Air Cooler: humidity just to 80%

Mother-in-law stole my indestructible fan and I was forced to find an alternative. So, I went to nearest Lotus and came out with a Hatari Air Cooler as an alternative to my A/C.

I have never had such an appliance before. In the normal fan function it is not bad, but in the 'cool' function, with water and gel, it brought the humidity in the room to 80%. 

Am I wrong to use it or are these appliances not suitable for Thailand's climate?

The cool function simply evaporates the water and blows it around your room.  So inevitably the humidity will increase.  Whether it is useful is moot, but they do seem to sell a lot of them here so must be something of value.  Personally I am happy with a fan.

• Agree 1

It works with water to cool so you would have a lot of humidity in the house, a fan was the best solution if you don't put an A/C

Or  re-stole it from your mother in law😁

Edited by BE88

34 minutes ago, BE88 said:

It works with water to cool so you would have a lot of humidity in the house, a fan was the best solution if you don't put an A/C

Or  re-stole it from your mother in law😁

That's impossibile, she has jaws bigger than a shark 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

not suitable for Thailand's climate

That is your answer - they are made for deserts.  Or for cooling outside on the pouch.   

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, zhounan said:

Am I wrong to use it or are these appliances not suitable for Thailand's climate?

You can use them, however for them to be really effective you need a low humidity, in Thailand the humidity is virtually never low, so to be efficient you can run a dehumidifier or you AC on dehumidify.

They work in the large indoor spaces where they are sold because they can’t run the humidity up much.

in California where the humidity is under 20% they are great as they cool and introduce needed humidity 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good news guys, I managed to sell the air cooler to an owner in the same building.

I only used it for 3 days and I give him a 400฿ discount, he accepted.

I plan to buy a fan. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, zhounan said:

Good news guys, I managed to sell the air cooler to an owner in the same building.

I only used it for 3 days and I give him a 400฿ discount, he accepted.

I plan to buy a fan. 

You already had a fan....just don't put water in it.

Edited by bluejets

• 4 weeks later...

most time of the year it doesn't work in Thailand, on the few days that humidity is low enough it'll be cold 'winter' that you won't need them

you can keep putting ice in the water box and it'll actually lower the temperature

outdoors or really well ventilated room is the only place they can be tolerated 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1