The UK must cancel it's triple lock for OAP

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

ll I will wait until you grasp the basic concepts of English. of making intelligent and non aggressive posts!

You are the only person who seems to not understand.

I'll leave it at that 😏 

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:19 AM, TorquayFan said:

Democracy can often be undermined by the need to get votes - we all need to see the wider picture.

Indeed, like with most systems of government there is an internal conflict, there is an internal conflict with democracy. If you look at actions needed for climate change, there is a lot of talk and not much action from the democracies of the world. Not much pain for the voters being offered in western democracies as platforms. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, retarius said:

Indeed, like with most systems of government there is an internal conflict, there is an internal conflict with democracy. If you look at actions needed for climate change, there is a lot of talk and not much action from the democracies of the world. Not much pain for the voters being offered in western democracies as platforms. 

The constant blearing from a vociferous few on the political right suggests a great deal of pain and anguish.

Hi Chomper. I'm not sure what 'blearing' is, but anyway, right or left, my thoughts on the triple lock are led by uncomfortable realities.

The UK Govt in 2023 borrowed £119 billion. Such uncomfortable realities as this cannot be faced, because of the need to court Voters. Democracy is still the best but this drawback is IMO, more than evident.

FYI £119 billion approximates to a Govt spend per person of £1,700, (for every man woman and child). With Govt. debt approaching £3 trillion now, which is £43,000 per man woman and child. Approx ! But you see the message?

Nothing to do with wings at all !

• Like 1

I'm under 50 and have accrued 80% of the max state pension. 

I won't even bother topping it up with voluntary contributions.

Not worth my energy. Its my charitable gift to those who need it more than I.

• Haha 1

Nice touch Noob but If you are under 50, you should have a lot of years to come and who knows what may arise ?

I'd make the effort to get the full amount and give it away, IF I didn't need it, say for healthcare (heaven forbid) or something else. ATB

• Agree 1

According to a conservative think tank the only way to keep the triple lock is to keep increasing the retirement age in stages. The consensus is that if the Tories win the next election 555 they will increase the pension age to 68.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:38 PM, TorquayFan said:

Nice touch Noob but If you are under 50, you should have a lot of years to come and who knows what may arise ?

I'd make the effort to get the full amount and give it away, IF I didn't need it, say for healthcare (heaven forbid) or something else. ATB

He’s claims to have actuary skills and doesn’t do the ‘who knows what might add up’ scenario.

Something doesn’t add up.

• Agree 1

On 3/25/2024 at 1:26 PM, TorquayFan said:

Rampant your first reply is frankly, brainless. BTW I am an OAP myself.

Do you realise that your NI contributions paid in over the years have already been spent - did you never benefit from a school, a Hospital or a road etc. ? OA Pensions too are paid each year from the Govt's current tax take and borrowings.

Your contributions are not sitting in a Rampant Rabbit bucket - it's not like a Private Pension Scheme where monies are paid into an investment on your behalf.

You say, "these youngsters all want something for nothing". So I ask if the Pensioners are right to grumble now, many of them sitting in properties the Youngsters will never be able to aspire to.

Re. your 2nd, "The govt should really have invested the pension money, instead its just another pot of  money for them to use now". Precisely. You do get it. But if that had NOT been the case, they would have been compelled to INCREASE your other taxes over the years.

How can you expect those working now and paying higher than ever taxes, take on a higher burden still, to indulge you now when they will be taking an OAP at a higher age than we (?) did . . . . .

duh? I said the money's taken now which u finally  acknowledge further down your  reply after calling me brainless. Its taken now and spent now and thats WRONG, they should have invested it , the system is sheite. 

Im nowhere near state pension age yet ,another 7 years to go due to birth year.....Other people? thats their problem Im not their wet nurse. Maybe if they stopped  buying crap on stuff they dont need and saved hard like Ive done for +40years. Also have a private pension which I started in 1990. If I can do it so can most others, I wasn t on an amazing salary for my working life. Increase taxes fine, you dont get something for nothing and thats what everyone seems to want.

On 3/31/2024 at 2:33 PM, stratocaster said:

According to a conservative think tank the only way to keep the triple lock is to keep increasing the retirement age in stages. The consensus is that if the Tories win the next election 555 they will increase the pension age to 68.

Thought it already was  depending what year you were born

On 3/26/2024 at 5:01 AM, TorquayFan said:

Therefore, IMHO, payment of the OAP should be means tested

No It shoudlnt that gives no incentive to anyone to work hard and be careful throughout their life to then get penalised, why bother doing anymore if you get the money come what may.

Rabbit you're rampant.

Your minus 3 - "they should have invested it , the system is ****. Yes they should have invested it but no they didn't AND if they had they would have had to UP other taxes which you would have whinged about too. The UK Govt has spent your State Pensions on us already M8 and that's that ! The workforce in 7 years time will have to pay yours THAT'S WHY we shouldn't indulge the 'triple lock at their expense . . . .

Your last - again I'm not talking about means testing everyone, just using tax returns to determine which retirees have so much wealth and money that the State Pension will be pin money.

And for all, increasing pensions by RPI is more than enough.

• Agree 1

On 4/7/2024 at 10:22 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Thought it already was  depending what year you were born

Correct ...and it is already on a glidepath to age 68 for younger folks i believe.

On 4/1/2024 at 6:32 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

He’s claims to have actuary skills and doesn’t do the ‘who knows what might add up’ scenario.

Something doesn’t add up.

Also a degree in maths, same as every actuary.

Do you know what 4^(1/20) signifies?

This also ties in with why i won't need the state pension.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:38 PM, TorquayFan said:

The under 50 who moves to thailand with £200k in his pocket and 50k baht income/month has to worry about what may arise.

Now think of the guy who does not.