attended a private hospital for a proper test, where I was told I had cataracts in both eyes and glaucoma in one. Surgery could be done on the cataracts for 25,000 a time. Okay. But I would need to stay overnight (extra charge of course but free food and dark glasses included :smile::unsure:).

A two-minute Google check revealed every single entry saying that no overnight stay is required. USA, UK, Australia. Nowhere. A friend in Scotland had it done, with tea and biscuits after and then home. In New Zealand, a friend took his father to be seen, in and out in three hours including recovery time. 

So I went to see a doctor who has a clinic in Kalasin and who works at the government hospital there. He confirmed the cataracts and said I didn't have glaucoma and my eye pressure was normal. You'd think a government hospital would charge less, but he wanted 20,000 plus an extra 5000 for him. And he also said I needed to stay overnight.

What makes cataract surgery so dangerous in Thailand that instead of going home straight away as you do in the rest of the world we have to stay in hospital overnight for observation, I wonder. I guess the answer has to begin with M or maybe B. It's the same thing. And it seems I'll have no alternative but to give in to the system.

Then I have to get a third opinion, somehow, on whether I have glaucoma or not.

Cash registers spinning in heads and foreigners spring to mind here.

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Even Gov cataract surgery requires an overnight stay, it is the 2 hourly blood pressure check thingy, plus eye pressure check in the morning, but even with that it was cheap as chips, 18/19,000 bht.......😉

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:36 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I wrote a few weeks ago about my eye problems and Thailand's Top optician being unable to correct it with new glasses. I received some excellent advice amongst the usual irrelevant comments.

As a result of the excellent advice I attended a private hospital for a proper test, where I was told I had cataracts in both eyes and glaucoma in one. Surgery could be done on the cataracts for 25,000 a time. Okay. But I would need to stay overnight (extra charge of course but free food and dark glasses included :smile::unsure:).

A two-minute Google check revealed every single entry saying that no overnight stay is required. USA, UK, Australia. Nowhere. A friend in Scotland had it done, with tea and biscuits after and then home. In New Zealand, a friend took his father to be seen, in and out in three hours including recovery time. 

So I went to see a doctor who has a clinic in Kalasin and who works at the government hospital there. He confirmed the cataracts and said I didn't have glaucoma and my eye pressure was normal. You'd think a government hospital would charge less, but he wanted 20,000 plus an extra 5000 for him. And he also said I needed to stay overnight.

What makes cataract surgery so dangerous in Thailand that instead of going home straight away as you do in the rest of the world we have to stay in hospital overnight for observation, I wonder. I guess the answer has to begin with M or maybe B. It's the same thing. And it seems I'll have no alternative but to give in to the system.

Then I have to get a third opinion, somehow, on whether I have glaucoma or not.

I had cataract surgery in suratthani some 3 years ago at a private hospital. No need for an overnight stay. I was back in my hotel within the hour. Next day I had to call in for a checkup before going home. The previous year I had detached retina surgery in Bangkok and had to stay one night otherwise my insurance would not pay as it would have fallen under outpatient treatment not inpatient. 

So no requirement from the hospital to stay but maybe necessary to be covered by your medical insurance.

Bangkok hospital in Phuket.

Cataract operation in one eye.

I remember having to wait one hour or so before going back home.

Corrected the cataract, myopia gone, astigmatism gone. as well as residual astigmatism.

Very happy with the results....

9 minutes ago, CFCol said:

I had cataract surgery in suratthani some 3 years ago at a private hospital. No need for an overnight stay. I was back in my hotel within the hour. Next day I had to call in for a checkup before going home. The previous year I had detached retina surgery in Bangkok and had to stay one night otherwise my insurance would not pay as it would have fallen under outpatient treatment not inpatient. 

So no requirement from the hospital to stay but maybe necessary to be covered by your medical insurance.

What did the retina fix cost......?

49 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

It isn't only foreigners. When I was there for a test about a dozen Thais arrived with overnight bags. It was a private hospital so I doubt they were on the 30 baht scheme. As I wrote earlier, they probably accepted what they were told without question as the doctor was higher on the social ladder and therefore knew better and had to be obeyed.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It isn't only foreigners. When I was there for a test about a dozen Thais arrived with overnight bags. It was a private hospital so I doubt they were on the 30 baht scheme. As I wrote earlier, they probably accepted what they were told without question as the doctor was higher on the social ladder and therefore knew better and had to be obeyed.

