Pain in the neck

5 minutes ago, still kicking said:

My wife is a nurse 

Go to an orthopedist, not massage or any chiropractor, you had this pain to long, so take it seriously 

• Like 2

I would suggest a decent massage ! I dont mean one of these cosmetic feel good places, I mean a proper massage therapist. These issues are predominantly alignment-based, and massage combined with specific exercises aimed and releasing the neck and supporting tissue can help.

Just a suggestion

• Thumbs Up 1

You need to provide more infotmation:

Where exactly is the pain and what is it like? (Sharp, burning, aching etc?)

Does it radiate down your arm? Any numbness in the hand on that side?

Does it occur at any particular time of day or after any particular activity?

What have you tried for it so far, with what result? 

17 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I would suggest a decent massage ! I dont mean one of these cosmetic feel good places, I mean a proper massage therapist. These issues are predominantly alignment-based, and massage combined with specific exercises aimed and releasing the neck and supporting tissue can help.

Just a suggestion

Been there, done it. SO SO painful, but good results, so could be called a happy ending! Neck & shoulder massage Bht 400. 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You need to provide more infotmation:

Where exactly is the pain and what is it like? (Sharp, burning, aching etc?)

Does it radiate down your arm? Any numbness in the hand on that side?

Does it occur at any particular time of day or after any particular activity?

What have you tried for it so far, with what result? 

Sheryl, it is just an aching pain and I have it for a few months now. It is virtually on top of my neck just below my head. It is just on one spot on the lefthand side and not the whole neck. I use cream (similar to Tiger Balm) which I bought in Thailand. My wife (who is Thai) gave me a massage which makes it worst. When I put on the cream it feels better for a while, but it keeps coming back day after day. And no, the pain is just on one spot and not the whole left-hand site into my arm. I don't think it is related to my heart since I check my blood pressure daily which is normal, I guess (about 110-65) hope that information helps.

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Make sure you don’t have the aircon/fan aimed at you all night,,…...I was close to getting Bell’s Palsy once.

I am in the west I don't have an aircon and never use my fan even in 40 plus temperature. 

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I am in the west I don't have an aircon and never use my fan even in 40 plus temperature. 

40 plus……you must be wel’ard……I keep the whole house at 25C……no intentions of suffering in this climate.

15 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

40 plus……you must be wel’ard……I keep the whole house at 25C……no intentions of suffering in this climate.

My place is pretty cool, and I don't go out when it's hot. 

Are you stressed? Muscle relaxant tablets worked for me one time.

I only got the pain when I pulled up outside my workplace, doctor gave me some muscle relaxing tablets, after just 2 days the pain had gone, and never came back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Are you stressed? Muscle relaxant tablets worked for me one time.

I only got the pain when I pulled up outside my workplace, doctor gave me some muscle relaxing tablets, after just 2 days the pain had gone, and never came back. 

No, I am not stressed at all I don't work anymore I am on the pension. Go twice a year on holidays to Thailand since I still have Thai family and many friends there. 

1 minute ago, still kicking said:

No, I am not stressed at all I don't work anymore I am on the pension. Go twice a year on holidays to Thailand since I still have Thai family and many friends there. 

OK but they may still work, got to be worth a try. 

Just now, still kicking said:

OK I try but I am in the west do you remember the name?

No sorry it was a very long time ago in the UK, maybe a Pharmacy can help, you may need s script so a visit to a doctor anyway.

Take a look at your posture, ask your wife to watch you when you are walking, if you are leaning forward and dropping your head towards your chest it will sub consciously stay with you when you go to bed so straighten your back and raise your head on the pillow, you could even use a neck brace like the one used by people with spondylitis but only briefly no more than a week or two and only when you sleep.

Probably the best way to find out if you are doing this to any degree is to lie down flat on the floor and if it hurts to put your head down so much that you have to raise your legs to do it, there is your problem SO stay on the floor and relax your neck and when you feel comfortable slowly lower your legs until you are lying flat with your entire body in contact with the floor, then slowly move your head left to right shoulder to shoulder, if it hurts stop the movement at that point, but each time you do it try to move it a little further the idea of the exercise is to regain full movement in the neck do not raise your head off the floor to do this.

Do all of this as often as you like in a day and certainly every day and do not at any time force any part of the head movement further than is comfortable.

When getting back up again roll over onto your knees and get up.

It worked for me so Good luck.

PS

leaning forward and dropping the head towards the chest is an age thing so don’t be shy most of us do it but are not aware of it until someone tells us we are doing it.

Well, just today my wife has been to the hospital because of constant headaches and neck pain which has been going on for more than a year. She had an MRI scan and they discovered she has a herniated disc in her neck which she probably sustained from a fall 12 months ago when she slipped on spilt coffee. So, you need to go and see a doctor.

54 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I know that one, but as I said it only helps for a few hours then the pain comes back next day.

Ok, sounds to me like you have a nerve, that has been dislocated and is caught between two discs. Just a guess, but have it checked out.

On 3/14/2024 at 1:37 AM, treetops said:

That's nice, and she's probably more qualified than most on here to advise you, but it's also irrelevant to the advice to see a doctor.

you think so? changing diapers, or bed linnen makes her qualified ?

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2024 at 2:05 PM, still kicking said:

Sheryl, it is just an aching pain and I have it for a few months now. It is virtually on top of my neck just below my head. It is just on one spot on the lefthand side and not the whole neck. I use cream (similar to Tiger Balm) which I bought in Thailand. My wife (who is Thai) gave me a massage which makes it worst. When I put on the cream it feels better for a while, but it keeps coming back day after day. And no, the pain is just on one spot and not the whole left-hand site into my arm. I don't think it is related to my heart since I check my blood pressure daily which is normal, I guess (about 110-65) hope that information helps.

The question about arm pain had nothing to do with heart, pain radiating down the arm would be an indication of cervical spine nerve root compression.

Even though you do nto have it, several months of pain is long enough that you should see an orthopedic surgeon, have Xray and possibly MRI. If nothing serious found they will likely refer you to physiotherapist.

What sort of pillow top you have? Memory foam may help.

And make sure your computer screen is up level with your line of vision so that you are nto bending your head over it. If you use mainly phone, get a phone holder.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/15/2024 at 6:34 AM, john donson said:

you think so? changing diapers, or bed linnen makes her qualified ?

Is that even a serious question or just a poor attempt at shlt stirring?