Question about US Social Security benefits for Thai wife.

Nothing. Only if you have a minor child who has been registered at the US Embassy and is a US citizen. Then that child would receive approximately half of what your benefit was until the age of 18. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Tedly said:

I was told that she would have had to have lived in the US for 5 years, then would be eligible, but a lot of paperwork and documents required to prove it.

When she is living the 5 years, husband must still be alive. If he dies during this time, no $$$$.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, doctorbailey said:

Hi, You will need to visit the SSA website and carefully read. Benefits depend on length of marriage, age, children, and work history. Other people have posted some good links such as collecting Social Security abroad. I have attached a link geared toward women but would apply to widowers as well. In Thailand you have to go through the US Embassy in Manila for benefits and they don't take calls despite saying Tuesday and Thursday mornings. You have to email them and then they will set up a time for a teleconference in the months ahead. They are stretched beyond thin...

A friend recently passed and his widow is 55 years old. She is eligible for the $255 lump-sum survivor benefit now and a widow's monthly benefit of 71% of her husbands benefit when she reaches 60 years of age. She is also a dual USA Thai citizen and worked 40 units in the USA. She will be able to collect the higher of her own benefit or her former husband's starting at 62+, I believe their is an increase at age 67 for the surviving widow's benefit. It would have been nice for her if they had continued to pay into a life insurance plan to get her through until then. Something folks might want to consider. You wouldn't need a crazy expensive and dangerous policy, just something to hold folks over until benefits start if a significant age gap.

I recommend all Americans and their wives get an email account in their name, set up a SSA online account with address and bank details, learn the multistep verification processes, and log in regularly to see what the benefits are and when they become available (IDme and Login.gov). It takes a fair bit of effort but that is the only way.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10044.pdf

https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security/

<fbu.manila AT ssa.gov>

I have found I’d Me nearly impossible to register with from Thailand. They require proof of residence in the US. They rejected my voter ID ( one of their listed proofs) because it has both my US address of record and my Thai mailing address. Impossible to reach a human operative.

20 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

If an American that is getting Social Security dies, while living in Thailand would his Thai wife be entitled to the benefits ? Even though she has never lived in the states ? 

No. And I have so informed my Thai Wife and Thai Stepdaughter. She will receive only the remainder of what I bring to Thailand. Hopefully, I will be able to rebuild savings as I just spent down nearly 1 million on the purchase of our home (yes, in her name).

• Agree 1

My wife and I are currently going through the process now. The ONLY 2 ways for her to live in the states for 5+ years is via green card and gaining US citizenship which requires a green card first.

The people at the SSA office here told me that she can only claim my benefits for the rest of her life if she remains living in the US with a valid green card OR becomes a citizen and returns to the states every year.

ALL time spent here on a tourist visa does NOT count towards the 5 years.

It took us 1 year (with the help of a lawyer) to get her green card. (people have done it all on their own but 1 misstep and you start all over again)

It also makes a difference on the forms filed whether you and she are in the states or in Thailand so research it well. (we found out we were doing it wrong which is why we brought in a lawyer)

If you're going to do it here bring 100x the proof of marriage that you normally need at Thai immigration including pictures from your 1st date to last night's supper. Have 5-10 friends/family with firsthand knowledge of your relationship write support letters for you as well.

I for 1, will never complain about "That 1 more form" Thai immigration asks for when we are done and finally move back home.

Good Luck :wai: