March 12, 20242 yr These kitchen tap valves are constantly failing and it seems the only place to find them is at major hardware stores like Thaiwatsadu or Homepro. These fit the standard U shape kitchen taps, so hardly rare, but tried 3 local hardware shops this morning, none have them. You'd think I was asking for a part for the space shuttle.
March 12, 20242 yr Popular Post Just now, giddyup said: These kitchen tap valves are constantly failing and it seems the only place to find them is at major hardware stores like Thaiwatsadu or Homepro. These fit the standard U shape kitchen taps, so hardly rare, but tried 3 local hardware shops this morning, none have them. You'd think I was asking for a part for the space shuttle. I just bought some on Lazada, though mine had an extra thread so came from China through Lazada. Just be careful as measurements differ. Look for the ad with measurements shown..
March 12, 20242 yr Author Just now, transam said: I just bought some on Lazada, though mine had an extra thread so came from China through Lazada. Just be careful as measurements differ. Look for the ad with measurements shown.. I had two new ones that I'd bought from Lazada previously, but when I went to change it I found they wouldn't screw in, and the thread was much shorter than the original. Problem is the tap is now leaking like crazy, so waiting another week or so to be delivered from China is out of the question. The kitchen tap has a shut off valve under the sink, but of course it's frozen and won't move.
March 12, 20242 yr Just now, giddyup said: I had two new ones that I'd bought from Lazada previously, but when I went to change it I found they wouldn't screw in, and the thread was much shorter than the original. Problem is the tap is now leaking like crazy, so waiting another week or so to be delivered from China is out of the question. The kitchen tap has a shut off valve under the sink, but of course it's frozen and won't move. Turn the mains off, pull the old valve apart, probably one of 2 "O" rings letting water bye. I took the rings off, carefully put a bit of glue in the ring groove, then put them back on. Bit of grease on the rings, reassemble.. I fixed mine a couple of times until it didn't work. An easy job...
March 12, 20242 yr Popular Post Sometimes it's quicker to buy the whole bloody tap. Yes a pain in the ass but then job is done. I'd probably do more research on Lazada to get correct model and order 2 or 3 as spares.
March 12, 20242 yr Author Just now, Korat Kiwi said: Sometimes it's quicker to buy the whole bloody tap. Yes a pain in the ass but then job is done. I'd probably do more research on Lazada to get correct model and order 2 or 3 as spares. There doesn't seem to be a local supplier on Lazada, they all come from China, and delivery can be at least a week, so it probably means a trip to Home Pro. I have replaced the whole tap 3 times, so I have two (now 3) spare taps that only need valves.
March 12, 20242 yr Popular Post 22 minutes ago, giddyup said: These kitchen tap valves are constantly failing and it seems the only place to find them is at major hardware stores like Thaiwatsadu or Homepro. These fit the standard U shape kitchen taps, so hardly rare, but tried 3 local hardware shops this morning, none have them. You'd think I was asking for a part for the space shuttle. Its too hi tech for Thailand, most taps and plumbing fittings here are made to a price , a very cheap price and are often junk.
March 12, 20242 yr Just now, giddyup said: There doesn't seem to be a local supplier on Lazada, they all come from China, and delivery can be at least a week, so it probably means a trip to Home Pro. I have replaced the whole tap 3 times, so I have two (now 3) spare taps that only need valves. Yep looks like HomePro is definitely on the radar. I'm just surprised the valves are giving out so often. I was of the belief that these ceramic valves were the bee knees vs the old washer type. At least you don't have to turn the tap a thousand times to get the water out. But they should at least seal properly.
March 12, 20242 yr 3 minutes ago, giddyup said: There doesn't seem to be a local supplier on Lazada, they all come from China, and delivery can be at least a week, so it probably means a trip to Home Pro. I have replaced the whole tap 3 times, so I have two (now 3) spare taps that only need valves. Ive found for many things here I will often buy 2 for the inevitable at least that way I have time to get spare parts "if" available.
March 12, 20242 yr They sell those valves in some MR D.I.Y stores always worth scouring their isles to see the mind boggling wonders available. I'm always reminded of Weird Al's Hardware store song. Edited March 12, 20242 yr by johng
March 12, 20242 yr 4 minutes ago, giddyup said: There doesn't seem to be a local supplier on Lazada, they all come from China, and delivery can be at least a week, so it probably means a trip to Home Pro. I have replaced the whole tap 3 times, so I have two (now 3) spare taps that only need valves. No. If you have replaced the whole tap, you have a working tap and two taps for the rubbish bin.
March 12, 20242 yr Author 5 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said: Its too hi tech for Thailand, most taps and plumbing fittings here are made to a price , a very cheap price and are often junk. I have American Standard taps in both bathrooms and neither have failed or drip in 14 years. I don't know if that is a premium brand, but they have performed faultlessly.
March 12, 20242 yr Author 4 minutes ago, NanLaew said: No. If you have replaced the whole tap, you have a working tap and two taps for the rubbish bin. I begrudge throwing something away if it can be fixed cheaply and easily, in this case for a 50 baht valve.
