Job offer

Mika78

They offered me a job starting in June. The salary will be 150,000 thb.

We must move to  Phuket, with three kids ( 20, 15, 13 yo), renting an house, considering all the expenses, do you think its a good salary for live in Phuket for the next 5 years? Thank you.

• Confused 2

It depends on your life-style.

I wouldn't call a 20yr old a kid, and are the other two attending international schools? because thats not cheap.

I would say its way more than most live on, but again it depends and there isnt enough info to go on.

Just now, CharlieH said:

I wouldn't call a 20yr old a kid, and are the other two are they attending international schools? 

I would say its way more than most live on, but again it depends and there isnt enough to go on.

I don't go out anymore, cause I had enough of it. I become a gamer addicted, so I spent most of the money for update my flight simulator, buying consoles, etc.

The 20 yo daughter she is working at Texas on Sukhumvit, so I am not sure if she wants, in case, follow us in Phuket.

The others two kids are at Aksorn School

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mika78 said:

We must move to  Phuket, with three kids ( 20, 15, 13 yo), renting an house, considering all the expenses, do you think its a good salary for live in Phuket for the next 5 years? Thank you.

What expenses do your company offer to cover in contract? 

150k pluss expenses (insurance, moving cost, housing, car,  ,,,,) and bonuses, can be lucrative, but 150k flat, I would not bothered breaking up, move, kids start new school (temporary?)

Of course depending on your status q

• Like 1

I think a big question is if you will have that job for the next 5 years with that salary or more. Maybe they don't like you. Or maybe you don't like the job.

What if there is no job anymore, for whatever reason, in Phuket?

Not that there has to be a worst-case scenario, but I guess with your family you have to consider it.

If that is the only job of that kind which you will be able to get in that area, then better think twice. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Best to have a look at the schools there first, price / quality wise. Then look at what sort of housing there is near the school. 

These 2 things will most likely be the most expensive parts of life there. Another factor will be do the kids want to move, do they have a lot of friends where they are now, do they make new friends easy? 

6 hours ago, Mika78 said:

After tax and deductions no it isnt

That isn't much for Western lifestyle, 3-children and wife.

Will you be able to save anything because if anything happens to you, what options does wife & kids have? 

And what will you do after your 5-year contract runs out?  

On 3/27/2024 at 8:00 AM, Mika78 said:

Rent a house for 30.000, add school fees between 20.000 and 30.000 for each, add personal income tax...enough for a decent life. Of course🙏

35 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Rent a house for 30.000, add school fees between 20.000 and 30.000 for each, add personal income tax...enough for a decent life. Of course🙏

Thought the company paid the taxes? So all depending on wat the deal is, and of course if his wife able to work, all kids attending school/university and if kids is all his. Thai wife or falang wife, 

As said it all depends on his status q. 

Moving from abroad and risk everything for an employment in Thailand? 

Insurance for 5 people? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thought the company paid the taxes? So all depending on wat the deal is, and of course if his wife able to work, all kids attending school/university and if kids is all his. Thai wife or falang wife, 

As said it all depends on his status q. 

Moving from abroad and risk everything for an employment in Thailand? 

Insurance for 5 people? 

Nope, Personal income tax is down to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:04 PM, CharlieH said:

I wouldn't call a 20yr old a kid, and are the other two attending international schools? because thats not cheap.

I would say its way more than most live on, but again it depends and there isnt enough info to go on.

My kid is 39.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Nope, Personal income tax is down to you.

My friend is manager for an production company, and he said the company paid taxes for all employees and himself on top of the agreed salery.

He also got two flight tickets home a year, insurance, holiday bonuses (all employees have) fixed appartment expenses so up to him if what he want to spend. 

International companies often also cover school expenses for kids all depending on position of course.

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

My friend is manager for an production company, and he said the company paid taxes for all employees and himself on top of the agreed salery.

He also got two flight tickets home a year, insurance, holiday bonuses (all employees have) fixed appartment expenses so up to him if what he want to spend. 

International companies often also cover school expenses for kids all depending on position of course.

You believe in Santa ?????🙏

1 minute ago, newbee2022 said:

You believe in Santa ?????🙏

I have several friends who is employed in thailand, in international companies. What do you doubt about my information? 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

That is possible but it would be a first for me in over two decades of working overseas. Fact is you need a work permit, without that you can't legally work. If the company sponsors you for that and agrees to pay all your taxes and that is contracted and agreed with the Revenue, great. But taxes are individual and unique to the person/family and need to be tailored. For example, how many deductions/exemptions are you able to claim for children, insurance policies and a whole host of other things, does you company know all of that? And does your contract for them to pay your tax, absolve you of all responsibility, I seriously doubt that. Much more info. is needed on this for me to feel comfortable, but that's just me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Take the job. Move to Phuket alone. Scope the place out and see how the job fits, then move the family.

Planning life in 5-year bites is not a bad strategy.                                                        

Exactly this. Take the job and go there alone, staying in a hotel for at least a few weeks. If you like it, find the rental house and schools and move the rest of the family.