Electric vehicles take center stage at the 45th Bangkok International Motor Show

snoop1130

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

However, for the provinces with the lowest number of EV vehicle registrations last year, Mae Hong Son Province, 1 vehicle

and not much better in other provinces

Number 4 is Songkhla Province with 1,614 cars, Khon Kaen 1,409 cars, Rayong 1,283 cars, Ubon Ratchathani 1,190 cars, Surat Thani 1,177 cars, Phuket 1,039 cars and Udon Thani 965 cars.

https://www.newsdirectory3.com/analysis-of-electric-vehicle-registrations-in-thailand-and-expansion-of-charging-stations/

EV charging stations and EV's are a rare sight in many provinces once you remove the EV that are travelling from the big cities

I was up in Kamphaeng Phet city yesterday and I saw about 8 EV in total. There is even a BYD dealer in the city as well.

For all the wonderful claims about EV its will be interesting in a few years time to see how the owners react, when they have to replace the battery or try to sell the car. That will be when the value of an EV will show its true value.

For me. at 79, the only EV I am interested in purchasing is an electric trike or 4 wheeler, with perhaps a 100 km range to get me to the shops in the local village 6 km away, or the Amphur village 15 km away.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I was up in Kamphaeng Phet city yesterday and I saw about 8 EV in total. There is even a BYD dealer in the city as well.

For all the wonderful claims about EV its will be interesting in a few years time to see how the owners react, when they have to replace the battery or try to sell the car. That will be when the value of an EV will show its true value.

For me. at 79, the only EV I am interested in purchasing is an electric trike or 4 wheeler, with perhaps a 100 km range to get me to the shops in the local village 6 km away, or the Amphur village 15 km away.

In Kamphaeng Phet city you have something that is rarer than hen's teeth excluding Bangkok region there are 

only 5 Tesla superchargers in the whole of Thailand one of those 5 is in  Kamphaeng Phet city

https://www.tesla.com/en_US/findus/list/superchargers/Thailand

2 hours ago, dhupverg said:

When it comes time to replace the batteries, what's the cost?  When it's time to sell, how much are people willing to pay for a used EV?  I've seen a number of news reports about buying batteries costing quite a bit of money, as well as resale markets for EV's basically in the crapper. Parts, how much are spare parts and panels?  I've seen some outrageous prices on fixing vehicles after an accident. 

Interesting that one of the big car rental companies in the US went all in on EV's for rental cars, and the public aren't wanting them.  Now said company has a lot of unused inventory that they are taking a huge loss on.

For Used Car market In Thailand  its a series of unknown's at the moment and its cash only

As to second hand EV's in Thailand that appears to be a developing market at the moment as stated in this article here

Pinyo further explained that if these seized EVs were to be sold in the second-hand car market, it’s unlikely that financial institutions would provide loan schemes for potential buyers of used EVs. The lack of confidence in granting loans in the second-hand EV market stems from the market’s expected small size and the continued fluctuation in new EV prices, making it difficult for banks to calculate the value of used EVs, said Pinyo

https://thethaiger.com/news/business/electric-vehicle-market-faces-risk-from-non-performing-loans

Majority of vehicles purchased in Thailand are purchased using loan repayment finance

This article is indicating that buyers have a greater chance of being approved for a loan on a 2nd hand ice vehicle than of a 2nd hand EV vehicle

at the moment there is just 5 electric cars for sale from private owners on Used Cars Electric Private for Sale | One2car prices from B6,600,000 downwards

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale?profile_type=Private&fuel_type=Electric&page_size=26&sort=price.desc

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

For all the wonderful claims about EV its will be interesting in a few years time to see how the owners react, when they have to replace the battery or try to sell the car. ... For me. at 79, the only EV I am interested in purchasing is an electric trike or 4 wheeler, with perhaps a 100 km range to get me to the shops in the local village 6 km away, or the Amphur village 15 km away.

Make that 8 years, as most carry an 8 year warranty.   The wife will let you know in about 20 yrs, though she'll probably just move the battery pack over to the solar system, unless the rest of the lasts as long as the pack & motors.

LFP Battery cycle.png

decoDiscount.jpg

Not going 100kms ... but 50 kms very realistic ... DECO

And in style ...

image.png.3af581a19fe462a1c594d32139ae4c08.png

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thailand may have an oversupply of public charging stations in the big cities and on the main highways, but the charging stations OFF highway and big cities in the majority of rural Thailand that I know of, are rare.

The nearest public charging station to me is 60 km away.

Then you don't know much about the charging network

60 kms from your home is irrelevant, as you'd be charging at your home.  Though you may need on the last return leg, so that's actually a good thing.  

Yea ... not too many (none) west of the main highway, but again, you really shouldn't need one, knocking around KP.

