Electric vehicles take center stage at the 45th Bangkok International Motor Show

snoop1130

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Welcome to your view,  as I am mine.

But you wont see many 10+ year old EV's on the road....

I believe you are very mistaken (source)

Photo from above source:

image.png.cb6994f1103b8d669c355a885826dfce.png

Although Tesla has only been around for about 10 years and only produced / sold 31,655 cars in 2014

(source)

image.png.5c17789e843878914cf492b5f3ef47e0.png

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Why wouldn't you be able to charge it from home? It's never happened to me and I can't think of a scenario other than a power cut where I couldn't, and they never last very long.  That is a nonsense argument.  What happens if your fuel filler pipe falls off the tank? (it happened to me, but it's another nonsense argument).

I doubt I will be alive to tell you how much a new battery costs, but I am guessing a 1/10th of what it currently costs.

At 2 years old I got 90% of new price when I sold one and 78% of new price when I sold another, which is better than ICE equivalents.

What happens to any car under warranty when it breaks down?  they fix it for free, my warranty is 8 years, after that I pay for them to fix it.

Two garages near my home for BYD and two garages near my home for MG. nearest within 3km.

Good for you.

The nearest new car dealers to me are still 65km away.

You are obviously converted whole heartedly to EVs.

I am not, and I doubt at 79 that I ever will be.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Good for you.

The nearest new car dealers to me are still 65km away.

You are obviously converted whole heartedly to EVs.

I am not, and I doubt at 79 that I ever will be.

Understood, I hope I am still here let alone driving at 79.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, vinny41 said:

In Kamphaeng Phet city you have something that is rarer than hen's teeth excluding Bangkok region there are 

only 5 Tesla superchargers in the whole of Thailand one of those 5 is in  Kamphaeng Phet city

https://www.tesla.com/en_US/findus/list/superchargers/Thailand

Looks like more than 5 on the Tesla Thailand map.

With more on the way.

Screenshot(32).thumb.png.a2b2bcad5b9daa794f7ef7b4af810bee.png

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Understood, I hope I am still here let alone driving at 79.

I can comfortably, carefully and slowly drive to the big village 6 km away and reasonably happy enough to drive to the Amphur village 13 km away. Further than that I ask my wife to drive me.

I would like an electric trike or 4 wheeler with a roof and a windscreen but there are few to be seen out here, though electric trikes and scooters are getting more popular.

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

The youtube video of the chap with the Porsche taught me -

1. Porsche electric cars are crap.

2. A new battery for one costs more than most electric cars (i.e. overpriced). 

Other electric cars are not necessarily so bad. Also, electric cars sales in the UK dipped over the last 2 years as electricity prices shot up (Ukraine war); to charge a car at a charging station was costing more than filling up an ICE. Electricity prices are now falling so probably cheaper to run an electric car again.

My Uk house has economy 7 electric just 14p a kw/h.................however the extension  lead to Thailand drops  the voltage down to 8V, gonna  sell the place  soon and it should be a big  selling point for any ev buyer as they dont let you have economy 7 tariffs  now, they have some crap other deal. Just got to leave Thailand for 6 months before bringing the money in as I aint giving anyone the proceeds when i sell it

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Or you could just replace the faulty module.  If the car can't keep up with the battery pack & motors, they can be sold/repurposed.   Pack for solar systems back up storage.   Already being done.

image.png.9bb3593fab00a2ecdcf478ea05edd2d1.png

How many times does it have to be repeated.  

What don't you people understand ?

I'm starting to think a good portion of the AN members are senile and suffering a bit of, or a lot of Alzheimer's / dementia.

MG ZS EV and MG EP+ are modular  only doesn't apply to MG4 

I am not aware of any other Brands that offer modular batteries 

53 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

MG ZS EV and MG EP+ are modular  only doesn't apply to MG4 

I am not aware of any other Brands that offer modular batteries 

Really ... well ain't I special, IP69K & encased in steel ❤️

Sounds like a keeper.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Really ... well ain't I special, IP69K & encased in steel ❤️

Sounds like a keeper.

IP67 according to MG

https://www.mgcars.com/th/mg-models/new-mg-zs-ev/maintenance

I have seen non mg sites use ip69K but no information on how they arrived at that rating

Interesting MG video shows how zs ev battery built does state IP67

44 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

IP67 according to MG

https://www.mgcars.com/th/mg-models/new-mg-zs-ev/maintenance

I have seen non mg sites use ip69K but no information on how they arrived at that rating

Interesting MG video shows how zs ev battery built does state IP67

That's not the upgraded ZS, but pre-2022, easy from the front grill ... :coffee1:

Earlier post, though I didn't note where I sourced it from.

image.png.2b1b234ababc28d9eb6fb54bbccc9dc7.png

EDIT:  Hard to believe, I actually found the source, that took some searching

These below are what popped up w/G search:

image.png.ec2c86d437c526b37d333b2fa4f99ff0.png

image.png.cba089d73315338deb27015872160b24.png

image.png.afe1bf0c2def5946ae670b5f09cd818a.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

