Why does cataract surgery require a hospital stay in Thailand?

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

I Googled the Thai for Visual Field Test + Khon Kaen and Bangkok Hospital KK / KK Ram Hospitals both have the equipment:

เครื่องตรวจลานสายตา (Computerized static perimetry)

https://www.bangkokhospitalkhonkaen.com/th/center/แผนกจักษุ

เครื่องตรวจวัดลานสายตาอัตโนมัติ : Automated Visual field Analyzer

http://www.khonkaenram.com/th/services/clinics-and-centers/eye-center

Thanks for this. The private doctor at Kalasin did say I'd need to go to KK and as that would be a 250km round trip I was hoping to avoid that. Seems not. But I'll get the cataracts done first as the glaucoma is something of a 'slow burner'.

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

Maybe some years back but these days I think all the big private hospitals - or at least any one big enough for an Opthalmology Dept - should have it.

There's actually a big quite new private hospital in Kalasin which my doctor might have 'forgotten' to mention as it's a rival to her place. I'll check it.

I had Cataract Surgery 3 weeks ago at Srinagarind Hospital at KKU in Khon Kaen. No overnight stay is required.

Though I am covered by my wife's Gov Medical plan, the surgery receipt showed B13,000. 

I would think the charge is the same for those who are self pay.

The Dr's name is Ornsiri Thanathani.. She is the best.  She also has a clinic in KK

BTW. KKU has all the most up to date equipment. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wrote a few weeks ago about my eye problems and Thailand's Top optician being unable to correct it with new glasses. I received some excellent advice amongst the usual irrelevant comments.

As a result of the excellent advice I attended a private hospital for a proper test, where I was told I had cataracts in both eyes and glaucoma in one. Surgery could be done on the cataracts for 25,000 a time. Okay. But I would need to stay overnight (extra charge of course but free food and dark glasses included :smile::unsure:).

A two-minute Google check revealed every single entry saying that no overnight stay is required. USA, UK, Australia. Nowhere. A friend in Scotland had it done, with tea and biscuits after and then home. In New Zealand, a friend took his father to be seen, in and out in three hours including recovery time. 

So I went to see a doctor who has a clinic in Kalasin and who works at the government hospital there. He confirmed the cataracts and said I didn't have glaucoma and my eye pressure was normal. You'd think a go

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wrote a few weeks ago about my eye problems and Thailand's Top optician being unable to correct it with new glasses. I received some excellent advice amongst the usual irrelevant comments.

As a result of the excellent advice I attended a private hospital for a proper test, where I was told I had cataracts in both eyes and glaucoma in one. Surgery could be done on the cataracts for 25,000 a time. Okay. But I would need to stay overnight (extra charge of course but free food and dark glasses included :smile::unsure:).

A two-minute Google check revealed every single entry saying that no overnight stay is required. USA, UK, Australia. Nowhere. A friend in Scotland had it done, with tea and biscuits after and then home. In New Zealand, a friend took his father to be seen, in and out in three hours including recovery time. 

So I went to see a doctor who has a clinic in Kalasin and who works at the government hospital there. He confirmed the cataracts and said I didn't have glaucoma and my eye pressure was normal. You'd think a government hospital would charge less, but he wanted 20,000 plus an extra 5000 for him. And he also said I needed to stay overnight.

What makes cataract surgery so dangerous in Thailand that instead of going home straight away as you do in the rest of the world we have to stay in hospital overnight for observation, I wonder. I guess the answer has to begin with M or maybe B. It's the same thing. And it seems I'll have no alternative but to give in to the system.

Then I have to get a third opinion, somehow, on whether I have glaucoma or not.

vernment hospital would charge less, but he wanted 20,000 plus an extra 5000 for him. And he also said I needed to stay overnight.

