Why does cataract surgery require a hospital stay in Thailand?

I was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes. I also had astigmatism and wore progressive lenses. 

I had Toric corneal transplants placed in both eyes. The operation was outpatient and I had one eye done and the other the following week. I was actually able to walk home an hour after the procedure.

I was thoroughly impressed with Dr. Keerati Pungpapong at Bumrungrad. It would be difficult for me to find a better physician in California. Outstanding patient interaction, highly skilled, with excellent care. It's been 5 years and my eyes never bother me and my vision is excellent. 

1 minute ago, RayOday said:

I was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes. I also had astigmatism and wore progressive lenses. 

I had Toric corneal transplants placed in both eyes. The operation was outpatient and I had one eye done and the other the following week. I was actually able to walk home an hour after the procedure.

I was thoroughly impressed with Dr. Keerati Pungpapong at Bumrungrad. It would be difficult for me to find a better physician in California. Outstanding patient interaction, highly skilled, with excellent care. It's been 5 years and my eyes never bother me and my vision is excellent. 

What did it cost you...?

17 minutes ago, superal said:

Had both eyes done for cataracts in the UK and was given eye drops as an anesthetic . But an injection into the eye would not be for me . Is that only done in Thailand ?  Both my ops were done in private eye hospitals that treated only eyes . Including pre-op preparation , I was there both times  for 3 hours and then on my way home in a taxi . There after , eye drops 3 times a day for 2 weeks and also a plastic eye patch that was worn at nights to stop any rubbing on the eye . Check up after 1 month .

Thai guy in Bangkok had the cataract op and said he stayed in for one night and home the next day but had no eye drops . My local Thai government hospital does about 14 cataract operations a day , carried out by a lady eye surgeon . Free for Thai but farangs 25,000 baht per eye , including an overnight stay in a non V.I.P. room 

I did not really expect the anesthetic to be administered by a needle, and only realised as I was on the gurney. It is possible the doctor told me in one of the multitudinous (Rutnin has a very belaboured process) pre-op consultations, but I did not remember it. Stopping the hemorrhaging was a rather terrifying experience, and my eye looked a mess (as if I'd been in at least one round with Mike Tyson), for a month or more. Luckily the operation was successful, (performed after the hemorrhaging), and my beauty 🫣 restored.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:49 AM, ozimoron said:

You don't go home straight away in the rest of the world. In Australia you will spend some time in recovery then under a period of supervision which is not short and finally would have to have a person arrive to collect you who identifies themselves to the hospital staff and signs a declaration that they will stay with you and observe you for 24 hours and warns of criminal penalties for failure to do so. Otherwise you stay overnight.

I had a cataract operation on each eye in UK one year apart.

On both occasions I was sent home within a hour or so from the procedure. No immediate requirement for aftercare.

The hospitals advice was, unless anything untoward happens, I didn't need to see the surgeon until approx one month after the procedure. 

Operated for cataract in one eye in public hospital last month.  In and out the same day.  But being a public hospital, many hours of waiting.

If operated on both eyes the same day, you will be blind until the following day.  A point to bear in mind if you have no one to guide you home.

On 3/11/2024 at 4:49 AM, ozimoron said:

You don't go home straight away in the rest of the world. In Australia you will spend some time in recovery then under a period of supervision which is not short and finally would have to have a person arrive to collect you who identifies themselves to the hospital staff and signs a declaration that they will stay with you and observe you for 24 hours and warns of criminal penalties for failure to do so. Otherwise you stay overnight.

in the uk, in and out in a few hours, i've taken quite a few oldies for this op in the past because they can't drive after the procedure.

7 hours ago, ericbj said:

Operated for cataract in one eye in public hospital last month.  In and out the same day.  But being a public hospital, many hours of waiting.

If operated on both eyes the same day, you will be blind until the following day.  A point to bear in mind if you have no one to guide you home.

