If there is a God – Why ?

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually, it's as far from ridiculous as it could be. People need to repent of their sins, know they were wrong, and ask forgiveness, just like any other relationship. In this case, God created everything, including humans, and gave them a choice. Believe in who created you, or put false gods in front of him, or deny there is any God. Your choice, free will. Good deeds are great, but he has his rules, which makes sense because he created everything and knows us better than we do.

If there is a God, what's more important? Treating others well and forgetting your creator, or treating others well, and believing in him? God, if he has indeed created everything from just his mind, surely can do much more, including knowing your heart. Hypocrites can't fool God.

Believing in God and then doing whatever you want, including hurting others, isn't how he wants us to live. We all sin, but some of us have a conscience and don't like our own actions. Doesn't take much to believe that we were created and didn't just happen by chance, which means we have a creator, and if so, that entity is in charge.

Most doctors are agnostics and atheists. Arthur C. Clarke remarked on that fact in his short story, "The Star", which I recommend you read.

Doctors know a lot about anatomy, you don't. They have to, it's Medicine 101. Gray's Anatomy is the Bible as far as medical students are concerned.

Doctors can see for themselves we are the product of evolution over millennia. They can compare the skeletons of fossils such as Neanderthal Man or even go back further to demonstrate convincing evidence we are part of an evolutionary chain.  God did not give us an appendix and vestigial tail, neither of which are useful. Evolution did that.

Against that, the 4000 years of Creationism are ridiculous. Again.

Have you ever thought how criminal it is to compulsorily brainwash children into believing in something, the existence of which cannot be proved, in a Sunday School or madrassa?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually, it's as far from ridiculous as it could be. People need to repent of their sins, know they were wrong, and ask forgiveness, just like any other relationship. In this case, God created everything, including humans, and gave them a choice. Believe in who created you, or put false gods in front of him, or deny there is any God. Your choice, free will. Good deeds are great, but he has his rules, which makes sense because he created everything and knows us better than we do.

If there is a God, what's more important? Treating others well and forgetting your creator, or treating others well, and believing in him? God, if he has indeed created everything from just his mind, surely can do much more, including knowing your heart. Hypocrites can't fool God.

Believing in God and then doing whatever you want, including hurting others, isn't how he wants us to live. We all sin, but some of us have a conscience and don't like our own actions. Doesn't take much to believe that we were created and didn't just happen by chance, which means we have a creator, and if so, that entity is in charge.

Most doctors are agnostics and atheists. Arthur C. Clarke remarked on that fact in his short story, "The Star", which I recommend you read.

Doctors know a lot about anatomy, you don't. They have to, it's Medicine 101. Gray's Anatomy is the Bible as far as medical students are concerned.

Doctors can see for themselves we are the product of evolution over millennia. They can compare the skeletons of fossils such as Neanderthal Man or even go back further to demonstrate convincing evidence we are part of an evolutionary chain.  God did not give us an appendix and vestigial tail, neither of which are useful. Evolution did that.

Have you ever thought how criminal it is to compulsorily brainwash children into believing in something, the existence of which cannot be proved, in a Sunday School or madrassa?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Actually have been in gyms 50 years, trained people for 16. Certified in nutrition in three gym body science courses plus daily reading for over 45 years in what it takes to be healthy, what makes a body work and anatomy. Doctors only take a few courses in nutrition and most aren't using it for their patients, but are over prescribing and killed thousands of people a year. This is why I don't put my trust in doctors.

Who's to say that God didn't make all forms of man, Neanderthal, Cro Magnon, Erectus, Habilis, Naledi, Luzonensis and others. We are the ninth. The Bible was written by men, through Gods words, and some things have been misunderstood of course. God can make the universe out of his mind, he can do many other things.

