Bangkok’s Airport Rail Link faces major maintenance

snoop1130

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

They did that quite a while back.

Really? I last rode the ARL less than two months ago, and the empty, unusable baggage car was still on the train that I was on - and I've never seen an ex-Express train without it. (All the former Express passenger cars were converted to the City-style beech seating years ago.) 

3 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Really? I last rode the ARL less than two months ago, and the empty, unusable baggage car was still on the train that I was on - and I've never seen an ex-Express train without it. (All the former Express passenger cars were converted to the City-style beech seating years ago.) 

Yeah, the last few times I've been on it I've noticed the Express ones now have seating in all four carriages. Unless maybe they've only done one and I've just happened to get that one each time, not sure.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Haven't travelled on it for some years. Does it still have that loud bang when it goes over the points at one of the stations - I think the one where the maintenance depot is?

I remember thinking something is not quite right with that!

Yes, but it is not the points. It happens between Ramkhamhaeng and Hua Mark but only on the Express trains. It comes from the toilets and is some sort of pneumatic release valve but never found out exactly what it is, but it's definitely toilet related.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 12:48 PM, josephbloggs said:

Yeah, the last few times I've been on it I've noticed the Express ones now have seating in all four carriages. Unless maybe they've only done one and I've just happened to get that one each time, not sure.

Yesterday I was got on a red express train and it had four carriages of seating. At the same time one pulled in opposite and it had four carriages of seating, so they have definitely converted all of them and think it's been done for a few months.

Thinking about it I haven't noticed a toilet on any express train for a while so maybe they also took them out at the same time (therefore no more loud clang).

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kickstart said:

I am going to the airport on Monday, coming down from Lopburi ,is the Airport Link open yet.

Thanks.

The Airport link has always been open. Nothing has changed.

If you mean the three airport connection (DMK, BKK and Utapao), then no. But the airport link in Bangkok is working as normal.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Thanks 1

It is narrow, crowded, cramped and generally uncomfortable compared to similar systems internationally, except for countries that have none.

Good thing is the ticket is cheap. But you get what you pay for.

On 3/23/2024 at 1:36 PM, khunjeff said:

That being the case, CP should finally convert the unused baggage cars on the former express trains to accommodate passengers - it's ridiculous that those trains run with one empty car, even years after the express service was discontinued.

If they could they would convert it into a 7/11 dining car.

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 5:20 AM, bkk6060 said:

Many things they build here, maintenance seems not to be a priority.  Look at some of the buildings and condos that were beautiful when opened now, dirty and falling apart.

Hope they take proper care of this system.

Interesting, any relatively new condos showing signs of  neglect.? Lack of maintenance is a third world thing.

For third world please read developing nation.

Edited by saintdomingo

6 hours ago, rabang said:

It is narrow, crowded, cramped and generally uncomfortable compared to similar systems internationally, except for countries that have none.

The express trains uses the same seat as British Rail class 360 used in the east midlands

On 3/24/2024 at 4:22 AM, outsider said:

As a regular traveller to Malaysia, their airport-to-city express rail link is simply superb. It's a non-stop express service from airport to their rail hub (yes it is a REAL hub). Thailand's 'airport rail link' started with a commuter and express service, the latter which no longer exists. Let me put it this way - even when it was operating, Thailand's express link is nothing compared to what Malaysia has. Where is that face-saving pride (and making things work better) when you need it?

absolutely agree,  the Malaysian airport express is way above this slap stick service.  Doesn't even come close ... in fact this one is like getting into a cattle car compared to the Malaysian system. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 7:21 PM, snoop1130 said:

Following a meticulous review, Asia Era One, a subsidiary of Thailand’s CP Group, has ramped up efforts to ensure the rail’s safety, hiring reputable firms to conduct daily, weekly, and monthly checks on vital systems, Kunadhamraks explained.

Not being done already? Shocking but not surprising!

On 3/23/2024 at 9:42 AM, tgw said:

almost reads as if there was no maintenance contract for the line...

That is exactly how it reads.

I've only taken the airport rail link a few times, but I noticed that it was run like an old-fashioned train, with a train running every 15 or 20 minutes according to a strict schedule.  I think that it would be much more useful to run it like the BTS or MRT, with a train every 5 minutes.

2 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

I've only taken the airport rail link a few times, but I noticed that it was run like an old-fashioned train, with a train running every 15 or 20 minutes according to a strict schedule.  I think that it would be much more useful to run it like the BTS or MRT, with a train every 5 minutes.

They are every ten minutes in off peak. Every 6 minutes or so in peak times.

16 hours ago, rabang said:

Say what you like, it is better than a taxi, as I said I am coming own from lop Buri get off the Minibus at Mawchit, hail a taxi, taxi driver sees it is a Farang says 500 baht to the airport I say, in Thai, use the meter, he drives away.

I do not need the hassle, the BTS  train Mawchit to Parathai ,then the link, always have a seat, one time of day it was very quiet now with the other colored lines having links to it, it is now a major commuter link.

You want a comparison to try the London underground, Piccadilly line to LHR from the city.......

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, kickstart said:

Say what you like, it is better than a taxi, as I said I am coming own from lop Buri get off the Minibus at Mawchit, hail a taxi, taxi driver sees it is a Farang says 500 baht to the airport I say, in Thai, use the meter, he drives away.

