Extension of visa for retirement at CW

Went to CW today with an online appointment (evidence by a printout of the appointment). In and out with extension in 40 minutes.

The documents I handed over were:

1. Passport 2. Copies of its main page, the visa, last extension, last entry, TM47 (90 days). 3. Completed application (TM7) with photo attached.

4. Bank letter dated today with 3-month statement attached. 5. Bank book. 6. Copies of bank book pages, showing withdrawal today. 7. Copy of house owner's ID. 8. Copy of house owner's house registration. 9. Tenancy agreement. 10. Copy of tenancy agreement. 11. Hand drawn map showing route from house to CW. 12. Signed copies of the 3 additional forms that are now routinely required - "Criteria for consideration", "Acknowledgment of terms" and "Acknowledgment of penalties".

I had a TM30 signed by the house owner, but was told it was not required.

N.B. About 6 months ago, my old bank book was full so the bank issued a new one. At about the same time, I got a new passport. When I went to CW to have the visa entered into the new passport, the IO wanted to see the old and new bank books. I asked why and she explained that their regulations required this to ensure that the bank balance had remained correct since the last extension. Luckily, I had both books with me. Today, the IO who was checking the documents of those with an online appointment said that I had to produce the old bank book (or a statement from the bank, if I no longer had the old book) because "It's the regulations". I did not have the old book and pointed out three times that I had produced it when my new passport was shown to Immigration in accordance with their regulation. Eventually she took me to her superior who seemed to accept that having to produce a deceased bank book twice was overkill.

Apart from the hitch over the old bank book, a good experience.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, oldestswinger said:

7. Copy of house owner's ID. 8. Copy of house owner's house registration. 9. Tenancy agreement. 10. Copy of tenancy agreement.

You had a TM30 filed?, if you did, was the above asked for or volunteered by you?

Is a TM30 not enough now? Do we have to again show the same documents at extension time that were shown to obtain a TM30?

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

OP, really good report. 

Regarding the TM30 not required. That is the case (at CW) despite many posting TM30 was required.

You provided a lease and that should be sufficient.  Also more recent at CW (last couple of years) is required TM47 receipt.

Point 7. should not have been necessary.  

Good you are getting the message out there that bank books are required for transfer of stamps when you renew passport.

I did this last week and just by luck had my bank books with me.

She checked the balances very carefully. 

Thanks for this update.  IMHO, these trip reports are the most valuable threads in this part of the AN Forum.

Just a few notes/queries.  I assume you are using the money-in-the-bank method (i.e., with 800K in a regular or fixed deposits account in a local Thai bank).

In my experience over the past ten years, Immo/CW has never asked for anything related to housing (other than the hand-drawn map).  No TM 30, rent agreement or other documentation on living arrangagments was asked for.

Also, I have found that they like the one-year bank statement which lists, on a single page, the running balance in the bank account which, in my case, is a fixed deposit with SCB.

They also wanted to photocopy all pages of the FD account bank book, even though it went beyond one year in the past.

Once again, thanks for the update.

• Agree 1

Typically, a 12 month bank statement is what's required to ensure you maintained at least an 800K balance for the 3 months immediately following the date that your previous extension was issued, that your balance did not fall under 400K for the next 7 months after that, and that your balance was back up to 800K for the two months prior to today. I'm actually a bit surprised they even accepted the 3 month statement. Anyway, if you had provided a 12 month statement to the IO with all your other documents (same cost as a 3 month statement at most banks) then you probably wouldn't have run into this issue of them wanting to see the old bankbook. 

Also, it sounds like you might be using the same bank account for maintaining your 800K as you do for your regular expenditures, just based on the fact that the bankbook filled up. Many people often have two separate accounts at the same bank, one used for visa purposes, and the other one just for daily spending. Keeping the funds in separate accounts helps reduce the number of entries that will appear in the 800K account and the book from filling up, but also helps prevent ever accidentally going below the 800K requirement from any daily expenditures made from the account. 

Edited by TylerBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, TylerBKK said:

Also, it sounds like you might be using the same bank account for maintaining your 800K as you do for your regular expenditures, just based on the fact that the bankbook filled up.