The majority of doctors actually believe in God, as do at least half of the scientists, which does mean something but to me it doesn't matter. I, and other believers, aren't taking any chances to be swayed by those that were either forced religion by abusive parents, in schools by zealots, or had bad experiences and blamed God because God would never hurt anyone if he loves us. Some can't fathom what forever means and what 100 years, and usually less,  means to that.

There is no evidence that we came from apes or anything else. Just theories by scientists that are given money to research. they aren't always right. People actually think that all of earth's species, all the flora, the way the brain works, that everything alive needs air, food and water, which just happens to be here, how the earth is just the right distance from the sun to have life exist, plus the rest of the universe's wonders, that all of this just happened from a big bang that God didn't do but just happened?  I don't think so, along with the other billions of believers on earth, but if that's what you believe, it's okay, because we will go on teaching our children what's right and hope they follow God so they can have a forever with him also. The rest who don't believe might have some splainin' to do when they meet him, because we all talk to God.

On 3/26/2024 at 12:09 PM, Nemises said:

If there is a God why would he allow this to happen 

What do you mean by “a” God? That makes no sense because a Google search will quickly tell you that there are over 10,000 Gods.

And millions of muppets!

On 3/26/2024 at 12:17 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

Penguins walked thousands of miles from the artic circle, just to get on the ark 

And then had to walk many more miles after the flood,  to get to Antarctica.

On 3/27/2024 at 2:18 AM, Lacessit said:

If anyone ever did a study to ascertain how many people actually had their prayers answered, against those who didn't, it would be obvious.

If there is a god, he/she/it is not listening.

Those who claim to have their prayers answered IMO just got lucky.

Who says God answers prayers?

When you start defining what God is and how God should behave, that's where you run into problems.

Einstein summarized it best. He said sth like "I want to understand the mind of God".

To claim that nothing created the universe is dumb. Even Einstein understands there is sth that created the universise, and called it God.

But it's the details that we simply don't understand. 

People have invented things like "God answers your prayers". We simply don't know much about how God operates. We're just guessing and making things up because we don't like being in the dark and not understanding how things work. 

Albert Einstein quote: I want to know God's thoughts.

Edited by save the frogs
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Who says God answers prayers?

When you start defining what God is and how God should behave, that's where you run into problems.

Einstein summarized it best. He said sth like "I want to understand the mind of God".

To claim that nothing created the universe is dumb. Even Einstein understands there is sth that created the universise, and called it God.

But it's the details that we simply don't understand. 

People have invented things like "God answers your prayers". We simply don't know much about how God operates. We're just guessing and making things up because we don't like being in the dark and not understanding how things work. 

Albert Einstein quote: I want to know God's thoughts.

"Who said God answers prayers?" Christians seem to think so. Are they still posting ads in newspapers saying  "Thank you to St. Jude for prayers answered"?

I am an agnostic, which means I simply don't know. IMO that's smarter than Christians and atheists, who claim complete certainty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jude_the_Apostle#Patronage

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Again the threatening notion non-believers will have to explain themselves to the God you believe in. Do you speak for he/she/it? Do you know what your God will want from non-believers?

Muslims believe Islam is superior to Christianity, as it is the last and most recent word of Allah to the human race. They also reject the notion of original sin. Who is right?

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

"Who said God answers prayers?" Christians seem to think so. Are they still posting ads in newspapers saying  "Thank you to St. Jude for prayers answered"?

I am an agnostic, which means I simply don't know. IMO that's smarter than Christians and atheists, who claim complete certainty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jude_the_Apostle#Patronage

Prayers is for you or the group you belong to, and prayers have an psychological effect on people. 

Prayers also creates bonds, routines, dicipline, ,,,,,, hope, and you form your brain to achive goals

All religions and cultures practice praying for themselves and others. 

Cant say I pray much in my life, but I do some self reflection, and talking to my self, and also manifest goals, short and long terms.

Thoughts:- "I'd rather live my life with God and find out in the end there isnt, than live my life without God and find out in the end there is".

"It doesnt cost and arm and a leg to give your heart to God with love, and you'll never be the same again" Thats not my promise but God's.

