Personal Goods To Chiang Mai From Uk.

JuniorExPat

Has anyone had a good experience with shipping personal posessions from the UK to Chiang Mai?

Are there any carriers or agents worth recommending or any pitfalls to avoid?

I realise that there are threads on this topic but I am hoping for some more recent info. Shipping from Thailand to the UK is something that I am used to and may well use my shipping agent for the local bits and bobs but I have little experience of shipping to CNX from the UK.

It will be less than a container load that I want to ship and would be real mish-mash of furniture (possibly), books, clothes, knick knacks, etc., etc. and possibly an old Mercedes 280 TE knocked down into parts (joking!! - well half joking!).

Thanks in advance,

JxP.

Has anyone had a good experience with shipping personal posessions from the UK to Chiang Mai?

Are there any carriers or agents worth recommending or any pitfalls to avoid?

I realise that there are threads on this topic but I am hoping for some more recent info. Shipping from Thailand to the UK is something that I am used to and may well use my shipping agent for the local bits and bobs but I have little experience of shipping to CNX from the UK.

It will be less than a container load that I want to ship and would be real mish-mash of furniture (possibly), books, clothes, knick knacks, etc., etc. and possibly an old Mercedes 280 TE knocked down into parts (joking!! - well half joking!).

Thanks in advance,

JxP.

Jxp, a mercedes benz?

btw, i have Borat ready to be shipped to you. no charges of course :o

ps: sorry absolutely no idea on shipping here to there or anywhere.

TB

Jxp, a mercedes benz?

btw, i have Borat ready to be shipped to you. no charges of course :D

ps: sorry absolutely no idea on shipping here to there or anywhere.

TB

TB

Yep, it's been stuck in my garage in the UK for some years now with very rare blowouts don't really want to sell it but I'm pretty sure that it will not be worth shipping it over here. It's LPG converted already . . . !

Thanks on Borat, not sure when I'll be out and about next (too much going on and not enough coming in right now!) but I'll get in touch when I am.

Thanks for the useful shipping tips! :o

JxP.

Hi Junior !

Are you closed to a thai national living in GB ?

I heard that thai's can bring ONE car taxfree in when they return to Thailand after a certain timespan.

Just a thhought,....

Leo

Hi Junior !

I heard that thai's can bring ONE car taxfree in when they return to Thailand after a certain timespan.

Just a thhought,....

Leo

Thanks Leo - I wonder if my three year old daughter could juggle her UK and Thai passports to come up with a solution! :o

Seriously though do you have any links or sources on this subject? "certain timespan" is the key piece of information here I think.

JxP.

I'm in the process of shipping a container of household stuff frfom paris to chiang mai. Using AGS four winds. Apparently one of the biggest companies on the thai side. It'll be October before my stuff is delivered and I can give a final opinion on the entire service - but so far ok.

Jxp, perhaps you can talk to the people at expatmotors.co.th? They should have some useful information for you as far as the car is concerned. At least I think thats the biggest of your worries.

To be fair the car is the least of my worries, I'll store it for as long as my patience lasts and then sell it if it comes to that - it'll cost a fortune in servicing etc if I do get it here and the total bill for getting it here will probably make no sense vs the value of the car - I will follow up on your suggestion though, thanks. I'd spend as much as necessary to get the woman I love delivered to my home but I don't have that kind of relationship with any vehicle!! (and Jaime Murray isn't returning my calls! - IMDB her if you have to!) :o

JxP

I'm in the process of shipping a container of household stuff frfom paris to chiang mai. Using AGS four winds. Apparently one of the biggest companies on the thai side. It'll be October before my stuff is delivered and I can give a final opinion on the entire service - but so far ok.

There's a fair chance that the house won't change hands before then so please keep us (me) updated on your progress.

Thanks,

JxP

I used excess-baggage.com a few years ago. They arrived at the UK address, packed everything up, drove off and a couple of months later arrived in Chiang Mai, unpacked everything, cleared up the rubbish and left. Very easy and only a couple of breakages.

Hi Junior !

Just a thhought,....

Leo

Thanks Leo - I wonder if my three year old daughter could juggle her UK and Thai passports to come up with a solution! :o

Seriously though do you have any links or sources on this subject? "certain timespan" is the key piece of information here I think.

JxP.

Hi Junior !

out of http://www.customs.go.th/UploadFile/EngNew/N0707001.doc

1. Criteria for a Permanent Import of Used/Secondhand Vehicles

(1) An importer is eligible to import only ONE used/ secondhand vehicles for personal use.

(2) In case where the importer is a nonresident, he/she is required to stay in Thailand for at least ONE year and present a non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Bureau, the National Police Office together with a work permit issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare at the time of importation.

(3) In case where an importer is a Thai resident marrying a foreigner, he/she is required to present documentary evidence of marriage and proof of changing residence to Thailand. Also the importer has to own and possess the imported vehicle for at least one and a half year while staying abroad, from the date of transferring the ownership to the date of arrival into Thailand.

(4) In case where an importer is a Thai resident, he/she is allowed to import a vehicle only when such vehicle is accompanied the owner on the change of residence and he/she has owned and possessed the imported vehicle together with the valid driving license for at least one and a half year while staying abroad.

Although I did not see any part saying "taxfree" on that website, I remember hearing "that if a thai national moves back from abroad he/she is entitled to taxfree bringing home householditems and also a car".

If its important to you, give them a ring at 02-5474804 or 1164.

good luck Leo

I used excess-baggage.com a few years ago. They arrived at the UK address, packed everything up, drove off and a couple of months later arrived in Chiang Mai, unpacked everything, cleared up the rubbish and left. Very easy and only a couple of breakages.

Thanks for that - it seconds a recommendation that I received by PM along with a direct email contact to which I am awaiting a reply.

JxP

Hi Junior !

After sending the link, I did some more inquiry on the Thai Customs Website and found a passage that quoted cars not entitled to "moving of personal goods".

Sorry for my probably wrong quoting hearsay. :o

Hi Junior !

After sending the link, I did some more inquiry on the Thai Customs Website and found a passage that quoted cars not entitled to "moving of personal goods".

Sorry for my probably wrong quoting hearsay. :o

No problem - I've just been in contact with someone from expatmotors.co.th and I think he has summed it up quite well (!):

"The best advice I could give is to leave the car in the UK. Imported cars are subject to 300% import tax, this is 300% of the presumed value of the vehicle in Thailand."

Time to concentrate on the books and furniture!! :D

JxP.

Yeah, JXP, I researched this extensively when I first got here. Have a very trick special motorcycle that I would dearly love to import and own here.

After extensive investigation, final conclusion was: forget it. It just does not pencil out.

Unless you have more money than sense, that is.... :o

McG

. . . . . Unless you have more money than sense, that is.... :o

McG

. . . . that still wouldn't raise enough for the import duties!

I do remember, several years ago, checking this out for a friend so I was not expecting too much but it's made the thread a little more interesting if nothing else.

The only "real" solution was suggested to me by miltonbentley over a beer at Tuskers (I know, I know, I was very lucky to catch him with a beer, I realise how unusual that is :D ) and that was to post the car here in parts. There would probably still be a 30,000% duty on the "presumed value" of the badge though!

JxP