This is 100 radius from Kamphaeng Phet ... and you got a bunch of charging stations on the main road.   I think you'd be fine.   Unless going due South, if you even can on the back roads, or would.

image.png.87e16cf8809bb31a1412d77a29ec733c.png

image.png.ab8e8bcf767100e0fdbb02e4913e6314.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

The nearest public charging station to me is 60 km away.

If you can charge at home, you would never need one so near your house, nearest you would ever need is 150km and with a BYD Seal maybe 300km away.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

EVs. the biggest scam  on humanity since we invented religion. They are not practical, have zero resale value in the future, but worst of all, their 'whole of life' impact on  the environment is just as bad as petrol or diesel vehicles, if not worse. Watch humanity try to dispose of billions of lifed Lithium batteries in future years, plus all the lead in the vehicle. Try to re battery a Chinese EV, well good luck with that idea. 

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

EVs. the biggest scam  on humanity since we invented religion. They are not practical, have zero resale value in the future, but worst of all, their 'whole of life' impact on  the environment is just as bad as petrol or diesel vehicles, if not worse. Watch humanity try to dispose of billions of lifed Lithium batteries in future years, plus all the lead in the vehicle. Try to re battery a Chinese EV, well good luck with that idea. 

Are you really a Doctor? Of what? Nonsense?

Explain why EV‘s are a scam?

Explain why they are not practical?

Why would you dispose of lithium batteries when the lithium content is of such a high density it makes far more sense to recycle them?

Explain why you think there is so much lead in the vehicle?

Why would I want to read battery a Chinese vehicle when the existing battery is likely to last 20 years?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Are you really a Doctor? Of what? Nonsense?

Explain why EV‘s are a scam?

Explain why they are not practical?

Why would you dispose of lithium batteries when the lithium content is of such a high density it makes far more sense to recycle them?

Explain why you think there is so much lead in the vehicle?

Why would I want to read battery a Chinese vehicle when the existing battery is likely to last 20 years?

https://investingnews.com/lead-in-ev-industry/

Check out the negative environmental impact of recycling old EV batteries.

Chinese EV batteries lasting 20 years, don't make me laugh. The range is 8 to 15 years, depending on vehicle type..  Nothing Chinese lasts very long. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Then you don't know much about the charging network

60 kms from your home is irrelevant, as you'd be charging at your home.  Though you may need on the last return leg, so that's actually a good thing.  

Yea ... not too many (none) west of the main highway, but again, you really shouldn't need one, knocking around KP.

This is 100 radius from Kamphaeng Phet ... and you got a bunch of charging stations on the main road.   I think you'd be fine.   Unless going due South, if you even can on the back roads, or would.

image.png.87e16cf8809bb31a1412d77a29ec733c.png

image.png.ab8e8bcf767100e0fdbb02e4913e6314.png

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you can charge at home, you would never need one so near your house, nearest you would ever need is 150km and with a BYD Seal maybe 300km away.

@KhunLA makes a valid point here about charging stations near your home

Though you may need on the last return leg, so that's actually a good thing.  

although the sensible option would to charge before that one nearest to your house just in case its out of order for whatever reason

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Absolutely correct.

And if I can't charge it at home, then I have a very expensive flat useless battery.

Come back and tell us all how much a new battery will cost when it needs replacing.

Tell us all what the second hand value of your EV is worth at 5 or 6 years old.

You keep plugging the virtues of EV but never mention what happens if it breaks down.

How many garages can actually repair them, and where are those garages in relation to your home?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Absolutely correct.

And if I can't charge it at home, then I have a very expensive flat useless battery.

Come back and tell us all how much a new battery will cost when it needs replacing.

Tell us all what the second hand value of your EV is worth at 5 or 6 years old.

You keep plugging the virtues of EV but never mention what happens if it breaks down.

How many garages can actually repair them, and where are those garages in relation to your home?

Ah, the old "what ifs". Gotta love them.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

https://investingnews.com/lead-in-ev-industry/

Check out the negative environmental impact of recycling old EV batteries.

Chinese EV batteries lasting 20 years, don't make me laugh. The range is 8 to 15 years, depending on vehicle type..  Nothing Chinese lasts very long. 

The world's biggest EV manufacturer uses LiFePO4 batteries in place of Lead Acid for its 12v systems.  Generally, a manufacturer that doesn't uses smaller batteries.

Almost all Lead Acid batteries are recycled, that's why they buy them back from you when you fit a replacement.

On 3/27/2024 at 12:39 AM, Keep Right said:

Yawn...........................EVs are so boring.

Noooooooooo I think they look really good and futuristic, dont like the concept  much though until range and charging are  much faster....... and before the evangelists jump in  i mean 1000km and 10  minutes charge.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:13 AM, hotchilli said:

Japan is going to be very unhappy... Cheap Chinese EV sales up, their sales down

all well and good  when new but will they be as  reliable/  durable as Japanese brands? time  will tell. Personally Im giving it at least another 5 -10 years.