What makes cataract surgery so dangerous in Thailand that instead of going home straight away as you do in the rest of the world we have to stay in hospital overnight for observation, I wonder. I guess the answer has to begin with M or maybe B. It's the same thing. And it seems I'll have no alternative but to give in to the system.

You don't need to stay overnight in Thailand!  Not sure why you are being told that.  Because I need general anesthesia in order to hold still, I elected to have both eyes done at the same time by my eye doc of 20 eyes.  So, she kept me overnight to ensure I didn't have any problems from the anesthesia, but that is the only reason.  Excellent outcome, by the way.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Day Surgery became very popular in the UK in the mid 1990’s. Introduced to reduce costs to the NHS and some specialities were contracted out to the Private Sector in order to reduce waiting times.

New instruments and technology available so that the reduction in overnight stay was massive. Keyhole surgery was introduced and you can go home the same day after gall bladder or appendix removal . All endoscopies were home 5 hours post sedation and another list started. Cataracts done but the hundreds per week, most done in a day by good booking systems.

My experience here is that many Thais now have health insurance and the Insurance often doesn’t cover day surgery. So the patient requests that it is done on an overnight basis and the Doctor agrees. I know many that have done this.

The Insurance Companies are the crooks who have pushed up health care prices in most countries that I have worked in.

Of course as a Farang, if you are paying you should request day option or shop around .

• Thanks 1

I had one eye done in San Jose, CA a year ago. Quick, painless, immediately after sat in a darkened room for about 30 minutes then was good to go home. I'm not sure what the benefit of an overnight stay is.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, JackGats said:

In the EU they send you back home on the same day PROVIDED you are not home alone. In other words provided there's someone to look after you over the first night.

BS. Had it done gratis on NHS in UK, I live alone so no issue there in and out in 2 hours. Even drove home one eyed 😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿😅

Edited by Toby1947

11 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Maybe some years back but these days I think all the big private hospitals - or at least any one big enough for an Opthalmology Dept - should have it.

Well this was only about 5 years ago and hospital had an active ophthalmology department.

Don't let these 10th world cowboys anywhere near you, especially your eyes. You only get one chance with them. Return to civilization 2 hours in and out op, don't feel a thing. Good luck 

49 minutes ago, Tazmo said:

My experience here is that many Thais now have health insurance and the Insurance often doesn’t cover day surgery. So the patient requests that it is done on an overnight basis and the Doctor agrees.

That's a good point. 

• Love It 1

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So I went to see a doctor who has a clinic in Kalasin and who works at the government hospital there. He confirmed the cataracts and said I didn't have glaucoma and my eye pressure was normal. You'd think a government hospital would charge less, but he wanted 20,000 plus an extra 5000 for him. And he also said I needed to stay overnight.

It's a safety rule. Just in case.

59 minutes ago, Tazmo said:

My experience here is that many Thais now have health insurance and the Insurance often doesn’t cover day surgery. So the patient requests that it is done on an overnight basis and the Doctor agrees. I know many that have done this.

You make no sense. Insurance Co's do cover day surgery as it is cheaper than keeping someone overnight when the proceedure does not require it.

20 hours ago, ozimoron said:

You don't go home straight away in the rest of the world. In Australia you will spend some time in recovery then under a period of supervision which is not short and finally would have to have a person arrive to collect you who identifies themselves to the hospital staff and signs a declaration that they will stay with you and observe you for 24 hours and warns of criminal penalties for failure to do so. Otherwise you stay overnight.

My MIL had cataract surgery done at the local hospital, (one eye, later the other) no stay required.

2017 Rutnin Eye Hospital, Bangkok. First eye was done on a Monday. I was staying at a hotel a short walk from hospital so stayed there and returned Wednesday for the second eye. Again, walked back the same day to the hotel. Following day, back to Chiang Mai.

Do you mean lens replacement surgery for cataracts ?

I had both eyes done with new multifocal lens's (sp?) at BKK Pattaya.

If only getting one eye done at a time was told no overnight stay, if do both at same time then overnight stay.

