$22.00 Burrito in SF now, the world has gone mad.

La Vaca Birria, and customers aren’t always accepting of the change. So in a recent Instagram post, Lopez addressed a customer complaint about high prices and broke down the reasons his popular grilled cheese birria burrito has gone from $11 a couple of years ago to its current price of $22.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/why-this-sf-burrito-costs-22-i-hope-every-damn-mexican-restaurant-raises-their-prices/ar-BB1jKMFh

Newsom is such an idiot.

24 minutes ago, stoner said:

but the stock market is higher than ever.

Yes, bout the only good thing for me is my growing 401K, but Calif is like a social experiment gone terribly wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

That's in a nice restaurant. 

In relation to wages it's cheaper than Thailand. 2024 minimum wage as an example is 20US an hour. 70 minutes work for a security guard. Same security guard doing 70 minutes work in any major Thai city. His 60 bht won't get him a "renowned " restaurant's dish.

Edited by sidjameson
  • Haha 1

The security guard will need to pay income taxes, food tax, and tip before he can fully enjoy that burrito. 

I figure the $22 will go up to $36 before tax money. $4 tip, $3 food tax and then approx. 20-25% income tax on earnings.

Your security guard will need to work two hours for his lunch.  Beverage and any extras will bump the price up.

Edited by swerve

• 3 weeks later...

Prices for just about everything are going up in the US. Food, housing, utilities, insurance of any kind, medical expenses, etc. Many people can’t keep up and are running up credit card debt or cashing in retirement accounts just to pay the bills. 

I’m glad I’m not there right now. I suppose the situation will eventually sort itself out.  It’s not as if the country hasn’t been through periods of inflation before.  

I used to to live on Mission district burritos and also two dollar Mexican style Chinese rice plates. I think massive loaded burritos at the best places were about five bucks back then. Chips and salsa bar included. 

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2024 at 5:21 PM, swerve said:

The security guard will need to pay income taxes, food tax, and tip before he can fully enjoy that burrito. 

I figure the $22 will go up to $36 before tax money. $4 tip, $3 food tax and then approx. 20-25% income tax on earnings.

Your security guard will need to work two hours for his lunch.  Beverage and any extras will bump the price up.

Somewhere online, I saw a post about a steak bowl at a Chipotle restaurant in California. It was around $39, if I remember correctly. Granted, that’s less than I would usually spend at a Mexican restaurant for lunch and a beer or two. I guess the restaurant meal still seems like a better deal.  The last time I was in a Chipotle, back in 2023, a steak burrito was around $10.

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 3:00 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Yes, bout the only good thing for me is my growing 401K, but Calif is like a social experiment gone terribly wrong. 

Not about food but last year i went back to visit the kids ! We stopped in Walmart in San Diego to get some underwear and they were all locked up.

I asked why ,associate  said theft!

Mad isn’t it ,it’s upside down.

I stopped in Little Italy in San Diego and bought some Cannoli pastry, $100.00, back in the day it should  of been  $40.

Just got a First Class international Usps envelope from my daughter with my new debit card and a few pieces of mail $45 , it was $35 ,18 months ago.

Edited by riclag

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Was back in March. Paid ten dollars for a proper burrito (a la carte, take away) in South Orange County California. It was a yuppie carneceria. Imagine a proper one maybe eight. I bet they were half twenty years ago

Edited by Max_Headroom

On 7/8/2024 at 6:08 AM, Max_Headroom said:

Was back in March. Paid ten dollars for a proper burrito (a la carte, take away) in South Orange County California. It was a yuppie carneceria. Imagine a proper one maybe eight. I bet they were half twenty years ago

A restaurant I used to go to in Scottsdale is showing the current price of a Baja Burrito with blackened shrimp and two sides as $16.45. I guess if you added a large beer, tax, and a tip, lunch might end up costing you $25 or thereabouts.

IMG_0391.thumb.jpeg.028e77f201fea9f0121e7690c96f70da.jpeg

On 3/18/2024 at 2:34 PM, stoner said:

but the stock market is higher than ever.

Stock market prices are based on profit the company makes.

You didn't think their profits would be lower while increasing prices, way over what would be reasonable?

Nope they all make record profits, while the man in the street keeps less money in his pocket.

• Love It 1

33 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Stock market prices are based on profit the company makes.

You didn't think their profits would be lower while increasing prices, way over what would be reasonable?

Nope they all make record profits, while the man in the street keeps less money in his pocket.

But so many on here champion that as a big deal for the Biden administration.

11 hours ago, stoner said:

But so many on here champion that as a big deal for the Biden administration.

'Cause that's all they've got.  Completely ignoring all the Covid Biden Bucks that were spent on stock buybacks instead of keeping the peons employed like they promised.

Also ignoring that 89% of stock is owned by 10% of Americans.  So it's a win for the rich, but not for young people who haven't started to build their portfolios yet.

Popular here on AN because most of the posters are geezers who built their portfolio 20-50 years ago and are shielded from today's economic realities that youngsters are facing when they go out into the world.