March 12, 20242 yr 2 minutes ago, giddyup said: I have American Standard taps in both bathrooms and neither have failed or drip in 14 years. I don't know if that is a premium brand, but they have performed faultlessly. The cartridges you show I believe are ceramic. these things dont suffer any muck easily. I doubt American Standard are made to an American standard if you know what I mean, Chrome plating seems to not last long either, often bubbling up , never seen that in the UK Edited March 12, 20242 yr by Rampant Rabbit
March 12, 20242 yr Popular Post One problem I noticed is a lime build-up between the ceramic seats and the brass body, the ceramics then don't move very well, the other thing I have done at times is to put a thin stainless steel washer between the ceramic seat and the "rubber" that seal the unit against the tap body. This puts a bit more pressure onto the interface between the ceramic disks. But you're right, they can sometimes give a very short life somewhat like LED globes that are supposed to last for thousands of hours - which they never do.
March 12, 20242 yr Author 4 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said: The cartridges you show I believe are ceramic. these things dont suffer any muck easily. I doubt American Standard are made to an American standard if you know what I mean, Chrome plating seems to not last long either, often bubbling up , never seen that in the UK Well, they show no pitting or leaking in 14 years, so the quality has to be better than OK.
March 12, 20242 yr 36 minutes ago, giddyup said: it seems the only place to find them is at major hardware stores like Thaiwatsadu or Homepro That reminds me when I bought a vacuum cleaner in HomePro. Sometime later I needed new bags for that cleaner and I went back to the same HomePro to buy the bags. They didn't have the bags, no bags for any brand, like: just buy a new one. At the end I bought new bags at Electrolux which is near my home. TiT.
March 12, 20242 yr 40 minutes ago, giddyup said: but tried 3 local hardware shops this morning, none have them In general, I have good experience asking the motorcycle taxi riders who are everywhere (at least in my area). They often know where to buy such things in the area.
March 12, 20242 yr Author Just now, OneMoreFarang said: In general, I have good experience asking the motorcycle taxi riders who are everywhere (at least in my area). They often know where to buy such things in the area. I don't think this type of valve (cartridge) is familiar to Thais in my area. Most of those types of taps are used in falang kitchens.
March 12, 20242 yr 5 minutes ago, giddyup said: Well, they show no pitting or leaking in 14 years, so the quality has to be better than OK. Most likely but I still find a lot of stuff here junk. I have some Hans Grohe bought from Germany here in a box for a house I never built, Ill install them somewhere one day
March 12, 20242 yr Popular Post 4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said: In general, I have good experience asking the motorcycle taxi riders who are everywhere (at least in my area). They often know where to buy such things in the area. This reminds me of ....................
March 12, 20242 yr Author 35 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said: Yep looks like HomePro is definitely on the radar. I'm just surprised the valves are giving out so often. I was of the belief that these ceramic valves were the bee knees vs the old washer type. At least you don't have to turn the tap a thousand times to get the water out. But they should at least seal properly. I have my doubts if they are actually ceramic, just looks like white plastic to me.
March 12, 20242 yr 1 hour ago, giddyup said: I had two new ones that I'd bought from Lazada previously, but when I went to change it I found they wouldn't screw in, and the thread was much shorter than the original. Problem is the tap is now leaking like crazy, so waiting another week or so to be delivered from China is out of the question. The kitchen tap has a shut off valve under the sink, but of course it's frozen and won't move. Time for some maintenance. Or just replace the Tap with a new one, they are all coming very cheap.
March 12, 20242 yr 19 minutes ago, giddyup said: I don't think this type of valve (cartridge) is familiar to Thais in my area. Most of those types of taps are used in falang kitchens. They are all similar threads..My taps cost a lot of money 17 years back, porcelain with brass/gunmetal internals, the valves I bought from China are identical, my guess is all manufacturers probably use the same valve. I bought a pair with the extra thread, delivered to my door from China cost around 180 baht...
March 12, 20242 yr 19 minutes ago, giddyup said: I have my doubts if they are actually ceramic, just looks like white plastic to me. Ceramic. At Lazada you can even get the tiny bits separately. Order two dozens or shipment will be more expensive than the goods 😄
March 12, 20242 yr Author 10 minutes ago, transam said: They are all similar threads..My taps cost a lot of money 17 years back, porcelain with brass/gunmetal internals, the valves I bought from China are identical, my guess is all manufacturers probably use the same valve. I bought a pair with the extra thread, delivered to my door from China cost around 180 baht... The two I got from China had a shorter thread and I couldn't get it to catch on the tap threads. I didn't want to force it and strip threads.
March 12, 20242 yr Spare parts at the usual home stores? Good luck. Never seen such tiny bits. I guess a good walk in Bangkok Chinatown could help. I have ordered such stuff at Lazada. BE AWARE: there are at least four different size parts looking similar. The joke as such: even the diameter of the knurling wheel(?) is in two different sizes. Had one too big for the handle. Edited March 12, 20242 yr by KhunBENQ
March 12, 20242 yr Author 3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said: Ceramic. At Lazada you can even get the tiny bits separately. Order two dozens or shipment will be more expensive than the goods 😄 I did buy the kits originally but it's nearly as cheap, and less fiddly, to buy the whole cartridge.
March 12, 20242 yr 1 hour ago, transam said: Turn the mains off, pull the old valve apart, probably one of 2 "O" rings letting water bye. I took the rings off, carefully put a bit of glue in the ring groove, then put them back on. Bit of grease on the rings, reassemble.. I fixed mine a couple of times until it didn't work. An easy job... Mr.DIY sells O rings of different sizes in a packet. You might get lucky. Not you actually the other technically challenged ones
Create an account or sign in to comment