What sort of a lfe lost in a wilderness do those  live without at least some sort of god to guide them? A very good teacher appeared about 2000 years ago, probably the best, "to show us the way",  and who would follow their own ways in preference to His? who else  sets a standard for our life? well the choice is ours to go astray by not following Him, as surely is happening at every level in society AGAIN.

Unfortunately, man made religions generally have caused so much division between and within:- Nations, Families and Religions.

We've all heard :-"If all else fails read the instruction manual". So how about the "instruction manual for life", especially part 2?

Billions have chosen it, so until something better comes along, watch that space and in the mean time live and let live.

Edited by Jing Joe
edit
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Prayers is for you or the group you belong to, and prayers have an psychological effect on people. 

Prayers also creates bonds, routines, dicipline, ,,,,,, hope, and you form your brain to achive goals

All religions and cultures practice praying for themselves and others. 

Cant say I pray much in my life, but I do some self reflection, and talking to my self, and also manifest goals, short and long terms.

I don't dispute positive thinking can lead to positive outcomes. Negative thinking can destroy people.

I certainly have my personal routines and disciplines; however, I did not need a religion or prayer to implement them. Self-motivation.

Gary Player is one of the great golf professionals. He said " The more I practice, the luckier I get".

IIRC he is quite religious, but I doubt he ever won a tournament with prayer.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't dispute positive thinking can lead to positive outcomes. Negative thinking can destroy people.

I certainly have my personal routines and disciplines; however, I did not need a religion or prayer to implement them. Self-motivation.

Gary Player is one of the great golf professionals. He said " The more I practice, the luckier I get".

IIRC he is quite religious, but I doubt he ever won a tournament with prayer.

Not everyone is self going, and need guidance, are lost, in pain, and for them it is of great value, but also easy targets for being mislead. 

People are people, 

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Again the threatening notion non-believers will have to explain themselves to the God you believe in. Do you speak for he/she/it? Do you know what your God will want from non-believers?

Muslims believe Islam is superior to Christianity, as it is the last and most recent word of Allah to the human race. They also reject the notion of original sin. Who is right?

It's not a threat. It's making them aware because once you're dead, you don't come back, although some believe you do. Like another said, and I was thinking about before he wrote it. What's so hard adding God to your life, giving you hope? It isn't brainwashing them to teach them that there is a creator and he wants us to follow his laws. Laws which make sense, all of them, even if you're not a believer, besides the first four, which deal directly with God.

I only go by what I learned reading the Bible and other teachings. God wants us to believe in only one god, him, and not to put any false gods in front of him. Makes sense if he's the creator.

Like I mentioned in another post, if there were these 100's of gods, you would certainly see a competition of sorts, a pissing contest if you may, with them trying to one up the other to show who's the better god. Like Greek mythology, where they were at odds with each other.  God has us rely on faith, which is why he doesn't show himself until we meet him after we die. If there isn't a God, how did the universe come to be? I don't believe everything scientists say as I'm not gullible. They get paid for research, and are right about things and some others are guesses, theories, whatever.

Muslims might contradict some things in Christianity, but they still believe in one God.

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It's not a threat. It's making them aware because once you're dead, you don't come back, although some believe you do. Like another said, and I was thinking about before he wrote it. What's so hard adding God to your life, giving you hope? It isn't brainwashing them to teach them that there is a creator and he wants us to follow his laws. Laws which make sense, all of them, even if you're not a believer, besides the first four, which deal directly with God.

I only go by what I learned reading the Bible and other teachings. God wants us to believe in only one god, him, and not to put any false gods in front of him. Makes sense if he's the creator.

Like I mentioned in another post, if there were these 100's of gods, you would certainly see a competition of sorts, a pissing contest if you may, with them trying to one up the other to show who's the better god. Like Greek mythology, where they were at odds with each other.  God has us rely on faith, which is why he doesn't show himself until we meet him after we die. If there isn't a God, how did the universe come to be? I don't believe everything scientists say as I'm not gullible. They get paid for research, and are right about things and some others are guesses, theories, whatever.