I don't think any responsible person would operate on both eyes at the same time. From comments on here, the time between seems to vary from doing the second one between one day and one month after the first. A couple of weeks after the first, combined with an appointment to check the first one, seems to be the norm.

On 3/11/2024 at 11:36 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I wrote a few weeks ago about my eye problems and Thailand's Top optician being unable to correct it with new glasses. I received some excellent advice amongst the usual irrelevant comments.

As a result of the excellent advice I attended a private hospital for a proper test, where I was told I had cataracts in both eyes and glaucoma in one. Surgery could be done on the cataracts for 25,000 a time. Okay. But I would need to stay overnight (extra charge of course but free food and dark glasses included :smile::unsure:).

A two-minute Google check revealed every single entry saying that no overnight stay is required. USA, UK, Australia. Nowhere. A friend in Scotland had it done, with tea and biscuits after and then home. In New Zealand, a friend took his father to be seen, in and out in three hours including recovery time. 

So I went to see a doctor who has a clinic in Kalasin and who works at the government hospital there. He confirmed the cataracts and said I didn't have glaucoma and my eye pressure was normal. You'd think a government hospital would charge less, but he wanted 20,000 plus an extra 5000 for him. And he also said I needed to stay overnight.

What makes cataract surgery so dangerous in Thailand that instead of going home straight away as you do in the rest of the world we have to stay in hospital overnight for observation, I wonder. I guess the answer has to begin with M or maybe B. It's the same thing. And it seems I'll have no alternative but to give in to the system.

Then I have to get a third opinion, somehow, on whether I have glaucoma or not.

You can take my comment or leave it. Your sight is the most important thing for me, & I can tell you for sure there are good doctors and not so good doctors for sure. I had both cataracts removed at the same time and replaced with the best lens 2 days ago. I also chose to have it with General Anesthetic. If you move your eye around while they are doing it they will inject under your eye towards the back with anesthetic to stop this. With general anesthetic this will not happen. The anesthetist spoke to me first & I was able to tell him somthing that happened in the past so we both ended up confindent. I was told 90 mins to 2 hours. Before the operation my Head of the eye section for 16y would be my Doctor for the operation she said after she has done the first eye she will walk out, change her clothes & scrub up again & all fresh sterilized instruments will be used for the other eye. After waking up my eye felt prickly but within 30 mins it had gone, I stayed in ICU for just over an hour. Yes I was told cos of being put to sleep I need to stay in over night. My food for dinner salmon, breakfast I chose without doubt the best ommlet of my life, Ramsay could have cooked it & early lunch a chicken burger with fries. Everybody spoke english even the nurses & all was always explained. I have to wear glasses for a week to protect from dust, polution, water & I have to have between 8am & 10Pm sometimes 2 sometime 4 drops every 2 hours, I wife takes care of me good. I can now read number plates good, my tv is brighter, the colour pops & I can read small subtitles.  It was at Phuket Bangkok Hospital Phuket Town. My Head of Dept Sergeon says my sight will improve more each day, its already WOW to what is was like. This was my 5th operation under general anesthetic at this hospital. I am not a rich person & I chose not to have insurance, I will be 71 in May. This is the bit you want to know.....TOTAL COST for everything, including 8 bottles of drops for my eyes (you do not use your right eye drops in your left eye) the hospital is very very careful about cross contamination for the first week, 

260,000 baht. for good vision, peace of mind, service, hopefully a one time thing. I have done the right thing for me. The sergeon is a lovely feamale Doctor with perfect english skills & the best bed side manner as they sah, she does tell you everything. I can't thank all who were infolved enough. It will be chocolates all around in a few days time.