That reads like a load of tosh.....  :coffee1:

With my cataract surgery in a Gov hospital, there were Thais and Laos folk paying for the job, we were all put into the same ward together, overnight, all had the same routine, except me, family brought in my grub.....

Eye inspection in the morning before let loose. I and many take notice of what the professionals dictate as it is their show, their expertise that is fixing the eye problems, and not a bloke on TVF who thinks he knows better........:ermm:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, transam said:

That reads like a load of tosh.....  :coffee1:

With my cataract surgery in a Gov hospital, there were Thais and Laos folk paying for the job, we were all put into the same ward together, overnight, all had the same routine, except me, family brought in my grub.....

Eye inspection in the morning before let loose. I and many take notice of what the professionals dictate as it is their show, their expertise that is fixing the eye problems, and not a bloke on TVF who thinks he knows better........:ermm:

Okay. But if you read through these posts, and even if you don't, many have said that no overnight stay is needed either in Thailand or anywhere else people have had the job done and posted about it. Google it, and not one item in the first couple of pages says anything other than no stay is needed. I personally have friends in Scotland and NZ who have had it done and gone home pretty much straight away.

I guess those doctors who treat you as an out-patient, who are not blokes on TVF, are professionals too, but not motivated by money. What do you think? Something like 50 links or comments saying no stay needed against, from memory, none saying it is. It might be seen as a precaution, but if countless other people have been out-patients without problems, I wonder what makes the procedure so different in Thailand.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Okay. But if you read through these posts, and even if you don't, many have said that no overnight stay is needed either in Thailand or anywhere else people have had the job done and posted about it. Google it, and not one item in the first couple of pages says anything other than no stay is needed. I personally have friends in Scotland and NZ who have had it done and gone home pretty much straight away.

I guess those doctors who treat you as an out-patient, who are not blokes on TVF, are professionals too, but not motivated by money. What do you think? Something like 50 links or comments saying no stay needed against, from memory, none saying it is. It might be seen as a precaution, but if countless other people have been out-patients without problems, I wonder what makes the procedure so different in Thailand.

Fear of a problem and losing their job/pension, perhaps, so better be safe than sorry.......🤗

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wonder what makes the procedure so different in Thailand.

1.  Much less cost to patient/insurance for an overnight stay in Thailand than most countries.  So no motivation to save on a cost/risk basis.

2.  Much stronger sun/UV - darkness is needed.

3.  Much lower quality emergency services available if required.

4.  Better chance of instructions being followed in hospital rather than from a printed sheet.

5.  Cost/risk as above - just better to play it safe.

6.  Yes - the hospitals, that many of us use, with room rates at 10,000 baht per night often operate return next day as the sums are much higher.  It is not a money grab.

Edited by lopburi3

14 minutes ago, transam said:

Fear of a problem and losing their job/pension, perhaps, so better be safe than sorry.......🤗

Ah, now that is tosh, and you know it :biggrin:

Did you read in the thread too of the government hospital doctor who blatantly told me it was 20,000 plus 5,000 for him to do the surgery at his hospital? It's always about the money. And I got that observation from a Thai.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

1.  Much less cost to patient/insurance for an overnight stay in Thailand than most countries.  So no motivation to save on a cost/risk basis.

2.  Much stronger sun/UV - darkness is needed.

3.  Much lower quality emergency services available if required.

4.  Better chance of instructions being followed in hospital rather than from a printed sheet.

5.  Cost/risk as above - just better to play it safe.

6.  Yes - the hospitals, that many of us use, with room rates at 10,000 baht per night often operate return next day as the sums are much higher.

Good post. But surely 6 suggests that whether it is safe to leave the hospital or not depends on how much the room costs, not the risk involved. Expensive room = safe to leave. Cheap room = not safe to leave.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did you read in the thread too of the government hospital doctor who blatantly told me it was 20,000 plus 5,000 for him to do the surgery at his hospital? It's always about the money. And I got that observation from a Thai.

So if he does it on your back porch it is 20k but 25k if he does it with actual sterile medical equipment in a controlled hospital setting with nurse help and full emergency facilities and to you that is all about money?  Nobody is going to argue money is involved but often we do not appreciate how much it does cost for back up facilities (especially to medical standards).

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My retina fix, Gov hospital, I had a breakdown of charges, the surgeon's fee was in the figures............🤗 

Overnight stay is nonsense and not required. Yet the pricing is very very cheap and would scare me. 