Put it this  way, Id trust the Japanese but I dont trust the Chinese at the moment

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Only the 197th time these questions have come up in these threads, and always from anti-Evers, it is never a genuine question. (Not saying that's true of you but it is true of everyone else who has asked).

Hertz, and it was an incredibly stupid business decision to buy 100,000 Teslas. They are a rental company, people generally rent in towns they are visiting and don't live in. If you're staying in hotels or travelling it is likely you don't have your own charger so an EV is an inconvenience. When you're renting you just want to take off and go where you want to go.

As said a gazillion times, EV's work if you have home charging. If you don't have home charging then they are not really fit for you. EV rentals just don't make sense for most people.

Ok Boggs, how much exactly is a gazillion? Is it more than a trillion?  Anti-Evers, hilarious.  

Interesting video about a guy wanting to sell his Taycan and the dealer didn't want it.  I guess this guy is a paid shill for anti-Evers.

10 minutes ago, dhupverg said:

Ok Boggs, how much exactly is a gazillion? Is it more than a trillion?  Anti-Evers, hilarious.  

Interesting video about a guy wanting to sell his Taycan and the dealer didn't want it.  I guess this guy is a paid shill for anti-Evers.

I tried to sell 2 Toyotas and 1 Mazda (ICEVs) to the dealers, and they didn't want them ... what does that say ?

And no price was even mentioned, they just didn't want them, and tent people barely offered the insured price, on the Toyotas.  Gave the Mazda to the daughter, since not worth selling.

And yet, my 1.5 yr old EV, is insured for more that a new one (when on sale), plus 40k baht.  And only 1/2% off our purchase price, when not on sale.

Not that we would ever sell it, as the battery pack would be worth more added to our solar system, than if sold as a car, 20 yrs down the line.

2 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

all well and good  when new but will they be as  reliable/  durable as Japanese brands? time  will tell. Personally Im giving it at least another 5 -10 years.

Put it this  way, Id trust the Japanese but I dont trust the Chinese at the moment

I wonder what the re-sale prices will be for a second hand EV after 5 years... should be almost nothing, but knowing Thailand they will want 80% of new price

• Like 1

Just now, hotchilli said:

I wonder what the re-sale prices will be for a second hand EV after 5 years... should be almost nothing, but knowing Thailand they will want 80% of new price

Is there a reason why you think it should be almost nothing?

That's not what happening with second hand EV's now.

The youtube video of the chap with the Porsche taught me -

1. Porsche electric cars are crap.

2. A new battery for one costs more than most electric cars (i.e. overpriced). 

Other electric cars are not necessarily so bad. Also, electric cars sales in the UK dipped over the last 2 years as electricity prices shot up (Ukraine war); to charge a car at a charging station was costing more than filling up an ICE. Electricity prices are now falling so probably cheaper to run an electric car again.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Is there a reason why you think it should be almost nothing?

That's not what happening with second hand EV's now.

EV's are a disposable item, when it's faulty nothing mush to repair, the cost is prohibitive if it could be done.

When these pack-up you just dump it.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

EV's are a disposable item, when it's faulty nothing mush to repair, the cost is prohibitive if it could be done.

Sorry, I don't agree, they are not disposable items.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Sorry, I don't agree, they are not disposable items.

Welcome to your view,  as I am mine.

But you wont see many 10+ year old EV's on the road....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rickudon said:

The youtube video of the chap with the Porsche taught me -

1. Porsche electric cars are crap.

2. A new battery for one costs more than most electric cars (i.e. overpriced). 

Other electric cars are not necessarily so bad. Also, electric cars sales in the UK dipped over the last 2 years as electricity prices shot up (Ukraine war); to charge a car at a charging station was costing more than filling up an ICE. Electricity prices are now falling so probably cheaper to run an electric car again.

Porsche electric cars are not crap, they are superbly engineered.  What they are is expensive and some would say overpriced.

I expect new battery prices to drop substantially, this year 50% alone.  Within 10 years probably 90%.  Remeber a battery will probably last 18-20 years.

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Welcome to your view,  as I am mine.

But you wont see many 10+ year old EV's on the road....

I have seen lots of 10 year old BYD's, MG EV's etc

Oh, hang on, You are right because they haven't been in existence 10 years yet. My Bad.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Or you could just replace the faulty module.  If the car can't keep up with the battery pack & motors, they can be sold/repurposed.   Pack for solar systems back up storage.   Already being done.

image.png.9bb3593fab00a2ecdcf478ea05edd2d1.png

How many times does it have to be repeated.  

What don't you people understand ?

I'm starting to think a good portion of the AN members are senile and suffering a bit of, or a lot of Alzheimer's / dementia.

Edited by KhunLA