No, the account is only for visa purposes. The book was full because I've been using it for several years.

About the 3 months after extension is granted. I had an emergency and drew 150.000K out of the 800K one month before the 3 month date.

But, every month I transfer in over 65K to the bank account I use only for immigration.

Every 3 months I go to Bangkok Bank and get credit advices that cover deposits made for those months.

I will have more than one years worth on my next extension visit. 

The 800K is back in the account 4 months before the next visit...but there is that early withdrawl.

I read somewhere that credit advices.(.free)...are as good as a bank statement..when using the monthly transfer method.

Yea or nay

2 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

I read somewhere that credit advices.(.free)...are as good as a bank statement..when using the monthly transfer method.

Yea or nay

The credit advice is more to show that the funds came from abroad. 

Personally I would provide credit advice and statement.  

Your current extension was based on money in bank method. 

Doubt they will accept you switching to monthly income method. 

• Agree 1

Get ALL your documents in order and it's easy, 45 minutes in Samut Prakan last week! And to think fools pay up to 30,000 baht agency fees for something they could do themselves for 1900 baht for visa and 3800 baht for multi entry! If you haven't got a spare 800,000 baht at retirement you must be a loser!

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Get ALL your documents in order and it's easy, 45 minutes in Samut Prakan last week! And to think fools pay up to 30,000 baht agency fees for something they could do themselves for 1900 baht for visa and 3800 baht for multi entry! If you haven't got a spare 800,000 baht at retirement you must be a loser!

Spare? Whats the interest rate for spare cash these days, better than for the normal  stuff... 0%.?

Just now, Olmate said:

Spare? Whats the interest rate for spare cash these days, better than for the normal  stuff... 0%.?

The rate if you don't stump up the 800.000 baht is NO visa or an extortionate agent!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldestswinger said:

Yes, 800K in FD with SCB. Immigration only require the bank statement to be for the last 3 months.

I have never been asked for a bank statement at CW, only a bank letter and an updated bank book. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I have never been asked for a bank statement at CW, only a bank letter and an updated bank book. 

When I went to get the bank letter, they just did a 3 month statement, this was retained by immigration in SP.

5 minutes ago, 2baht said:

I certainly didn't miss English classes! Where is the discrepancy in my figures???

It's referred to as "opportunity cost" 

Try working out compound interest on 800k at 7% (conservative) for 10 years.

Back to the OP...some posts in thread including OP, seem to refer to FD account. 

3 month bank statements may be insufficient if using savings account.

Even if dedicated account.

Last week I had stamps transferred to new passport.  

I had chat with one of senior io. 

She wants me to provide 12 month bank statement for my next extension.

Money in bank method CW

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's referred to as "opportunity cost" 

Try working out compound interest on 800k at 7% (conservative) for 10 years.

Back to the OP...some posts in thread including OP, seem to refer to FD account. 

3 month bank statements may be insufficient if using savings account.

Even if dedicated account.

Last week I had stamps transferred to new passport.  

I had chat with one of senior io. 

She wants me to provide 12 month bank statement for my next extension.

Money in bank method CW

I have ample means in a saving account. I'm not worried about interest, I get that elsewhere.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, 2baht said:

When I went to get the bank letter, they just did a 3 month statement, this was retained by immigration in SP.

You're fortunate that Samut Prakhan aren't checking you met the financial criteria for issuing the previous year's extension (not a visa).

21 minutes ago, 2baht said:

I have ample means in a saving account. I'm not worried about interest, I get that elsewhere.

But dipping out in Thailand.

Edited by Liquorice

Just now, Liquorice said:

You're fortunate that Samut Prakhan aren't checking you met the financial criteria for issuing the previous year's extension (not a visa).

I did exactly the same last year in Rayong, absolutely no issues! They did check!

Just now, Liquorice said:

Not with a 3-month bank statement, they didn't.

Copy of every passbook page as well, or maybe it was a 1 yr statement, I'll look next time.

1 hour ago, 2baht said:

I use an agent & its 8K (800K in the bank all year round) + 4K for the Multi-Rentry so an extra 6,300B.