Muslims might contradict some things in Christianity, but they still believe in one God.

Biggest sins of book religions, must be lack of respect for gods creations, and all sins against humanity denying humans their rightfully nature, being themselves. Which on other hand creates frustration and more violent nature. 

Putting created fictional laws above natures (god) law!

All book religions is politics to create unity, not god words!

When still in primary school I rejected the idea of the existence of gods and the claptrap that the believers used to try to indoctrinate me.

I could not accept wild stories of waters parting for people to stroll through, kids with gings killing giants on a battlefield, weaponized donkey jawbones and boats with a couple of every living thing on board floating around on a planet completely covered with water.

I refused to continue attending Sunday school nor go to the compulsory scripture class at school. The education system ordered me to sit in silence on a bench outside the class for the duration.

I also got into trouble for refusing to sing God Save the Queen at morning assembly on the grounds it was the anthem of another country. But that's a different story.

All my life I've wondered why so many, of the most intelligent species to have evolved, have a need to believe in various (hundreds) of different deities and the many traditions and practices they have developed without a shred of tangible evidence for their existence.

I can understand that barbaric brain washing of many undeveloped children can warp their minds but can't understand why they are still unable to think for themselves as adults.

I also cannot work out why so many of my species have a need to worship not just an imaginary god, but also dictators, sect leaders, celebrities, families with inherited titles, and politicians.

I also wonder why another religious thread is starting when the other massive one is still around.

I also wonder why I bothered to respond here. I'll be invoking the "idiot" rule if anyone bothers to argue. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

IIRC for many years Christianity forbade things such as divorce and abortion. Some sections still do. Interestingly, Islam does not forbid either. Think of how many lives have been made miserable at the behest of man-made strictures in the name of religion. You really think your God wants that? No nonsense about higher purpose, please. There is no higher purpose in a woman having a back-street abortion because she cannot access decent health facilities legally.

Scientists work from facts and evidence. They test hypotheses against said evidence. Claiming God created the universe has no facts or evidence to support it, only belief. For all we know, the universe could have been created by a pure mentality who has no interest in us, or went somewhere else.

BTW, is your Bible the latest version endorsed by Trump, and how do Christians reconcile his history with their faith? To me, it's Orwell's doublethink writ large.

• Thumbs Up 1

If there is a god , he or she or it created the whole universe , not only our solar system , or galaxy .

Can we agree on that ?

What is it all good for than ?

There are billions of galaxies , each having millions , sometimes billions of solar systems and habitable , ( liquid water ) , planets .

Life is distributed throughout the universe by h2o , water .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_water

It is the third most abundant molecule in the universe (behind molecular hydrogen and carbon monoxide).

There are billions of different lifeforms in the Universe , some becoming dominant on their specific planets .

Like ours .

Time enables evolution .

All lifeforms evolve by selection ( natural or not ) .

Evolution is the key and the answer to why we exist .

Evolve to what ?

Still too early for us to know ... we will know if we , ( our species )  , ever reach a stage of evolution , that enables us to understand the reason , the purpose of existence .

One thing is certain : if we prevent our species from further evolution . ( by destroying the biosphere that we need to survive ) ,

we will just disappear as a species , nothing left , only pollution and a destroyed ecosystem ... like on planet Mars .

We will be losers in the cosmic game of evolution then  .

Others will be more intelligent and survive without destroying their own  planet .

Only these species have a chance to discover more .

So , is there a god or not ?

Depends on your definition of god ... If there was a god who created the initial big bang 14 billion years ago , or if the big bang only was the sudden liberation of matter that existed , incredibly compressed , in a black hole ... we do not know , but some scientists say that there is more than just one universe , the universe may be just be a part of multiverses that constantly create new universes ...

