Temple turmoil: Thai trans troupe takes abbot to court over image mockery

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

I am willing to live in hell forever…”

Without reincarnation, how does this Buddhist guy pretend to be born again... Perhaps in form of a ugly macho bigot ladyboy.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

picture of seven transwomen performing a traditional Thai dance in angel costumes on his Facebook account.

So they are angry , what them Blokes are doing is impersonating Females  And  Angels Isn't that against the Law? Lock them up in Mens Clothing.

Yea, what do I know  anything goes in Los

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Thai Buddhism is not the real Buddhism...It is a mixture of all kind of religions. That is probably why monks act different than real Buddism monks.

That's a good chuckle. Thanks.

You clearly are unaware of the roots of Bhuddism and how its evolved in different ways. Also, it's not considered a religion.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I know Buddhism is a way of life, but here in Thailand it is a religion..I see people praying at Buddha images sometimes more than other religious people, but I am wondering if Thai people know it is a way of living....

It's not a religion. Simple. 

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Absolutely unacceptable comment from a monk. His job is promoting the temple and it's events, not insulting performers that are trying to help the temple.

Certainly not reflecting: Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action ...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Seven Thai transgender dancers filed a lawsuit against the abbot of Sophon Dhammaram Temple in the Isaan province of Surin for insulting them by sharing their pictures and making fun of their appearance.

The abbot, Wittaya Sophonwanno, on March 11, shared a picture of seven transwomen performing a traditional Thai dance in angel costumes on his Facebook account. In the caption, he poked fun at them.

“If angels look like this, I am willing to live in hell forever…”

The post gained attention when one of the transgender dancers shared it on her Facebook, leading to complaints from her followers and the other six dancers in the picture. One of the dancers made her feelings known.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ วิทยา หลวงแอร์ ผิวงาม

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-13

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Click here:

I like the monk's humour, but living in Thailand I'll condemn it.🙏

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

It's not 'a religion'

That's definitely open to conjecture. 

Followers of Buddhism don’t acknowledge a supreme god or deity. They instead focus on achieving enlightenment—a state of inner peace and wisdom. When followers reach this spiritual echelon, they’re said to have experienced nirvana.

https://www.history.com/topics/religion/buddhism#section_1

But it is also noted on google, Wikipedia, and practically every known search engine as a religion.

If you worship something, as they do, then it has to be seen as a religion

Only some scholars deny that fact

My G,F some days, says she will go to up there, as in heaven and the next she will say i don't want to come back as a fly

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

the next she will say i don't want to come back as a fly

Well at least the life of a fly is quite short  then she can reincarnate again and again working her way up to enlightenment and supposedly no more suffering.

Have you asked her what she thinks she has "done wrong" to come back as a fly ?