“Strictly screen foreigners entering and leaving the Kingdom”, Deputy Chief of police

snoop1130

7 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

For example, Malaysia has a pretty good retirement program.  Malaysia used to have a good retirement program - then they increased the amount that had to be locally banked to usd$220,000 or so. 
And they added a high income requirement - something over usd$100,000 per year.
Now that is even suspended. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem is , how can the Thai police/ immigration know who to let in and who to refuse ? No one can know in advance who is going to cause trouble/ thieve/ deal/ drive like maniacs /  or become violent , can they ?  They can be rich , poorer tourists, badly dressed or tattooed from head to foot , no one knows.  A nice looking man of about 70 terrorized a small condo I stayed in , played loud music all night, generally an obnoxious person and behaved threatening. I had to be moved to another room, he was all smiles when confronted by police . Just a very nasty person.  Hard to tell when someone looks decent. So how to filter out the bad ones ??

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, DavidH51 said:
13 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

For example, Malaysia has a pretty good retirement program.  Malaysia used to have a good retirement program - then they increased the amount that had to be locally banked to usd$220,000 or so. 
And they added a high income requirement - something over usd$100,000 per year.
Now that is even suspended. 

Oh, is that right?  Just to double check, we are talking about the MM2H program, right?  I wasn't aware of the updates.  PI, however, is definitely still easy mode.

2 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Oh, is that right?  Just to double check, we are talking about the MM2H program, right?  I wasn't aware of the updates.  PI, however, is definitely still easy mode.

well, that may be 100% true about the PI but reading their forum, I see almost the same comments - some people happy, many not so happy.  The PI was my 2nd choice for retirement as I spent 6 years

there but the natural disasters on a regular basis there made my choice of Thailand easy.  The immigration situation in Thailand seems to be a strongly felt major complaint area - I have been here for over

20 years and it has gotten better and easier than it used to be.  To better enjoy life, look for the good rather than the bad and once the bad wins out all the time, it is easy to see that it is time for a change of location maybe.  Take care stay safe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Yes, farangs are some of the worst scooter drivers on the road.  I guess they see Thai guys driving like idiots and figure they need to show them that they can be an even bigger idiot.  Watch how most Thai women drive scooters.  That is the example people should be following. Not the young Thai guys who seem to have a death wish.

We see them daily on the road to Pai, young white skinned and riding like they were back in the UK, following the "rules of the road" and the Highway Code and completely oblivious to the threats around them. 

I stopped to talk with two young Dutch guys a couple of years ago when they pulled into a PTT. I said, if you keep driving so aggressively, you'll never reach Pai. They said they believed that by driving aggressively the other road users would give them space and they'd be safe. I said, do you really think these pick up truck drivers even see you or care about you one little bit, you're just road kill in the making! Their driving was more sedate when they left.

When you let s0o many into the country for any reason this was expected to happen,look at the news over the last 5+ weeks.They have to feed themselves one way or another even illegally. 

On 3/26/2024 at 12:25 PM, saintdomingo said:

Why do you need a hotline why not just do it.?

Are you another who thinks these wicked agents are intimidating the hapless IOs.?

They are in it together. The IOs who accept the brown envelopes should be prosecuted.

On 3/26/2024 at 6:10 PM, DavidH51 said:

I would like Thai immigration stop bank balance cheaters. There miscreants allow a corrupt agent to loan them 800k baht for a few days instead of following the law and maintaining the required bank balance all year.

Sick em - Thai immigration. 

You seem to have your finger on the pulse how exactly does it work, I have been wondering.?

Wish I could find a corrupt agent to lend me 800,000 baht.

So the money is only loaned for a few days. That is interesting as the law says months.

Edited by saintdomingo
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:38 PM, Mike Lister said:

If you have a reasonably capable and proactive police force, in theory you can let in most people because any misdeeds will be detected early and offenders penalised. But if you let in anyone and everyone and don't have that policing capability, it's a recipe for disaster, the iceberg tip of which we are now beginning to observe. The problem will be that, as things get worse and higher crime rates amongst foreigners observed, the knee jerk clamp downs that will follow may become ugly. The problem we as farangs might have is that despite representing less than 0.5% of the population, long term expats are likely to be scrutinised and hampered, disproportionately. I for one am going to drive much less than before and start carrying my passport, two things I've never felt the need to do previously. This is not because I think that policy has changed, it hasn't. The bigger concern is the rogue uncontrolled elements in law enforcement who might see themselves as white nights by capturing a farang.

There is an excellent train service (well everything is relaative) from Chang Mai but you would still need to carry your passport.

