Kiwi brothers deny all charges, their parents speak out - March 19

webfact

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

there must be more to this story that we don't know yet.

How come it doesnt happen weekly if these guys are innocent ? They look like morons to me. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

Details and circumstances are very important in such matters.

Gun drawn after a hot pursuit ? In general yes, gun pointed towards the ground or towards the sky.

after a hot pursuit of two t-shirt and shorts wearing tourists on scooters with little room to conceal weapons and ample police support around ? less so. and even less reason to point a gun at them.

shooting the tires as suggested by another poster would be totally inappropriate, as two guys fleeing on scooters pose no threat, but attempting to shoot their tires would put other people at risk.

but ... if I was driving a scooter and a cop pulled up beside me and shot in the air and then pointed his gun on me, I'd stop.

but that apparently wasn't what happened.

the story says the cop pursued and stopped them, then started filming them, and then somehow the situation escalated into disarming the cop. how ? that is the question on whihb the case hinges.

Cops in Thailand film everything. I even see them filming illegal vendors in soi 6. Nothing to see there. I did mean to qualify my statement by comparing the hot pursuit to one in America where the gun would be pointed at your head.

The evidence we do have is a foreign tourist holding a cop's gun. Good luck with the rogue cop defense. Funny how the same people who likely considered George Floyd should have just stuck his hands in the air don't think the same here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The evidence we do have is a foreign tourist holding a cop's gun. Good luck with the rogue cop defense. Funny how the same people who likely considered George Floyd should have just stuck his hands in the air don't think the same here.

You seem to be confused. This forum isn't a court, so there is no "defense". In any case, we would still be in the discovery phase.

I just reserve my judgement until in possession of all facts, in particular the statement of the brothers, more potential witness videos and the police videos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, tgw said:

You seem to be confused. This forum isn't a court, so there is no "defense". In any case, we would still be in the discovery phase.

I just reserve my judgement until in possession of all facts, in particular the statement of the brothers, more potential witness videos and the police videos.

Refrain from clipping my posts. It is against the rules. I would have replied to what you said but for this transgression. You do yourself no favours.

• Haha 1

Refrain from clipping my posts. It is against the rules. I would have replied to what you said but for this transgression. You do yourself no favours.

Please go ahead and ridicule yourself completely by quoting the rule you allege I have broken.

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, tgw said:

Please go ahead and ridicule yourself completely by quoting the rule you allege I have broken.

One of us should apologize to the other if they are wrong, agreed? If you want me to waste my time there has to be a quid pro quo.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

One of us should apologize to the other if they are wrong, agreed? If you want me to waste my time there has to be a quid pro quo.

Absolutely. To save you the time, check rule #28.
Also check out the Code of Conduct rule #7 which you wanted me to break.
Wouldn't that make 2 apologies from you ?

https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

Edited by tgw
  • Love It 1

16 minutes ago, tgw said:

shooting the tires as suggested by another poster would be totally inappropriate, as two guys fleeing on scooters pose no threat, but attempting to shoot their tires would put other people at risk.

Yet, there have been videos on here (this forum) within the last year (about) which shows a policeman in hot pursuit of a motorcyclist shooting at him (his tyres I think)...   

• Sad 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Yet, there have been videos on here (this forum) within the last year (about) which shows a policeman in hot pursuit of a motorcyclist shooting at him (his tyres I think)...  

unless it's a proven dangerous criminal fleeing, there is absolutely no reason ever to shoot someone's tires, it even should be a very serious breach of the code of conduct, cops doing that should land a desk job, and that's if nobody was injured.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tgw said:

Absolutely. To save you the time, check rule #28.
Also check out the Code of Conduct rule #7 which you wanted me to break.
Wouldn't that make 2 apologies from you ?

https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

Rule 28 does apply.

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

Your clip changed the context of my post.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Dolf said:

How come it doesnt happen weekly if these guys are innocent ? They look like morons to me. 

Flawed logic...   The fact that something doesn't happen with regularity is not any evidence or indication at all that it cannot happen.

1 minute ago, tgw said:
3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

unless it's a proven dangerous criminal fleeing, there is absolutely no reason ever to shoot someone's tires, it even should be a very serious breach of the code of conduct, cops doing that should land a desk job, and that's if nobody was injured.

Agreed... a lot of the comments on this forum about that incident matched your sentiment. 

Rule 28 does apply.

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

Your clip changed the context of my post.

Wow, you needed some time to come up with that.

I'll leave it to others who also understand the meaning of "context" to judge.

I don't mean to infer that you don't understand the meaning of "context", even if your post would suggest otherwise.