Worth it to me for the convenience, others may prefer to do it themselves, nothing foolish/smart about either option, it all comes down to how you value your time Vs your money.

if I was worried about what amounts to 525B PM then I’d be having 2nd thoughts about living here. 

As always, to each his own…

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/13/2024 at 7:25 AM, 2baht said:

on what day did you go and what time ?

SP is a S>H>I>T>H>O>LE

takes at least 3-4 hours

last time when all things were 'done' (pay/photo/... at nr 14-15), waited an extra 90 minutes just to get passport back

• Sad 1

On 3/12/2024 at 3:32 PM, oldestswinger said:

1. Passport

2. Copies of its main page, the visa, last extension, last entry, TM47 (90 days).

3. Completed application (TM7) with photo attached.

4. Bank letter dated today with 3-month statement attached.

5. Bank book.

6. Copies of bank book pages, showing withdrawal today.

7. Copy of house owner's ID.

8. Copy of house owner's house registration.

9. Tenancy agreement.

10. Copy of tenancy agreement.

11. Hand drawn map showing route from house to CW.

12. Signed copies of the 3 additional forms that are now routinely required - "Criteria for consideration", "Acknowledgment of terms" and "Acknowledgment of penalties".

Regarding the TM47 receipt, I never take this and never been asked for it. I assumed that they can see in their system if I'm current on that.

Regarding the "tenancy agreement", I assume this means a lease?  I have never been asked for a lease.  I live with my family, so how would that be possible anyway?  Is my father-in-law supposed to be charging me rent?  I just take a photocopy of his ID card and housebook along with a statement from a notary (since FIL doesn't accompany me to CW).

Regarding the three additional forms - I do remember signing some extra documents that were hastily put in front of me as she was doing the dance of the seven rubber stamps all over my paperwork. I'd like to have those documents ready this time. Can I download them from somewhere?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, phaholyothin said:

Regarding the TM47 receipt, I never take this and never been asked for it.

Required at CW for 2+ years now.

1 hour ago, phaholyothin said:

I live with my family, so how would that be possible anyway?  Is my father-in-law supposed to be charging me rent?  I just take a photocopy of his ID card and housebook along with a statement from a notary

Nothing to do with rent. The photocopy of ID card and housebook sufficient.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2024 at 3:32 PM, oldestswinger said:

Went to CW today with an online appointment (evidence by a printout of the appointment). In and out with extension in 40 minutes.

The documents I handed over were:

1. Passport 2. Copies of its main page, the visa, last extension, last entry, TM47 (90 days). 3. Completed application (TM7) with photo attached.

4. Bank letter dated today with 3-month statement attached. 5. Bank book. 6. Copies of bank book pages, showing withdrawal today. 7. Copy of house owner's ID. 8. Copy of house owner's house registration. 9. Tenancy agreement. 10. Copy of tenancy agreement. 11. Hand drawn map showing route from house to CW. 12. Signed copies of the 3 additional forms that are now routinely required - "Criteria for consideration", "Acknowledgment of terms" and "Acknowledgment of penalties".

I had a TM30 signed by the house owner, but was told it was not required.

N.B. About 6 months ago, my old bank book was full so the bank issued a new one. At about the same time, I got a new passport. When I went to CW to have the visa entered into the new passport, the IO wanted to see the old and new bank books. I asked why and she explained that their regulations required this to ensure that the bank balance had remained correct since the last extension. Luckily, I had both books with me. Today, the IO who was checking the documents of those with an online appointment said that I had to produce the old bank book (or a statement from the bank, if I no longer had the old book) because "It's the regulations". I did not have the old book and pointed out three times that I had produced it when my new passport was shown to Immigration in accordance with their regulation. Eventually she took me to her superior who seemed to accept that having to produce a deceased bank book twice was overkill.

Apart from the hitch over the old bank book, a good experience.

This is the biggest problem isn’t it. “It’s the regulations” is fine to say but where can you find them. The regulations should be unambiguous and posted on the Thai immigration web site so we can all follow them correctly 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Not just us but also immigration officers! 😁

The frustrating thing is that there seems to be no appeals procedure. Maybe there is but it’s not advertised and I don’t imagine it would get you anywhere other than deported 😂😂