You guys be careful. Hong Kong just passed new laws where if you talk bad or say anything against the CCP you could go to jail for life.  Even flight connections passing through China or Hong Kong could lead you to be arrested.  So if you have ever said anything negative on the internet you could go directly to jail...

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:38 PM, Mike Lister said:

If you have a reasonably capable and proactive police force, in theory you can let in most people because any misdeeds will be detected early and offenders penalised. But if you let in anyone and everyone and don't have that policing capability, it's a recipe for disaster, the iceberg tip of which we are now beginning to observe. The problem will be that, as things get worse and higher crime rates amongst foreigners observed, the knee jerk clamp downs that will follow may become ugly. The problem we as farangs might have is that despite representing less than 0.5% of the population, long term expats are likely to be scrutinised and hampered, disproportionately. I for one am going to drive much less than before and start carrying my passport, two things I've never felt the need to do previously. This is not because I think that policy has changed, it hasn't. The bigger concern is the rogue uncontrolled elements in law enforcement who might see themselves as white nights by capturing a farang.

No need to carry your passport. Just photocopy the first page and visa page, laminate it and carry it in your wallet.

Alternatively, your Thai driving licence has your passport numbers on it.

21 minutes ago, bannork said:

No need to carry your passport. Just photocopy the first page and visa page, laminate it and carry it in your wallet.

Yes, my old passport number and I can't update my license with the new one

7 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I found that cars and trucks weren't the real issue on the road when riding my big bike, they are way easier to manage. The real issue is the other idiots on motorcycles and scooters flying by way to close for comfort, and changing lanes without signaling or even looking, I am convinced they are on a suicide mission.

Having ridden a smaller bike for many many years here I find cars and trucks often pass me too close. Particularly impatient cars, pickups and mini-buses, who expect me to get into the gutter, so they can undertake.

30 minutes ago, bannork said:

Your driving licence also may have an old passport number on it. It is not just the PP number that is needed, not all details are there. Sometimes they want to check Permission to Stay......

42 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Having ridden a smaller bike for many many years here I find cars and trucks often pass me too close. Particularly impatient cars, pickups and mini-buses, who expect me to get into the gutter, so they can undertake.

Yeah, I kind of avoided that more because the Big Bike gets me out in front of anyone else much quicker, and I could then find open space to keep a cushion between them and myself. Though I would try to ride when things aren't congested, if it is, I just drive the car instead.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Not always, my license has my Pink ID number. But I have also carried my passport with me whenever I leave the house, its in a passport wallet.

Bellroy2.jpg

On 3/28/2024 at 1:55 AM, saintdomingo said:

You seem to have your finger on the pulse how exactly does it work, I have been wondering.?

Wish I could find a corrupt agent to lend me 800,000 baht.

So the money is only loaned for a few days. That is interesting as the law says months.

It's not for a few days, only a few minutes.   Just long enough for you to sign the paperwork at the bank.  TIT

Edited by shdmn

11 minutes ago, shdmn said:

It's not for a few days, only a few minutes.   Just long enough for you to sign the paperwork at the bank.  TIT

You'd better tell DavidH51 he tells people it's for a few days. Not my business anyway, thanks for your post.

Edited by saintdomingo

10 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

You'd better tell DavidH51 he tells people it's for a few days. Not my business anyway, thanks for your post.

I believe there are slight variations in the modus operandi, sometimes people don't even use their own account. 

On 3/26/2024 at 7:10 PM, DavidH51 said:

I would like Thai immigration stop bank balance cheaters. There miscreants allow a corrupt agent to loan them 800k baht for a few days instead of following the law and maintaining the required bank balance all year.

Sick em - Thai immigration. 

They don't affect the quality of my life one iota.   I'd rather see them focus on the ones that actually misbehave.

Just now, impulse said:

They don't affect the quality of my life one iota.   I'd rather see them focus on the ones that actually misbehave.

I think they do. Because there are guys who play the system, Immi is constantly coming up with new counter measures to prevent them and those things affect us. This year I had to produce the bank book containing my one year Fixed Deposit of 400k, a letter from the bank confirming it had been in there for the past however long and a bank statement as well. 

Those of us that are married to Thai's must produce four photographs of husband and wife in different rooms of the house, including one in front of the house showing the house number. In addition two officers come round and check that the house we live in matches the photographs, plus, some even interview the neighbours to see if we really live there. 

Immi does these things because others have scammed the system so I say, stop the scammers and life will be easier for the rest of us.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Immi does these things because others have scammed the system so I say, stop the scammers and life will be easier for the rest of us.

Immi does those things to stop the scammers.  That's the opposite of making life easier for the rest of us. 

On one hand, you're complaining about the effects of the clampdown, and then you're advocating more clampdown.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1