Rot.

dddave

I just read a current news item about 24 tons of pork, illegally imported from Brazil, being buried in a deep hole and covered over with soil.  I led me to wondering about what actually happens to that large a mass of meat as it putrefies under ground.  I'm aware, large animals die every day but the carcasses are usually stripped away pretty quickly by scavengers and insects.  Usually nothing but bones in short order.  It's this large a mass of flesh in one place that intrigues me.  Without oxygen just slowly rot? Turn into some kind of putrid liquid?  I would think it would be a threat to water supplies nearby.

Any knowledgeable thoughts?  

• Like 1

Earth has a rich complement of organisms which would slowly assimilate the feast of food they are presented with.

If it is buried near any aquifer, it would present a health risk.

It will all depends an the with and length of the hole .

If it is a wide hole, the meat can be spread out , maybe a ft thick, at which case the settling  in any particular are would be negligible. I am sure it would not be buried deep enough to affect water tables. 

IMO it would be good fertilizer, 

On 3/17/2024 at 11:08 PM, Lacessit said:

Earth has a rich complement of organisms which would slowly assimilate the feast of food they are presented with.

If it is buried near any aquifer, it would present a health risk.

Interesting , love your answer very intellectual

I'm currently reading the Psychometrics of soil if you want to download it .

Another member on here sent it to me