Maybe reporting my post as you suggested would provide clarity in the matter.

Edited by tgw
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Flawed logic...   The fact that something doesn't happen with regularity is not any evidence or indication at all that it cannot happen.

You presented no evidence, just wild theories. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck it is normally a duck.

Two spoilt brat bogans. No manners. Can't speak Thai. Don't understand Thai culture. No respect for cops.

They are ducks. Phuket has high moron ratio amongst farangs.

4 minutes ago, tgw said:

Wow, you needed some time to come up with that.

I'll leave it to others who also understand the meaning of "context" to judge.

I don't mean to infer that you don't understand the meaning of "context", even if your post would suggest otherwise.

The application of that rule has always been to prevent clipping posts without good reason. My post was not so overly long that you had cause to clip it other than to be not seen to be avoiding that part of the post.

Your post explicitly referenced filming them as if to establish that was exculpatory evidence.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Dolf said:

If an officer pulls a gun on me Im not fighting. Im complying. People who fight normally get shot.

You are not a young, fit, strong male with MME experience though are you ?

People with different capabilities will may well act differently. 

IF an angry policeman pulls a gun on me, I'll keep very quiet and hope he does nothing more. 

IF an angry policeman pulls a gun on someone with CQB training may well respond so they know he does nothing more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF an angry policeman pulls a gun on me, I'll keep very quiet and hope he does nothing more. 

IF an angry policeman pulls a gun on someone with CQB training may well respond so they know he does nothing more.

Where was that argument when George Floyd resisted a cop arresting him for selling cigarettes? Most people who do that wind up dead. The officers obvious reluctance to kill someone for a traffic violation is the only reason there are still two brothers today in my opinion.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The application of that rule has always been to prevent clipping posts without good reason. My post was not so overly long that you had cause to clip it other than to be not seen to be avoiding that part of the post.

ah, we now get into the realm of the "unwritten rules".

rules #28 does not mention post length, it says that shortening a post is permitted.

the rest of your post didn't add any context to the section I was responding to.

my goal was to respond exactly to your reference to the "rogue cop defense", as suggested by rule #7 of the Code of Conduct. there is your good reason.

my apologies to the rest of the readers for getting sucked into a "I'll report you because you broke the rules" discussion.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

ah, we now get into the realm of the "unwritten rules".

rules #28 does not mention post length, it says that shortening a post is permitted.

the rest of your post didn't add any context to the section I was responding to.

my goal was to respond exactly to your reference to the "rogue cop defense", as suggested by rule #7 of the Code of Conduct.

my apologies to the rest of the readers for getting sucked into a "I'll report you because you broke the rules" discussion.

Again mischaracterizing my post. There was no hint of a report nor was there one. Own it.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Both of them will get some brutal beatings and kicks (maybe they have already received them) before being transferred to the prisons, where they will wake up at 5 AM to clean toilets. After a few months, they will be released, deported, and barred from entering Thailand again. This won't teach them a lesson not to repeat it again, but at least they won't be able to do it in Thailand anymore. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Again mischaracterizing my post. There was no hint of a report nor was there one. Own it.

Yes, you are right on that count - I misread "replied" for "reported".

Apologies to you for that.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

When a Thai commits a crime they somehow always confess. Bet the police aren't used to dealing with a plea of innocent.

It will be the judge who decides on the punishment, not the police. They may have denied the charges, but that was not in court.

8 minutes ago, tgw said:

Yes, you are right on that count - I misread "replied" for "reported".

Apologies to you for that.

Understandable, this is a forum, not a novel. I am guilty of misreading posts frequently.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What is mme? You mean mma. I can fight with fists but not wrestle. I still wouldnt do that. Pay your 500 baht and move on.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jvs said:

How often has any Thai police officer shot a tourist at a traffic stop?

I have lived here for a while now and have never heard of it.

Well I don't think you would have heard of it unless the guy is caught.

But that cops in Thailand are often unhinged is not unheard of

Thailand massacre: ex-cop kills 24 children in knife and gun rampage

That Phuket cops are some of the worse in Thailand is not unheard of

Phuket officer gets 25 years for drunken Bangla shooting

Both of those examples are recent...do you think they are the only examples? They do not include the unheard 😉 

• Sad 1

Been coming here for many years, never seen a cop chase anyone. Was the cop drug tested afterwards? Has he done this type of thing before? Only time I have seen a cop shoot his gun was when we were drinking at a small outside eating and drinking place. Scared the hell out of me, got out of there quickly. From what the video shows, these guys are simply trying to save their own lives and simply did not understand how roadblocks in Thailand work. . Something really does not add up here.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1