7 minutes ago, helloagain said:

You can take my comment or leave it. Your sight is the most important thing for me, & I can tell you for sure there are good doctors and not so good doctors for sure. I had both cataracts removed at the same time and replaced with the best lens 2 days ago. I also chose to have it with General Anesthetic. If you move your eye around while they are doing it they will inject under your eye towards the back with anesthetic to stop this. With general anesthetic this will not happen. The anesthetist spoke to me first & I was able to tell him somthing that happened in the past so we both ended up confindent. I was told 90 mins to 2 hours. Before the operation my Head of the eye section for 16y would be my Doctor for the operation she said after she has done the first eye she will walk out, change her clothes & scrub up again & all fresh sterilized instruments will be used for the other eye. After waking up my eye felt prickly but within 30 mins it had gone, I stayed in ICU for just over an hour. Yes I was told cos of being put to sleep I need to stay in over night. My food for dinner salmon, breakfast I chose without doubt the best ommlet of my life, Ramsay could have cooked it & early lunch a chicken burger with fries. Everybody spoke english even the nurses & all was always explained. I have to wear glasses for a week to protect from dust, polution, water & I have to have between 8am & 10Pm sometimes 2 sometime 4 drops every 2 hours, I wife takes care of me good. I can now read number plates good, my tv is brighter, the colour pops & I can read small subtitles.  It was at Phuket Bangkok Hospital Phuket Town. My Head of Dept Sergeon says my sight will improve more each day, its already WOW to what is was like. This was my 5th operation under general anesthetic at this hospital. I am not a rich person & I chose not to have insurance, I will be 71 in May. This is the bit you want to know.....TOTAL COST for everything, including 8 bottles of drops for my eyes (you do not use your right eye drops in your left eye) the hospital is very very careful about cross contamination for the first week, 

260,000 baht. for good vision, peace of mind, service, hopefully a one time thing. I have done the right thing for me. The sergeon is a lovely feamale Doctor with perfect english skills & the best bed side manner as they sah, she does tell you everything. I can't thank all who were infolved enough. It will be chocolates all around in a few days time.

Thanks for the experience report. I would never, under any circumstances, run the risk of having both eyes done at the same time. Why would I? And I'll be paying 50,000 plus 3400 for the room over two visits. I can forgo salmon and a de-luxe omelet. The doctor I consulted, the surgeon, spoke good English and explained everything very well and I have no doubt she'll do an excellent job.

On 3/13/2024 at 1:22 PM, transam said:

What did it cost you...?

I can't recall. I want retired at the time and the company insurance paid. I am certain that the hospital/Dr. could provide an estimate. I am certain it wasn't cheap. The pre-op was extraordinarily thorough: antibacterial face wash, antibiotic drops in both eyes every 10 minutes for an hour. A mild dose of Valium prior to the procedure. No anesthesia. They use advanced equipment, GE and Siemens, to insure proper alignment of the implants. Eye cup is used for 2 nights after surgery then all is normal. Cataracts advance incrementally so I lost all reference to clear vision until the procedure was over. I was amazed at the clarity and acuity of sight post op. The first week everything in daily life took on a jewel like clarity. I am really pleased with the difference. Almost forgot that the implants are UV protective so no issues going forward.

Best of luck

1 minute ago, RayOday said:

I can't recall. I want retired at the time and the company insurance paid. I am certain that the hospital/Dr. could provide an estimate. I am certain it wasn't cheap. The pre-op was extraordinarily thorough: antibacterial face wash, antibiotic drops in both eyes every 10 minutes for an hour. A mild dose of Valium prior to the procedure. No anesthesia. They use advanced equipment, GE and Siemens, to insure proper alignment of the implants. Eye cup is used for 2 nights after surgery then all is normal. Cataracts advance incrementally so I lost all reference to clear vision until the procedure was over. I was amazed at the clarity and acuity of sight post op. The first week everything in daily life took on a jewel like clarity. I am really pleased with the difference. Almost forgot that the implants are UV protective so no issues going forward.

Best of luck

I flew down to BKK to go to a recommended Hospital, as nobody had the equipment or knowhow to fix my eye locally.

