“Strictly screen foreigners entering and leaving the Kingdom”, Deputy Chief of police

snoop1130

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Not surprised you were at that dump. Did your tuk-tuk driving pal take you? 😆

Why would you be surprised? It's the border closest to me and I didmt want to fly.

Are you implying that you are so high up as to beyond borders? Or is it the classic hey look this dude went to poipet which is a scumbag place so he must be a scumbag too?

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Lister said:

I live in Chiang Mai, in Thailand.

There are approximately 4 million foreigners living in Thailand. 

Farang is the Thai term for white westerner.

4 mill. minus 300k full time farang expats = 3,700,000

What don't you understand?

Why you are telling me this droll information.

It's quite amusing that many of those that complain about stricter enforcement of immigration laws either come from (western) places with poor vetting and enforcement - the results that are obvious - or would likely scream for similar enforcement strictness in their own home countries.

Meanwhile, many places in Asia become increasingly more desirable to live in (reverse immigration flows) so screws will likely be tightened in the future here and other places in this region.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Not if they're leaving, right?

So it's national "do your job day" today?

And were they "laxly" enforcing immigration laws previously?

No, previously there was no war Russia/Ukraine. Now a lot of criminals see Thailand as a refuge. And that is not the top of society but the bottom. 

And here's the dilemma: to have more visitors/money means to let more criminals in. 🙏

9 hours ago, it is what it is said:

i'm surprised they don't have reasonably robust measures in place already, and the question is; would these new stricter measures have prevented entry to any of the recent high profile miscreants?

what they need is more focus on compliance once people are here, e.g. identifying and removing overstayers - it can't be that difficult, and stamping down on corruption between locals and foreigners - bit of a no-brainer you'd think...

It's actually almost impossible to identify an overstayer if he has foreign income and access to that income through a bank card for example. He can just stay in rented properties, whatever. He is almost impossible to detect, unless someone tells the immigration. 

55 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Many foreigners IMO think because Thais get away with crimes or short sentences some even ignored by the RTP, they think it's ok for them to follow suit. They even think they can drive a M/C better and faster than a Thai, I know that statement will bring a lot of criticizes, but in my local area it is true.  

Faster, certainly but better? If they are better why is the accident and death rate here amongst motorcyclists so horrific?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, edwinchester said:

Faster, certainly but better? If they are better why is the accident and death rate here amongst motorcyclists so horrific?

Where is here? as I said in my LOCAL AREA.

17 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

It's actually almost impossible to identify an overstayer if he has foreign income and access to that income through a bank card for example. He can just stay in rented properties, whatever. He is almost impossible to detect, unless someone tells the immigration. 

There should be random checks. IN 30 years, I've never been asked for my passport randomly.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Thailand is anti-farang and only wants their money! 

Paranoia much!

As far as I know, Thailand has always been anti-fahrang?

Specially with square face in the country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

As far as I know, Thailand has always been anti-fahrang?

Specially with square face in the country.

Indeed, he raised visa fees by nearly 300%! Also raised PR from  10k to 100k

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's almost as if they really, really don't want us and our foreign exchange!

Quelle surprise!

How does your country deal with foreigners who don't follow the law, hero!?:coffee1:

• Haha 1

What a load of nonsense, how can they foresee a crime that a visitor may commit,

unless they have access to overseas police records, and when they depart to late they are going home.

5 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

How does your country deal with foreigners who don't follow the law, hero!?:coffee1:

Depends on if they arrive in a rubber dingy or not.......:coffee1:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Not if they're leaving, right?

So it's national "do your job day" today?

And were they "laxly" enforcing immigration laws previously?

They are being pressured to be more difficult on people with Dreadlocks and wearing Cargo shorts.

Seriously, the only this the Immigration Officers can do it make a big show of being a hardass to prove to the bosses that they are being more diligent.

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

Only if the property owner is an accomplice.

• Agree 1