Anyway , a god that listens to your prayers ... most probably NOT .

But , apart from the 4 dimensions known to us , there might be more that we do not know about .

A fifth ,  a spiritual dimension is quite plausible , only we cannot measure this yet , as it is immaterial .

May be the spiritual dimension ( astronomers dark matter and dark energy may have something to do with that ) , delivers some king of response to people who pray to god ...?

But that is purely hypothetical .

All you can do , if you want the survival of our species , is to act in a way that our planets badly damaged biosphere is recovering from what it's dominant species did to it .

But the individual , ( YOU ) , is not surviving the lifetime that is defined by your genes and health .

Your body will die and decompose or be burned .

But , maybe , your spirit will be freed by your body's death , and go to the fifth dimension and become part of the big" gene pool " that may be out there .... Purely hypothetical again , of course ...

Pray and believe in something good is certainly  not bad ,but that alone won't change anything for the better ...

Edited by nobodysfriend

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

All my life I've wondered why so many, of the most intelligent species to have evolved,

I am not so sure we are the most intelligent species on Earth, scientists are still working on understanding dolphins. They probably wipe the floor with us as communicators.

It would be absolute arrogance to assume we are the sole and most evolved intelligence in the universe. Anyone who has been in outback New South Wales at night, no cloud and little moonlight, gets to know how insignificant we really are.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Agree with you Lacessit, you put it all so well and our incredible God-given brain was meant to be used in "self motivation".          There's been so much less-than-positive  thinking in this topic, but for those who are down when times are tough, and feel there's something missing in their heart, they can choose to have the many facets of God's love there to lift them.   Someone else asked "how can you believe in something you cant see"?  Just drop your keys into your hand, and feel the air past your face. Belief in just 2 unseen God-given gifts we cant live without, could morph into a solid support they then dont really want to "live" without.  Underpinng  life's choices with part 2 of the instruction manual for life has benefitted billions of we mere humans.   So be it.    Mockers will cry out  "crutch", but dont know what they're missing out on, and its free. Their choice.

We are just a speck on this beautiful planet in this "indescribable" universe, and if it is God's? "love"?  that puts us here for just 80 odd years, so be it.      Live and let live,  without judging.     A worthy quote?  :- "behold I tell you a mystery" and the 6 pages on this topic is a speck in the looong history of the  mystery.    P.S. I've many wonderful non-believer friends.

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Or nothing anyway, or any time at all ever?

It is ok to say, we do not know, and I choose not to believe, or the opposite.

What I find wrong with people, they are so sure they know,

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It is ok to say, we do not know, and I choose not to believe, or the opposite.

What I find wrong with people, they are so sure they know,

image.png.543090796f0a28c699270b3ef4b4b340.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jing Joe said:

Agree with you Lacessit, you put it all so well and our incredible God-given brain was meant to be used in "self motivation".          There's been so much less-than-positive  thinking in this topic, but for those who are down when times are tough, and feel there's something missing in their heart, they can choose to have the many facets of God's love there to lift them.   Someone else asked "how can you believe in something you cant see"?  Just drop your keys into your hand, and feel the air past your face. Belief in just 2 unseen God-given gifts we cant live without, could morph into a solid support they then dont really want to "live" without.  Underpinng  life's choices with part 2 of the instruction manual for life has benefitted billions of we mere humans.   So be it.    Mockers will cry out  "crutch", but dont know what they're missing out on, and its free. Their choice.

We are just a speck on this beautiful planet in this "indescribable" universe, and if it is God's? "love"?  that puts us here for just 80 odd years, so be it.      Live and let live,  without judging.     A worthy quote?  :- "behold I tell you a mystery" and the 6 pages on this topic is a speck in the looong history of the  mystery.    P.S. I've many wonderful non-believer friends.

I have friends who are religious, I don't inflict my views on them as long as they don't try to proselytize me.

The problem I have with "God's love" is it seems to have gone walkabout, when it comes to those who were sexually abused as children, by the very people who were entrusted with their spiritual care.