That's not the upgraded ZS, but pre-2022, easy from the front grill ... :coffee1:

Earlier post, though I didn't note where I sourced it from.

image.png.2b1b234ababc28d9eb6fb54bbccc9dc7.png

EDIT:  Hard to believe, I actually found the source, that took some searching

These below are what popped up w/G search:

image.png.ec2c86d437c526b37d333b2fa4f99ff0.png

image.png.cba089d73315338deb27015872160b24.png

image.png.afe1bf0c2def5946ae670b5f09cd818a.png

the ip67 rating I found for current MG ZS EV and MG EP+ were from MG Thailand current pages

there isn't a huge difference between IP67 and IP69

IP69K adds protection Powerful high-temperature water jets

24 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

the ip67 rating I found for current MG ZS EV and MG EP+ were from MG Thailand current pages

there isn't a huge difference between IP67 and IP69

IP69K adds protection Powerful high-temperature water jets

The rating is pretty irrelevant for me, as I won't be driving through any water higher than the lowest rubber on the tire, if that.  Made that mistake before with POS Vios, and had to replace the "unsealed' wheel bearings.

As long as the casing resists the spray of a rain covered road, that's plenty for me.  No submersion, no pressure.

9 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Porsche electric cars are not crap, they are superbly engineered.  What they are is expensive and some would say overpriced.

According to the video, nearly every Porsche of his model has suffered heater failure, and there is a 3 month plus waiting list to fix. Not what you expect from a 120,000 GBP car, and it has lost 2/3 of its retail value in 3 years. hardly seems to make it a good buy.... 

I am not anti EV, and will probably buy one when my current Nissan March expires (assuming I last longer than it does!) But not a Porsche.

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

According to the video, nearly every Porsche of his model has suffered heater failure, and there is a 3 month plus waiting list to fix. Not what you expect from a 120,000 GBP car, and it has lost 2/3 of its retail value in 3 years. hardly seems to make it a good buy.... 

I am not anti EV, and will probably buy one when my current Nissan March expires (assuming I last longer than it does!) But not a Porsche.

Porsche had a bad batch of air conditioning/heat pump pressure sensors.  The entire system was outsourced OEM and each car needed 3.

My Porsche EV failed twice, between first and 2nd failures they issued a recall to replace all 3 at first service. Unfortunately, the service interval is 2 years.

Sorry i hit a raw nerve on Porsche's, JB. I do find your posts on EVs, solar power and self sufficiency very interesting and educational. You have aspired and achieved what i just dream about. I am about 1% along on that journey and will never get even half way (not enough money and life expectancy left).

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, rickudon said:

Sorry i hit a raw nerve on Porsche's, JB. I do find your posts on EVs, solar power and self sufficiency very interesting and educational. You have aspired and achieved what i just dream about. I am about 1% along on that journey and will never get even half way (not enough money and life expectancy left).

Funny you should say that, disaster struck this week.

PEA had a planned outage on Monday to trim trees and I was in Vietnam until Friday.

Monday afternoon my live-in maid called me to say the power was back for everyone else but my house.  I tried to troubleshoot from Vietnam but to no avail.  My neighbours took my freezer contents and strew a few extensions across the hedge to run my daughters bedroom fridge and for my maid and her daughter to charge a mobile phone.

Wednesday night the lights went out at my neighbours house (they are also my tenant).  It has a 24 volt lighting circuit for all the ceiling mounted downlights and table lamps that use XLR plugs and sockets so you can't accidentally blow them up plugging into mains sockets.

They still had power but it sounded like the 24v PSU had failed.  

Friday 15:30 I got home and eventually diagnosed that one of my 3 inverters had failed, it was behaving as if the 48v battery wasn't connected.  I bypassed all the inverters bringing power back on but now I have no backup in the event of a power cut.  Maybe the inverter has a large fuse inside, I will get to checking it when I am in the mood.

My neighbour's lights turned out to be an SSR (Solid State Relay) that had failed.  There is a voltage sensing circuit to protect Lead-Acid batteries from being discharged too much in a power failure that triggers the SSR.  If the house loses power a contactor permanently on, opens and closes the circuit to the batteries giving 2 or 3 hours of lighting.  The batteries were replaced with 4 LFP motorbike batteries with built in BMS so the protection circuit is no longer needed so I bypassed the SSR whilst I order another.

A cautionary note on SSR's, they fail after some years, it's a known issue with them, it's probably best to massively oversize them or replace them in planned maintenance every 2 years.  Mine was rated at 40A and probably rarely exceeds 25A.  Another house I build failed after 4 or 5 years.

I may well be selling 2 large 48v LFP batteries of 14.4kWhr each if anyone is interested... Possibly a couple of 5.5kW hybrid inverters...

• Thumbs Up 1