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

'Cause that's all they've got.  Completely ignoring all the Covid Biden Bucks that were spent on stock buybacks instead of keeping the peons employed like they promised.

Also ignoring that 89% of stock is owned by 10% of Americans.  So it's a win for the rich, but not for young people who haven't started to build their portfolios yet.

Popular here on AN because most of the posters are geezers who built their portfolio 20-50 years ago and are shielded from today's economic realities that youngsters are facing when they go out into the world.

i'm in between and have another 40 years to build unshielded. 

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

I agree, but also today's youth have been shielded from doing hard work. I built my money by 12 hr days 7 days a week for months at a time away from home. I saved, no new cars, spent money on real estate. Today's kids are unwilling to do brutal hard work for a paycheck. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I agree, but also today's youth have been shielded from doing hard work. I built my money by 12 hr days 7 days a week for months at a time away from home. I saved, no new cars, spent money on real estate. Today's kids are unwilling to do brutal hard work for a paycheck. 

I'm not sure that's a new phenomena.  My parents in the '60s lamented lazy youth.  But when they grew up, they didn't have TV to entertain them, so they either worked, or got stinkin' bored.  We had Laugh-In.

If I had a smart phone, 24/7 entertainment, and the ability to video chat my buddies, I'm not sure I'd have shoveled dog poop, cleaned toilets, and pumped gas either.  In a lot of respects, having a crap job was an escape from sheer boredom and teen angst (that all my friends claimed to be getting laid and I wasn't.  Turns out, they were lying...)

But I digress.

I get major sticker when seeing & reading the cost of things back in the ol' USA.  I arrived here/TH, in 2000/2001.   A visit back to USA in 2003 wasn't too bad.   2006 visit was eye opening.

Now, it's just silly pricing across the board.  20 ish years, you'd expect 50-75-100% increase, due to inflation   But 100% increase, seems to be bargain price :coffee1:

The work hours (true cost) needed to buy necessities, is simply out of whack.  This meme is funny, but sadly true for USA ...  

image.png.ced8c7a026151a1f12ac992d84b5780b.png

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 10:20 AM, KhunLA said:

I get major sticker when seeing & reading the cost of things back in the ol' USA.  I arrived here/TH, in 2000/2001.   A visit back to USA in 2003 wasn't too bad.   2006 visit was eye opening.

Now, it's just silly pricing across the board.  20 ish years, you'd expect 50-75-100% increase, due to inflation   But 100% increase, seems to be bargain price :coffee1:

The work hours (true cost) needed to buy necessities, is simply out of whack.  This meme is funny, but sadly true for USA ...  

image.png.ced8c7a026151a1f12ac992d84b5780b.png

I haven’t been to the U.S. for two years, but it’s not rocket science.  Something has to give.  There’s no way people can continue to live when the cost of living exceeds their earnings.  My guess is that adjustments will be made to their pay.  Maybe not immediately, but over time.  

Anyone old enough will surely remember what things cost back in the day, and how earnings expectations evolved and earnings increased. So today, no one would be offended by gasoline at 50 cents a gallon, but at one time, when that happened, it was a big shock to people used to paying 27 cents.  You can go down the whole list of typical prices.  Houses, cars, groceries, movie tickets, college tuition.  

Things will work out.  

8 hours ago, jas007 said:

Things will work out.  

You're optimistic  ... though I complete disagree, it will only get worse, as they'll be asked 'to sacrifice', for the good of all ... and actually do it :cheesy:

The sheeple will cower and do as they are told ... or else.   Covid proved that.   When digital money is completely rolled out,   They'll have to comply, as completely dependent.

In the end, they'll all be happy, just to be allowed to exist & serve   The flea in the jar thingy, lid on, lid off, it doesn't matter now  :cheesy:

They simply don't know any better now, and too scared to question anything, if they even have a free thought.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You're optimistic  ... though I complete disagree, it will only get worse, as they'll be asked 'to sacrifice', for the good of all ... and actually do it :cheesy:

The sheeple will cower and do as they are told ... or else.   Covid proved that.   When digital money is completely rolled out,   They'll have to comply, as completely dependent.

In the end, they'll all be happy, just to be allowed to exist & serve   The flea in the jar thingy, lid on, lid off, it doesn't matter now  :cheesy:

They simply don't know any better now, and too scared to question anything, if they even have a free thought.

I’m too optimistic?  Maybe.  I think the whole digital money thing may not happen anytime soon.  That’s the key to controlling people, for sure.  But try taking their money away and watch what happens.  They say they’re also trying to control the food supply.  Couple the limited availability of food with a digital currency as the only “approved “ method to purchase food and you’ll see trouble, I think.  But that seems to be a part of the plan.  

Just to add a quick note.  

Do some research on the destruction of food processing plants across the U.S.  Search for an interactive map of the destruction of food processing plants.  It would seem as though a deliberate effort is underway to restrict the U.S. food supply.

In Europe, they’re using a slightly different method.  Under the guise of protecting the planet from greenhouse gases or whatever, they’re taking farmland from farmers.