A very nice lady Professor told me they could have a go at fixing it, but it would probably cost about 250,000 bht....🥺

She then said there is a Professor in the field at a Gov hospital in Khon Kaen which would be way cheaper, they have the equipment.

So flew back home, next day drove to KK. I will cut the story very short, had the operation, spent 4 days in a very nice private wing, total cost, 66,000 bht.🤗

52 minutes ago, transam said:

I flew down to BKK to go to a recommended Hospital, as nobody had the equipment or knowhow to fix my eye locally.

A very nice lady Professor told me they could have a go at fixing it, but it would probably cost about 250,000 bht....🥺

She then said there is a Professor in the field at a Gov hospital in Khon Kaen which would be way cheaper, they have the equipment.

So flew back home, next day drove to KK. I will cut the story very short, had the operation, spent 4 days in a very nice private wing, total cost, 66,000 bht.🤗

I was recommended to KK to check my alleged glaucoma (one doctor in Kalasin says I have, then one said I  haven't), but I'll have to check again which hospital when I see her again for the cataract surgery.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was recommended to KK to check my alleged glaucoma (one doctor in Kalasin says I have, then one said I  haven't), but I'll have to check again which hospital when I see her again for the cataract surgery.

Best place in KK is Srinagaring (KK University Hospital)

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Best place in KK is Srinagaring (KK University Hospital)

Thanks. I think that was mentioned. I'll get the cataracts done comparatively locally first as the glaucoma is, as I've mentioned earlier, something of a 'slow burner'.

On 3/14/2024 at 10:08 AM, helloagain said:

Why would they inject in your eye, I had both eyes done recently, a series of drops to freeze my eye which took longer than the procedure. No ill effects after op, in and out in a couple of hours, Pattaya Jomtien for both eyes including medication and follow up checks.

• Agree 1

I had cataract surgery at Bangkok Chiang Mai Hospital in 2021,, left eye on Monday, right eye on following Wednesday, released for discharge each time after half an hour of rest, driven by my wife. No need of glasses any more.

I wrote a few weeks ago about my eye problems and Thailand's Top optician being unable to correct it with new glasses. I received some excellent advice amongst the usual irrelevant comments.

As a result of the excellent advice I attended a private hospital for a proper test, where I was told I had cataracts in both eyes and glaucoma in one. Surgery could be done on the cataracts for 25,000 a time. Okay. But I would need to stay overnight (extra charge of course but free food and dark glasses included :smile::unsure:).

A two-minute Google check revealed every single entry saying that no overnight stay is required. USA, UK, Australia. Nowhere. A friend in Scotland had it done, with tea and biscuits after and then home. In New Zealand, a friend took his father to be seen, in and out in three hours including recovery time. 

So I went to see a doctor who has a clinic in Kalasin and who works at the government hospital there. He confirmed the cataracts and said I didn't have glaucoma and my eye pressure was normal. You'd think a government hospital would charge less, but he wanted 20,000 plus an extra 5000 for him. And he also said I needed to stay overnight.

What makes cataract surgery so dangerous in Thailand that instead of going home straight away as you do in the rest of the world we have to stay in hospital overnight for observation, I wonder. I guess the answer has to begin with M or maybe B. It's the same thing. And it seems I'll have no alternative but to give in to the system.

Then I have to get a third opinion, somehow, on whether I have glaucoma or not.

I had both eyes operated at Medpark in Bkk. No overnight stay required. It requires eyedrops every 3 hrs post surgery for the 1st 12 hrs? Some ppl can't do it and can get it done by staying overnight. So my doc at Medpark explained. 

On 3/14/2024 at 7:42 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't think any responsible person would operate on both eyes at the same time. From comments on here, the time between seems to vary from doing the second one between one day and one month after the first. A couple of weeks after the first, combined with an appointment to check the first one, seems to be the norm.

My doc at Medpark said earliest one month later.