Maybe you get it from the horse's mouth and check with www.rutnin.com ; seven floors of a top medical hospital dedicated to only one organ - the human eye. Yes, you would have to travel to Bangkok but trust me, that's nothing compared to a damaged eye sight for the rest of your life! 

54 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Good post. But surely 6 suggests that whether it is safe to leave the hospital or not depends on how much the room costs, not the risk involved. Expensive room = safe to leave. Cheap room = not safe to leave.

It is safer to stay a night in hospital - just as with other often out patient procedures - but it adds to costs so often we are shown the door by insurance or expensive western medical facilities as quickly as possible.  Expensive room motivation.  In Thailand room is often not a major expense so less push to get you out the door.

I had my cataract surgery done at a Private Hospital in Surat Thani, and they gave me the choice of an overnight stay or not. I opted to stay -  just in case there were any complications the nurses and doctors were on hand to resolve them, and I had to have a post op check the next morning anyway.

Edited by sambum

8 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I had Cataract Surgery 3 weeks ago at Srinagarind Hospital at KKU in Khon Kaen. No overnight stay is required.

Though I am covered by my wife's Gov Medical plan, the surgery receipt showed B13,000. 

I would think the charge is the same for those who are self pay.

The Dr's name is Ornsiri Thanathani.. She is the best.  She also has a clinic in KK

BTW. KKU has all the most up to date equipment. 

Any idea what the waiting time ,what they call the " line " , is at that hospital. 

13 k sounds very reasonable. Was quoted 20000 at the Lopburi provincial hospital, where overnight stay is required. The "line"  there is around a month. 

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It is safer to stay a night in hospital - just as with other often out patient procedures - but it adds to costs so often we are shown the door by insurance or expensive western medical facilities as quickly as possible.  Expensive room motivation.  In Thailand room is often not a major expense so less push to get you out the door.

I think this pretty much nails it down... 

Over night stays that are not 'essential' during or after a procedure are common here because there is no underlying financial incentive to operate under minimalist planning. 

I have had two procedures in the past 12 months - both would be considered day care surgery in the UK.

1) A recent knee Op - I was admitted at 10pm the night before and woken at 4am for surgery pre-op etc... (*this first night was free and was recommended as  convenience for the hospital). I then stayed the following night, I assume as a precaution  (2 nights stay) - In the UK this would have been AM operation and afternoon discharge. 

2) A recent ankle Op - I was admitted at lunch time, op in the afternoon and I stayed two nights, the first was probably necessary as I'd been given a spinal block (and was in effect paralysed until the following morning)... the second night seemed like nothing more than a precaution (2 nights stay) - In the UK this would have been an AM operation and afternoon discharge. 

I'm ok with the two nights stay as insurance covers this - if I were paying out of pocket, I'd push for same day discharge !!!... 

The issue here of course is that with everyone doing the same thing the insurance premiums rise. 

Its often difficult to tell what a Doctor / Surgeon or Specialist insists on for an over night stay and what is more flexible as just a convenience more than anything else.

• Confused 1

With the overnight issue, it's even worse in Vietnam  where I have been shopping around for cataract surgery .Seems to be a strict private/government hospital divide. Public hospitals here require you to stay in hospital for 3 days, 2 nights .Privates it's in/out the same day.The cheapest private hospitals charge twice the standard government rates.

Been to couple of hospitals in Thailand too. Some (Rayong provincial, the Satahip military hospital) practice 2 tier pricing.The Banglamung hospital has a 2 year "line ".Lopburi requires overnight stay.

Some posters mentioned 13 k without overnight stay in Thailand. If that is true, I will might wait till my next trip to Thailand. 

The thread is about overnight stay, but the mono versus trifocals is another issue to be considered. Half of the ophthalmologist I have talked to recommend the trifocals ,the other half advice against them.The scientific jury on this issue is still outm

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

So if he does it on your back porch it is 20k but 25k if he does it with actual sterile medical equipment in a controlled hospital setting with nurse help and full emergency facilities and to you that is all about money?  Nobody is going to argue money is involved but often we do not appreciate how much it does cost for back up facilities (especially to medical standards).

Now that's a bizarre scenario, which you made up entirely out of nowhere. Complete fantasy. There was no offer to do it on my back porch. The official government hospital charge is 20,000, but he said he adds a further 5,000 "for himself". That is exactly the words he used to my wife who was with me.