The eleventh century was when celibacy was mandated for all priests in the Roman Catholic Church. On the surface, it was intended to increase the purity and detachment of the clergy. It also protected the church from inheritance claims.

Any psychologist will tell you when natural human instincts are suppressed, it is a breeding ground for various perversions.

This is not a case of rogue priests. It's a statistical inevitability. And the church continues the tradition of celibacy.

As Pascal said, " Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."

As witness a grifting ex-President, flogging $59.99 bibles to pay his legal bills. Him as a messenger of prayer and love? Bring me a bucket, please.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thumbs Up 2

Y

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

As witness a grifting ex-President, flogging $59.99 bibles to pay his legal bills. Him as a messenger of prayer and love? Bring me a bucket, please.

Didnt know about that.   Yuk. You'll really need a spew bucket if watching the youtube video about "the 50 worst preachers".

I dont go to churches any more but have never been so at peace or so close to the Holy Trinity.   "People will let you down but Jesus wont."

I wrote above:- Unfortunately, man made religions generally have caused so much division between and within:- Nations, Families and Religions.

"God's love having gone walkabout" is  man-made abominations you refer to and are sure off putting and to think the R.C. church believes their Pope is Gods representative here on earth. !

Oh well... Live and let live.

Edited by Jing Joe
edit

On 3/29/2024 at 9:15 AM, Lacessit said:

IIRC for many years Christianity forbade things such as divorce and abortion. Some sections still do. Interestingly, Islam does not forbid either. Think of how many lives have been made miserable at the behest of man-made strictures in the name of religion. You really think your God wants that? No nonsense about higher purpose, please. There is no higher purpose in a woman having a back-street abortion because she cannot access decent health facilities legally.

Scientists work from facts and evidence. They test hypotheses against said evidence. Claiming God created the universe has no facts or evidence to support it, only belief. For all we know, the universe could have been created by a pure mentality who has no interest in us, or went somewhere else.

BTW, is your Bible the latest version endorsed by Trump, and how do Christians reconcile his history with their faith? To me, it's Orwell's doublethink writ large.

Most of the world's problems are people going against God's rules and making up their own, narcissism, want for power, greed, and other mental illnesses. Religions have indeed made a lot of trouble, because people twist religion to fit their greed and power. 

A woman wanting an abortion for what reason? No husband or boyfriend that will stay? Not enough money to raise a child? That's the reason we have birth control and if women were smarter about men, the world would be in a lot better place. The woman who can't access decent health care is the governments fault. It is they who should foot the bill for all health care, through our taxes, just like Canada does. No reason all other countries can't do this, unless of course they really don't care about their people and only them and their rich friends having all they need. Scientists yes go by facts and evidence, along with educated guesses that aren't always right. Yes, there isn't any proof besides all of what I explained earlier about an existence of God. There isn't any way all of the world's wonders came to be from some kind of explosion. That's for people who have no faith and believe in what others have said because they for some reason trust them, meaning the scientists and others who explain God away. They also have no proof there isn't a God, or that the universe was created by a big bang, with no one behind it. I don't think God turned his back on us. I think he's just watching us self destruct and is close to coming and ending all of this disaster people have created.

Trump to me is an ignorant,moronic example of what happens when someone is given a lot of money and has some people behind him helping him make more. People voted for him,some of my own family actually, because they think since he's a billionaire he should be a good president. He was one of our worst, and hopefully he just goes away soon. I saw him for what he was years before he became president, and sadly, some of my family, who I know are smart people, didn't.

29 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Most of the world's problems are people going against God's rules and making up their own, narcissism, want for power, greed, and other mental illnesses. Religions have indeed made a lot of trouble, because people twist religion to fit their greed and power. 