• Thanks 1

I would need to stay overnight

It's been my understanding from some Thai friends that they get more Thai healthcare insurance coverage (up to 100%) if a one night private hospital stay is required. Even with my foreign healthcare insurance overnight stay is considered in-patient that covers 100% coverage vs out-patient coverage at 85%. Personally it's worth the extra 15% to get out of a hospital ASAP.

On 3/14/2024 at 10:08 AM, helloagain said:

Wow, what a price. Costs less at top Bkk hospitals. General anaesthetic is a last resort as you are required to follow instruction for eye movement. You cannot do it when you are out. You may have had a sedation.

On 3/10/2024 at 9:57 PM, greg71 said:

I had my cataract surgery done at chula hospital here in bkk , operation was done at 4pm was out by 6 30 pm . 

I hear there is a long wait was the diagnosed correct and the procedure satisfactory. Last how much?

On 3/10/2024 at 10:40 PM, samtam said:

As others have stated, cataract surgery does not require an overnight stay. However, having had both mine done, first at Rutnin Eye (Bangkok) where the anesthetic procedure caused hemorrhaging, (needle into the eye), I still went home to recover the same day, and administered the requisite drops until I went for a follow up the next week. Given my experience I then had the second eye surgery performed at Samitivej Hospital (Bangkok) with drops anesthetic and went home afterwards. I was picked up by my partner both times, and managed the washing (shower) without getting water anywhere near my eyes. The prices you are quoted seem very reasonable. Rutnin was around THB140,000 and Samitivej around THB75,000 (both eyes normal lenses).

My straightforward experience at Samitivej is the norm for these procedures, (as everyone kept telling me before the horror show at the first surgery).

Happily everything is OK in both eyes now, and the difference in my sight is dramatically better; I no longer need long distance glasses.

Price for both eyes or just one?

25 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I hear there is a long wait was the diagnosed correct and the procedure satisfactory. Last how much?

From the time of the initial consultation to the day of the surgery was 5 weeks - cost was approx 30000 baht for multi focal lens which corrected both the vision and the presbyopia. This is the Dr who performed the surgery - 
https://www.asrs.org/find-a-specialist/profile/10392/Pear-Pongsachareonnont-Ferreira 
https://ophthalmology.md.chula.ac.th/ผศ-พญ-แพร์-พงศาเจริญนนท์/

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

It's been my understanding from some Thai friends that they get more Thai healthcare insurance coverage (up to 100%) if a one night private hospital stay is required. Even with my foreign healthcare insurance overnight stay is considered in-patient that covers 100% coverage vs out-patient coverage at 85%. Personally it's worth the extra 15% to get out of a hospital ASAP.

Interesting. Thai healthcare insurance doesn't apply to me which might be my escape clause. I might just play it by ear once I'm there, seeing how insistent the doctor is. Boredom is a factor. I have no burning desire to sit in a hospital room with nothing to do from late afternoon to the following morning.

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

I had both eyes operated at Medpark in Bkk. No overnight stay required. It requires eyedrops every 3 hrs post surgery for the 1st 12 hrs? Some ppl can't do it and can get it done by staying overnight. So my doc at Medpark explained. 

My wife can administer the drops and does the driving, so,,,, we'll see what unfolds. See my post above.

In the west you have to go back in the following morning and you are not immediately released after surgery so I guess keeping you overnight is some extra revenue which may well be part of the plan, given the cost of many Thai hospitals it maybe not be such a bad idea. Should any complications arise you have staff on hand to assist, unlikely but possible! 

12 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

In the west you have to go back in the following morning and you are not immediately released after surgery so I guess keeping you overnight is some extra revenue which may well be part of the plan, given the cost of many Thai hospitals it maybe not be such a bad idea. Should any complications arise you have staff on hand to assist, unlikely but possible! 

Agreed. I think I'm condemned to many hours of boredom as a result.

17 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

In a Gov hospital everyone has to stay overnight, even the non-payers, policy..