Why are these tap valves so hard to find?

giddyup

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

BE AWARE:

there are at least four different size parts looking similar.

Yes that is very true I got caught out myself   luckily though I had bought 2 different types and the other one fitted.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

The two I got from China had a shorter thread and I couldn't get it to catch on the tap threads. I didn't want to force it and strip threads.

As I said you order from an ad where they give measurements, take your one out and compare.......

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Mr.DIY sells O rings of different sizes in a packet. You might get lucky. Not you actually the other technically challenged ones

I tried that, none fitted..

22 minutes ago, transam said:

As I said you order from an ad where they give measurements, take your one out and compare.......

I haven't seen any ads that give thread length.

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Post a photo of your valve, I will find one..........😋

I'm going to take it to Homepro tomorrow and try and find an exact match.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some made from 304 stainless steel. Better?

ventil.jpg

In my opinion,due to the lack of consistency in water supplies here, brass is the better option. We have well water, and even with the water treatment system, it plays havoc with anything metal. Even stainless rusts, which brass will not.

• Agree 1

When I lived in a condo in Ari I had an American standard kitchen tap. When it started to drip I tried to find a spare valve and failed, som weeks later it was leaking more than just dripping. I took the valve out and tried to find a spare. When I could not find I in desperation soaked the valve with WD40, open and closed it a few times, rinsed it and put it back. Believe it or not I worked perfectly, not a single drop when the valve closed, and I lived in that condo about 4 years after my WD40 repair and it never started to drip again. Might be something worth to try.

Cheers

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have American Standard taps in both bathrooms and neither have failed or drip in 14 years. I don't know if that is a premium brand, but they have performed faultlessly.

Yes, good brands like American Standard, Hansgrohe are great stuff. But of course at a cost.

Edited by ravip

21 hours ago, transam said:

Post a photo of your valve, I will find one..........😋

Would you believe Homepro doesn't carry those valves, obviously they want to sell you a whole new tap for 300 baht and up. So I bought another tap, this gives me 3 spares if I can find valves that fit.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Would you believe Homepro doesn't carry those valves, obviously they want to sell you a whole new tap for 300 baht and up. So I bought another tap, this gives me 3 spares if I can find valves that fit.

I looked in all the DIY stores, that's why I ended up on Lazada. I didn't want to throw my taps out, they are porcelain in the shape of a jumping Dolphin, which fits over a really stout brass internals. I bought 3, but when renovating one, I dropped it...😱

Anyhoo, the other 2 are back to new again.. 

On another note, my gas hob is of similar age, the sensor that keeps the flame alight failed, could not find replacements, until.....Lazada, yes from China, exactly the same sensor measurements, think were 45 bht each.....😝

So, stripped the whole thing down, painted the internals, refurbished what I could and installed the sensors.....Great........😋

17 minutes ago, transam said:

I looked in all the DIY stores, that's why I ended up on Lazada. I didn't want to throw my taps out, they are porcelain in the shape of a jumping Dolphin, which fits over a really stout brass internals. I bought 3, but when renovating one, I dropped it...😱

Anyhoo, the other 2 are back to new again.. 

On another note, my gas hob is of similar age, the sensor that keeps the flame alight failed, could not find replacements, until.....Lazada, yes from China, exactly the same sensor measurements, think were 45 bht each.....😝

So, stripped the whole thing down, painted the internals, refurbished what I could and installed the sensors.....Great........😋

Lazada can be a godsend no doubt. Not sure what I'm going to do with 3 spare kitchen taps though, all with new valves.

8 hours ago, Retfed50 said:

In my opinion,due to the lack of consistency in water supplies here, brass is the better option. We have well water, and even with the water treatment system, it plays havoc with anything metal. Even stainless rusts, which brass will not.

Some of the brass faucet inserts in areas that use our well water have suffered from dezincification which causes the insert body to become brittle and fail. The solution was to replace these inserts with stainless steel.

Below photo shows a brass insert that has become brittle and cracked alongside a stainless steel replacement from China. We have machined down the spindle of the replacement to fit the faucet lever. It can be difficult finding inserts that are an exact match.

insert.thumb.jpg.b58f74dec0c863cb71a691374902f775.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2024 at 1:18 PM, Korat Kiwi said:

Sometimes it's quicker to buy the whole bloody tap. 

Yes a pain in the ass but then job is done. 

I'd probably do more research on Lazada to get correct model and order 2 or 3 as spares. 

Always good to have spares.

On 3/12/2024 at 1:16 PM, transam said:

Turn the mains off, pull the old valve apart, probably one of 2 "O" rings letting water bye. I took the rings off, carefully put a bit of glue in the ring groove, then put them back on. Bit of grease on the rings, reassemble..

I fixed mine a couple of times until it didn't work. An easy job...

There are metric O-ring assortments sold on Lozada. I've used mine several times.

Just try buying them locally. Apparently they are considered space shuttle parts too.

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2024 at 7:10 AM, giddyup said:

I had two new ones that I'd bought from Lazada previously, but when I went to change it I found they wouldn't screw in, and the thread was much shorter than the original. Problem is the tap is now leaking like crazy, so waiting another week or so to be delivered from China is out of the question. The kitchen tap has a shut off valve under the sink, but of course it's frozen and won't move.

wd 40 works wonders