A woman wanting an abortion for what reason? No husband or boyfriend that will stay? Not enough money to raise a child? That's the reason we have birth control and if women were smarter about men, the world would be in a lot better place. The woman who can't access decent health care is the governments fault. It is they who should foot the bill for all health care, through our taxes, just like Canada does. No reason all other countries can't do this, unless of course they really don't care about their people and only them and their rich friends having all they need. Scientists yes go by facts and evidence, along with educated guesses that aren't always right. Yes, there isn't any proof besides all of what I explained earlier about an existence of God. There isn't any way all of the world's wonders came to be from some kind of explosion. That's for people who have no faith and believe in what others have said because they for some reason trust them, meaning the scientists and others who explain God away. They also have no proof there isn't a God, or that the universe was created by a big bang, with no one behind it. I don't think God turned his back on us. I think he's just watching us self destruct and is close to coming and ending all of this disaster people have created.

Trump to me is an ignorant,moronic example of what happens when someone is given a lot of money and has some people behind him helping him make more. People voted for him,some of my own family actually, because they think since he's a billionaire he should be a good president. He was one of our worst, and hopefully he just goes away soon. I saw him for what he was years before he became president, and sadly, some of my family, who I know are smart people, didn't.

I have no proof there is or is not a god, that's why I am an agnostic. I tend to lean towards not, mainly because science makes advances. That can't be said of religion. The Koran, according to Muslims, is immutable and not a single word can be changed.

The printing press first appeared circa 1440, versions of the Bible and Koran existed well before that. Changes to the Bible are in phrasing only, and are disconnected from modern times. I mean, go forth and multiply, fill the earth? Look where that's got us in terms of pollution and climate change.

Your post is a classic example of victim blaming. IMO many pregnancies are terminated because the woman was pressured by a man to have sex without a condom, or they don't have access to other birth control methods. There's a saying, men give love for sex, women give sex for love. It's how we are wired, by genes or a god.

To me, it's the height of arrogance for men to be telling women what they should do with their bodies, when they instigate the situation.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have no proof there is or is not a god, that's why I am an agnostic. I tend to lean towards not, mainly because science makes advances. That can't be said of religion. The Koran, according to Muslims, is immutable and not a single word can be changed.

The printing press first appeared circa 1440, versions of the Bible and Koran existed well before that. Changes to the Bible are in phrasing only, and are disconnected from modern times. I mean, go forth and multiply, fill the earth? Look where that's got us in terms of pollution and climate change.

Your post is a classic example of victim blaming. IMO many pregnancies are terminated because the woman was pressured by a man to have sex without a condom, or they don't have access to other birth control methods. There's a saying, men give love for sex, women give sex for love. It's how we are wired, by genes or a god.

To me, it's the height of arrogance for men to be telling women what they should do with their bodies, when they instigate the situation.

I'm not blaming a woman about getting pregnant. It happens from sex, and sometimes after the first time.  I'd just like to see them get smarter about how men really are, what they're motives are, how much they will BS for the sex and to what lengths they will go. No condom, no sex. If a man loves you, he will wait, use a condom, and not pressure you. A woman giving sex for love isn't a smart thing. That's what I mean by getting smarter.

Most men are not going to stick around after sex, and some that do will for a little while until they get bored. Many, especially here, won't stay after a child is born, another reason women should restrain until marriage. 

Yes, a woman looking for love will give her body to a man she thinks will stay. Generation after generations of parents have warned their daughters about how men are, IF they do their job, but what happens? Oh, he's so cute, I would love to have his baby, I think he could make a good father, husband etc. Statistics show this isn't the case.

I've read hundreds of books and articles about women, how they think, what they need etc, and I still don't know it all and make mistakes because they look so good. Think about how few women  read up on male behavior, at the teenage stage, when they're the most ignorant, and just follow what their dopey peers do. I've told my own daughters all about men, but they still made a lot of mistakes and were used, abused and dropped, all because they thought, "what does dad know"? Now they tell me, "I should have listened to you back then". But I'll still tell my youngest daughter, who's 7 now, the same things, and hope she gets it. Not to fear men, but to more understand why they do what they do, and that you can't trust many people in this world.

