If there is a God – Why ?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The possibility exists that if there is a god, instead of being loving, he/she/it is a vicious and uncaring god.

As far as I am concerned, every religion demands worship - and money.

Greeks, Romans and Scandinavians all had their pantheon of gods. Pagans had the spirits of earth, air, fire and water. It is a matter of belief, not fact, as to which religion thinks it is superior to all the others.

Christianity is a religion but doesn't demand money. People can tithe if they want to........

Is it necessary to pay tithes?

God has given Christians the wonderful gift of tithing. It will help us remember that all belongs to God; it will help us establish order in our finances; it will help us support the church; it will help us prosper. We do not have to tithe to be righteous. ...........................................Of course we should worship our creator. He made everything so common sense he would know what laws are necessary to prevent chaos. People defy him and hurt others because humans have free will, a condition that shows we aren't slaves and can choose our destiny. I don't like a lot of the things on earth and question why some are here, but simply, we are only here for 100 or so years or less, and that's nothing compared to forever. Why he allows things that are evil to happen, and let's people who are evil to run rampant and are ruining the Earth, another question why. Some things, like flies, mosquitoes, gnats, ticks, black flies, and the like are way too populated, more than needed so to speak. He could have made mosquitoes not carry malaria, yellow fever and dengue, so why? We could all have lived 1000 years and then gone on to heaven, as we would be convinced he existed and was loving towards us, and 1000 years is a long time to live without boredom eventually. He could have made earth as big as Jupiter and it wouldn't be over populated beyond sustenance, which Earth is coming to quickly. People invented many gods but if that were the case they would all be in competition, and we would see evidence of this. Sometimes I hate him, but I know he's in charge. Earth has many things that are wonderful, and a lot of us enjoy them, although not for long enough, and some never enjoy them so to me that's wrong. If paradise is much better than all of this with no pain, then that's the reason sh*t happens so much here.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The possibility exists that if there is a god, instead of being loving, he/she/it is a vicious and uncaring god.

As far as I am concerned, every religion demands worship - and money.

Greeks, Romans and Scandinavians all had their pantheon of gods. Pagans had the spirits of earth, air, fire and water. It is a matter of belief, not fact, as to which religion thinks it is superior to all the others.

Christianity is a religion but doesn't demand money. People can tithe if they want to........

God has given Christians the wonderful gift of tithing. It will help us remember that all belongs to God; it will help us establish order in our finances; it will help us support the church; it will help us prosper. We do not have to tithe to be righteous. ...........................................Of course we should worship our creator. He made everything so common sense he would know what laws are necessary to prevent chaos. People defy him and hurt others because humans have free will, a condition that shows we aren't slaves and can choose our destiny. I don't like a lot of the things on earth and question why some are here, but simply, we are only here for 100 or so years or less, and that's nothing compared to forever. Why he allows things that are evil to happen, and let's people who are evil to run rampant and are ruining the Earth, another question why. Some things, like flies, mosquitoes, gnats, ticks, black flies, and the like are way too populated, more than needed so to speak. He could have made mosquitoes not carry malaria, yellow fever and dengue, so why? We could all have lived 1000 years and then gone on to heaven, as we would be convinced he existed and was loving towards us, and 1000 years is a long time to live without boredom eventually. He could have made earth as big as Jupiter and it wouldn't be over populated beyond sustenance, which Earth is coming to quickly. People invented many gods but if that were the case they would all be in competition, and we would see evidence of this. Sometimes I hate him, but I know he's in charge. Earth has many things that are wonderful, and a lot of us enjoy them, although not for long enough, and some never enjoy them so to me that's wrong. If paradise is much better than all of this with no pain, then that's the reason sh*t happens so much here.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Elaborate please.

God made everything, so to me he has the power to make anything more, but chooses to be discreet so we go by faith. If there were many gods, they would be competing for attention, like politicians, and miracles would happen daily with their name on it. Just a thought.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Humans invented gods a long time ago because they couldn't explain many things.

They didn't know why there was a sun and a moon. They didn't know about seasons, thunderstorms, floods, and many other things.

So, they invented something to explain what they couldn't explain. God did it. And he did it in mysterious ways.

Now, with all above scientifically explained, there would be no reason to invent god. 

But lots of people profit from believers and if you make people believe then they can be manipulated.

If all people would act rationally, they would just conclude that there is no god. But people are not rational, and too many people are interested to have believing idiots who can be manipulated.

I'm convinced and interested in joining your science is god group, how do we subscribe to the newsletter. Where can I send money, to make merit, tithe, save my sinful ass?

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

God made everything, so to me he has the power to make anything more, but chooses to be discreet so we go by faith. If there were many gods, they would be competing for attention, like politicians, and miracles would happen daily with their name on it. Just a thought.

okay

1 hour ago, Dolf said:
1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

And if the Earth isn't flat, we'd all fall off.

Looks like Sparky hasn't kept up with his particle physics. Just because you cannot grasp why something can come from nothing, doesn't mean it doesn't....just like nobody fell off the flat Earth.

You must be a miserable person.

When your argument hits a brick wall, bring out the insults, that'll always work in your favour.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Why did dinosaurs exist?

Great fertilizers while living, creating great living conditions for smaller animals when they went extinct 

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Do you believe in prayers, and who is listening if so?

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Great fertilizers while living, creating great living conditions for smaller animals when they went extinct 

Good answer

12 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

I'm convinced and interested in joining your science is god group, how do we subscribe to the newsletter. Where can I send money, to make merit, tithe, save my sinful ass?

If you want your sinful ass saved, Christianity. AFAIK it's the only religion with the concept of original sin. I don't know which deranged theologians came up with the ridiculous concept a new-born baby is sinful, but there it is.

Science is not any god. It's the evidence and fact based explanation of phenomena which were previously thought to be divinely inspired. Gods are the province of belief in something that cannot be detected by any of the senses.

For example, the prohibition on pork in Judaism and Islam. In those times, the parasite trichinosis was very prevalent in pigs. It made sense to avoid pork.

Nowadays, with modern husbandry and hygiene, pork is as clean as any other meat. However, the two religions still stick to the anachronistic rule.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

All I can say is most churches have substantial portfolios of property, and many are built on prime locations.

I suggest you read John D MacDonald's "One More Sunday", which is fiction, but based on his research into the techniques used by evangelical movements to persuade lay people to part with their cash. It will be the supreme irony when religions start enlisting AI to assist them in that regard.

Sh*t happens as a result of your genetic inheritance, the kind of parents you had, your environmental exposures, and your choices in life. Gods have nothing to do with that.

• Agree 2