Immigration officers told to increase screening of foreigners in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

Isn't one purpose of every law that it should be enforced?

Some laws are obsolete and have not been removed from the books, others exist as deterrents, it would be impractical to enforce every law that exists.....most countries are similar

Anyone wondered, what percentage or severity of the crimes committed in the kingdom can be assigned to foreigners compared to " netizens"? Is it really so worrisome or there is some distraction game at play.  Anyone wondered, what percentage or severity of the crimes committed in the kingdom can be assigned to foreigners compared to " netizens"?

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone wondered, what percentage or severity of the crimes committed in the kingdom can be assigned to foreigners compared to " netizens"? Is it really so worrisome or there is some distraction game at play.

6 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

Anyone wondered, what percentage or severity of the crimes committed in the kingdom can be assigned to foreigners compared to " netizens"? Is it really so worrisome or there is some distraction game at play.

It would be interested to know that figure in proportion to number of foreigners in Thailand... 

i.e.  Are there more crimes per 100,000 of foreigner population compared to 100,000 of the Thai Population ?

Foreigner 'issues' are certainly more news worthy... after all, who's interested in 5 Thai Youths beating up a disabled guy ?... its hot news for a day...  But if it were a 'Foreigner' beating up a disabled guy - it'd be international news followed by weeks of outrage. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Some laws are obsolete and have not been removed from the books, others exist as deterrents, it would be impractical to enforce every law that exists.....most countries are similar

Aah, yes, for example the one about wearing pants (US English: underpants). Not very practical to enforce.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/20/2024 at 9:53 AM, Captain Monday said:

Maybe cut the rubbish get rid of “visa exempt” and require criminal record checks  to get visas at consulates ? 

Honestly, I hope they do.

But not because I have any problem with tourists coming here, but rather I find the tourism industry here deplorable and it would give them a good dose of 'som nam naa' because very few people would come.

Edited by FruitPudding

14 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You’d be off your rocker to trust the Thais with that sort of information, not to mention it is a breach of privacy and illegal at home. 

All countries have access to the Interpol Database of international wanted criminals.  But that isn't people who have committed petty offense in the past, in their home country.

• Agree 1

On 3/21/2024 at 2:35 PM, nowhereman said:

A tiny tiny percentage according to Tim Newton who looked at foreign convictions and deportations relative to tourist numbers. Obviously news focuses on these incidents though and makes the place look xenophobic. I am inclined to say Thailand gives them an environment likely to promote bad behaviour too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In other words lets hope it is not a blank cheque to be rude, to refuse to give out the document the foreigner may request in any I/o office and basically to do everything to make life hell for those who bring in money in Thailand ?

Well time to try other countries where there is a bit more respect to the golden geese.

But one must admit also that quite a few farangs in legal business in Thailand can be plain crooks who enjoy cheating their own..Problem is it is always the honest ones that have to face rude officers and get harassed. The crooks always pass below the radar.