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm not blaming a woman about getting pregnant. It happens from sex, and sometimes after the first time.  I'd just like to see them get smarter about how men really are, what they're motives are, how much they will BS for the sex and to what lengths they will go. No condom, no sex. If a man loves you, he will wait, use a condom, and not pressure you. A woman giving sex for love isn't a smart thing. That's what I mean by getting smarter.

Most men are not going to stick around after sex, and some that do will for a little while until they get bored. Many, especially here, won't stay after a child is born, another reason women should restrain until marriage. 

Yes, a woman looking for love will give her body to a man she thinks will stay. Generation after generations of parents have warned their daughters about how men are, IF they do their job, but what happens? Oh, he's so cute, I would love to have his baby, I think he could make a good father, husband etc. Statistics show this isn't the case.

I've read hundreds of books and articles about women, how they think, what they need etc, and I still don't know it all and make mistakes because they look so good. Think about how few women  read up on male behavior, at the teenage stage, when they're the most ignorant, and just follow what their dopey peers do. I've told my own daughters all about men, but they still made a lot of mistakes and were used, abused and dropped, all because they thought, "what does dad know"? Now they tell me, "I should have listened to you back then". But I'll still tell my youngest daughter, who's 7 now, the same things, and hope she gets it. Not to fear men, but to more understand why they do what they do, and that you can't trust many people in this world.

Most of the planet is in population decline, Russia, China and Japan are faring the worst. Be careful what you wish for.

Most women are monogamous. They are attracted by physical good looks, money, power and intelligence. OTOH, most men are polygamous, if they can afford to be so.

Obviously, you are still thinking of how to respond to my statement  about the anachronistic attributes of the various religious texts. Or perhaps you don't want to.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Most of the planet is in population decline, Russia, China and Japan are faring the worst. Be careful what you wish for.

Most women are monogamous. They are attracted by physical good looks, money, power and intelligence. OTOH, most men are polygamous, if they can afford to be so.

Obviously, you are still thinking of how to respond to my statement  about the anachronistic attributes of the various religious texts. Or perhaps you don't want to.

I was concentrated on my reply about women and I left out the former. Yes, things in religion are living in the past, and the world is suffering from the population, but that's what I meant in other topics when I said God knew exactly how we were going to outlive our habitat, making the earth a certain size and not bigger, like Jupiter. I think we were supposed to be here a certain amount of time, and by the look of how we are exhausting our food supplies, we aren't going to be here much longer.

This is what I've believed for quite a long time. I saw how they were tearing down the Amazon a long time ago, and I know this forest was (is) there for a reason. The earth seems to be warming up faster than the scientists thought back when I was in high school, and that will come with many problems. There are things in the Bible which seems far fetched but who knows? Again, if God can make the universe out from his mind, he can make most anything else happen.

People asked about the penguins swimming from Antarctica to the Ark. They didn't need to. They can spend months at sea, so they wouldn't have been affected. There isn't any way certain animals which are indigenous to America would have made it to where Noah's ark was waiting, but again, God can do a lot of things that are beyond our thinking. Walking on water? Turning a few fish into hundreds? Water into wine? Same.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:29 PM, Lacessit said:

I am not so sure we are the most intelligent species on Earth, scientists are still working on understanding dolphins. They probably wipe the floor with us as communicators.

It would be absolute arrogance to assume we are the sole and most evolved intelligence in the universe. Anyone who has been in outback New South Wales at night, no cloud and little moonlight, gets to know how insignificant we really are.

You could be right about dolphins. I think Orcas are the most advanced of the species.

I've spent many a night under the stars in areas such as the Pilbara (lived and worked there) the WA goldfields (prospecting) and the Nullarbor (travelled several times). The skies in these areas, far from the pollution of the big eastern state's population centers, are magnificent and, yes, thought provoking.