I opted for both at same time due to having to return to work, they did first eye, waited 10 minutes to confirm I could see ok from that eye then did the second eye.

Surgeon and staff were all excellent, now fully sighted again and hopefully never need glasses again, more than happy with the outcome.

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

You make no sense. Insurance Co's do cover day surgery as it is cheaper than keeping someone overnight when the proceedure does not require it.

Not true, many policies do not cover Out-Patient Treatment (OPD) unless you pay a premium

Edited by scotty1286
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, scotty1286 said:

Not true, many policies do not cover Out-Patient Treatment (OPD) unless you pay a premium

I do believe you are mistaken. 

Comprehensive insurance covers all your healthcare expenses in Thailand, both in-patient and out-patient (OPD)

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The price quoted for the cataracts treatment is about par. The over night stay is a fleece. I have had both eyes done for cataracts about a month apart and was in and out within 3 hours on both occasions.

Bangkok Hospital Khon Kaen  Dr Pennapar Jampathong...First class sevice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donmuang37 said:

You don't need to stay overnight in Thailand!  Not sure why you are being told that.  Because I need general anesthesia in order to hold still, I elected to have both eyes done at the same time by my eye doc of 20 eyes.  So, she kept me overnight to ensure I didn't have any problems from the anesthesia, but that is the only reason.  Excellent outcome, by the way.  Good luck!

There's little point in arguing with them. It's just a money-making scam but I would have to return to be checked anyway. Whether that is usually the next day or in two weeks isn't clear as people's experience has varied. It's only 1700 for a private room, but I expect to be bored senseless.  

21 hours ago, ozimoron said:

You don't go home straight away in the rest of the world. In Australia you will spend some time in recovery then under a period of supervision which is not short and finally would have to have a person arrive to collect you who identifies themselves to the hospital staff and signs a declaration that they will stay with you and observe you for 24 hours and warns of criminal penalties for failure to do so. Otherwise you stay overnight.

That sounds like overkill, BUT!

In any event it is extremely rare for Thais to have private insurance. Unnecessary since all are covered under either Thai SS or the universal (AKA "30 baht") scheme.  Both is which cover both in and outpatient. 

In addition it would be a rare inpatuent only  private policy that does not cover day surgeries. 

3 hours ago, mariusTenche said:

Hi Barry, 

As I do have the same condition please let me know the name of the hospital wich quoted 25000.

Appreciate your feedback 

I'm not sure. There are two private hospitals in Kalasin, and the older one is the one I went to. The new one is probably more expensive. The government hospital as well as the private one I went to quoted 25,000.

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No. And interesting info on the eye drops 'dosage'. Thanks.

I had Cataract Surgery only 3 weeks ago

Anesthetic used was drops which allowed me to return to normal within a matter of just an hour or so, and therefore could return home.

Injection Anesthetic takes longer to wear off - hence the possibility of an overnight Hospital stay.

I was given some Steroid+ Antibiotic combined drops to use when I left the Hospital, however they did not perform for me and upon my visit one week later, the pressure was over 20 so the drops were changed and after a further 7 days pressure was good

• Thanks 2

Need Cataracts removed in both eyes, but until it is a big problem then  wait until such time says eye Dr  [Both at Chula and Eye Hospital Pinkloa] 

Chula [Red Cross]   said 13 - 15,000 baht per eye, No overnight for the Op, + best to have other eye done 3 weeks later

You have a big white eye pad stuck over eye then go back following day.....  The question would be returning home... = walk to underground + underground 45 min + Purple line to end = another 45 mins + Taxi 30 + mins  + same going back next day....   Maybe get Hotel room nearby 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I do believe you are mistaken. 

Comprehensive insurance covers all your healthcare expenses in Thailand, both in-patient and out-patient (OPD)

I believe I am not, mine doesn't cover OPD as i didn't opt to pay the premium.

• Agree 1