I do not need the hassle, the BTS  train Mawchit to Parathai ,then the link, always have a seat, one time of day it was very quiet now with the other colored lines having links to it, it is now a major commuter link.

You want a comparison to try the London underground, Piccadilly line to LHR from the city.......

Yep, Picadilly Line King's Cross to LHR would cost £6.90 / 315 baht, take an hour, be packed, no seats, no luggage space, and have about 20 stops. And no aircon.

Or you can take the Heathrow Express form Paddington for £25 / 1,165 THB for a 15 minute journey. You'll probably get a seat. By the way this is the most expensive train journey in the world per passenger mile.

Or the ARL from Phaya Thai to Suvaranabhuni is 45 baht / 95 British pence. Aircon, fast, convenient, ends up right in the basement below departures, unlike the Heathrow Express.

I know which I would prefer. @rabang is just a basher with no argument. "Narrow"?? It's the same width as any other train.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I know which I would prefer. @rabang is just a basher with no argument. "Narrow"?? It's the same width as any other train.

You need to look further. ARL is good for a developing country level only.

20 hours ago, kickstart said:

You want a comparison to try the London underground, Piccadilly line to LHR from the city.....

How about a better and more relevant comparison, such as the KLIA Ekpres in KL, Malaysia?

16 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

How about a better and more relevant comparison, such as the KLIA Ekpres in KL, Malaysia?

It is ten times the price, there's one comparison.

As I said, it is cheap but you get what you pay for. I would gladly pay a bit more if it was reflected in the quality.

I have to admit the new line to Don Mueang is very good though. It is a good reason to use that airport with other things being equal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It is ten times the price, there's one comparison.

It is, but it is faster, safer and more comfortable. 

It's also properly maintained. 

So you get what you pay for. 

44 minutes ago, rabang said:

As I said, it is cheap but you get what you pay for. I would gladly pay a bit more if it was reflected in the quality.

I have to admit the new line to Don Mueang is very good though. It is a good reason to use that airport with other things being equal.

Run by same company. Airport link was also very good when it first opened, and I didn't mind 150 baht for express train (usually alone on it, though) but now it's a bit dated, although still very convenient to avoid taxis at the airport. Although recently, since Grab counter opened just opposite exit 4 on ground floor, I find myself taking taxi most of the time, and every time with bags.

Used to live right next to AIrport link station so using it was no brainer. It's a great alternative, especially during peak traffic hours. Can save an hour or more.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It is, but it is faster, safer and more comfortable. 

It's also properly maintained. 

So you get what you pay for. 

We'll agree to differ then. Maintenance was definitely an issue under the SRT (which is Thailand's most incompetent government agency)( but hopefully under Asia Era One it will be better. They already improved the stations adding better signage, better access, and TOILETS!! But time will tell.

Safety? There's never been an accident on the ARL as far as I am aware. I remember one on the KLIA express when two trains collided. The entire thing was also suspended a few years ago for a couple of years only returning to full service last year.

It's not faster either, both systems run at 160kmh, but it may seem that way as it covers a much longer distance and doesn't stop like the ARL does

I am at BKK now, having travelled on the ARL from town and it was fast, cheap, and comfortable and dropped me right in the airport. I think it has it's flaws but overall it is a decent system.

Finally, the KLIA Express takes you to KL which is a turdhole. the ARL takes you in to Bangkok.  🙂

Agree to disagree.

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Run by same company.

Not any more. The ARL was handed over to Asia Era One - a private CP-led consortium - maybe 2-3 years ago. Before that it was run by the SRTET which is the same company as the red line.

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

We'll agree to differ then. Maintenance was definitely an issue under the SRT (which is Thailand's most incompetent government agency)( but hopefully under Asia Era One it will be better. They already improved the stations adding better signage, better access, and TOILETS!! But time will tell.

Safety? There's never been an accident on the ARL as far as I am aware. I remember one on the KLIA express when two trains collided. The entire thing was also suspended a few years ago for a couple of years only returning to full service last year.

It's not faster either, both systems run at 160kmh, but it may seem that way as it covers a much longer distance and doesn't stop like the ARL does

I am at BKK now, having travelled on the ARL from town and it was fast, cheap, and comfortable and dropped me right in the airport. I think it has it's flaws but overall it is a decent system.

Finally, the KLIA Express takes you to KL which is a turdhole. the ARL takes you in to Bangkok.  🙂

Agree to disagree.

Firstly, the article in the OP is admitting there are issues with maintenance on the ARL.

Secondly, the accident on the KLIA Ekpress was minor and did not result in the shutdown of the service. 

Thirdly, you are way wrong about the speeds of both systems. The ARL operating speed is 120kmh while the KLIA Ekpress is a proper high speed rail with operating speed of 160kmh and top speed of 200kmh.

Finally, KL is a much nicer and more picturesque city than Bangkok. I prefer Bangkok, because I love it having lived there 34 years, but comparing the two you have to be objective. 

I didn't even mention the many incidents with the ARL including the frequent power outages, the death of a woman on the tracks, mechanical problems etc.

As a frequent user of both services, the KLIA Ekpress service is far superior. No question.